PDA

View Full Version : Please Help me Award "Rick"

eusriws
04-20-2008, 10:50 AM
I'm really impressed with the forum it has helped me alot. I'm really struggling with a project and I don't know what I'm doing wrong. It looks great on the software but when I carve it, it is horrible.

I'm not sure if it is the setting or the wood. Can someone look at my file and settings and point me in the right direction? Thank you so much in advance for helping me.

ncamp
04-20-2008, 10:59 AM
Add small or medium draft to your pattern and text, and try setting bit optimization to best.

Draft adds some slope to the sides of your text and reduces chipout.

eusriws
04-20-2008, 11:02 AM
How do I add small or medium draft? Is the carving bit that came with the machine the right bit for this job?

ncamp
04-20-2008, 11:04 AM
Yes, that is the correct bit.

To add draft, select the object with a left mouse click.

Right click for a menu and draft is one of the options.

eusriws
04-20-2008, 11:22 AM
ok,

I added the medium draft to the project, what exactly does that do?

One more question, I'm using pine 11 1/4 width 3/4 thickness and I have my board settings on 10 by 10 3/4 thickness, would that be correct?

Do you think pine is ok? I'm about head to Lowes so I could get more.

Sorry to be such a pain, I'm a Rookie!!

ncamp
04-20-2008, 11:31 AM
Pine is a very soft wood. It is okay for large, gentle patterns. Harder woods can be better for more intricate details.

Most of my carvings have been on cherry, walnut, brazillian cherry, and purple heart. Mainly because, I have a good bit of it on hand. Lowes carries (at least around here) pine, red oak, and poplar. You may want to try poplar or oak.

The draft adds a slope to the pattern so that instead of a step, "_|" you get a slope "_/". This makes it easier on the wood and produces less chipout.

As far as board size, typically, you want your wood to be 7" longer than your board in designer. This gives 3 1/2" on each side to stay under the rollers. As you learn more, you may decide not to use this option, but to start with, it is a good idea.

Lin
04-20-2008, 12:43 PM
I have carved a lot of pieces in plain ole Lowes pine and most come out fine if the origial file is good. I always will try it in pine before using my hardwood any way...but I played with your file a bit and changed the font you were using plus adjusted the depths and added drafts on the different pieces of it plus a feather on the outer circle...In looking at it on an angle and close up I think this will carve better for you...If you want the entire piece to be an oval you will need to add an outer oval with a cut path.
Lin

eusriws
04-20-2008, 03:36 PM
I'm going to carve your version now, I'll keep you posted.

N camp, your ideas really made a difference, I really learned a lot from both of you today, thanks again.. I'm going to carve this version..

Rick

ncamp
04-20-2008, 04:10 PM
Rick,

Just about all of us had the same problems on our first attemps. Play with the software and read over the old forum posts, and you will be an expert in no time at all.

ChrisAlb
04-20-2008, 04:17 PM
Also, always look at your project from many angles. Most times that will show you very clearly how high things stand out. Text is one of the most problematic parts of a carve if it stands out too tall. It will almost always chip out.

eusriws
04-20-2008, 07:04 PM
Hey guys, thanks for all of the suggestions and help, you got me through my project, after all of the modifications my last rough draft turned out great, I will post the final in the appropriate forum when it's completed, again many thanks for the prompt and awesome support...

Rick

hotpop
04-20-2008, 09:51 PM
eusriws,

Welcome to the forum,

I reviewed your mpc file. I noticed your stick figures were made of double lines with a high center. The high centers will probably do a lot of chipping. I don't know how you acquired the stick figures and assume they are just line drawings.

If you can bring your drawing into a graphics editor fill in the middle area between the lines with the same came color as the edges. Then resave it to your favorites library. This will make your figures one line but much wider and not as likely to chip.

A tighter grain wood and reducing the depth will help. You might try .150 instead of .250.

BTW: You have an excellent source of hardwoods from all over the world in Zebalon, NC called East Wake Hardwoods. http://www.eastwakehardwoods.com/