PDA

View Full Version : Another QC question

DStimpson
04-20-2008, 10:04 AM
Per the advice I received on these forums, when my Sears Compucarve QC needed replaced, I called LHR, gave them my machine info (S/N, date of purchase, etc) and they sent me a new QC kit (QC, square wrench, and stubby,flat, 7/8" wrench). I have assumed that based on the info I gave LHR, I received the correct QC for my machine. The boggle I have is, although I bought the machine at Sears, LHR sent me the internally threaded QC. I thought that the Sears machines had the swaged QC. Is it in some way easily obvious externally which one I have (excuse me if that is an inane question)? I have not yet been able to remove the broken QC. Any help would be appreciated........

Kenm810
04-20-2008, 10:14 AM
DStimpson,

Only the QC Chuck from LHR will fit or work on both the CW and CC machine,
the one that Sears sells is for the craftsman routers. It looks very much the same,
but is not interchangeable

ncamp
04-20-2008, 10:52 AM
Did a search for "replace QC" and found this link:

http://www.carvewright.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2040&highlight=replace+qc

That should answer your questions.

Digitalwoodshop
04-20-2008, 11:13 AM
The changing of the QC is a daunting task the first time, especially since they put thread lock on the QC at installation.

You will need.....

A heat gun or hair dryer to heat the QC without forcing the air toward the rubber belt of the Z.... The heat is needed to soften the thread lock.

I would remove the top cap held by 2 screws to gain better access to the square drive fitting. I stripped my first one that required me to send the machine in for a new spindle... A Humbling event.... for a Mr. Fix it.... That Broke IT...... My fault...

The direction of turning the QC to remove it is the same direction as loosening a hand held router bit if you get confused. Holding the top with the Allen and moving the wrench, it;s wrench right to left to remove.

User RJustice sells a kit with a bit and wrench that is BIGGER and makes the job easier. I highly recommend the investment. I use a 3/8 ratchet and socket to hold his bit and the longer wrench makes it easier.

You will need blue lock tite to reinstall the new QC. CAREFUL to only put a small amount on the threads. BLUE THREAD LOCK INSIDE THE QC will cause you BIG PROBLEMS. I see a bunch of complaints about the QC and wonder how many are USER Caused by OVER use of Thread Lock....

Good Luck,

AL