PDA

View Full Version : Help with my first scan

Steven Alford
04-19-2008, 09:12 PM
I made my first scan, no problems.
I loaded it into the CC software and I can see it on the screen
But I can not do anything with it.
I want to crop away the outside perimeter that I do not want.
In the EDIT menu crop is there but it is grayed out. I would assume
I need to select the scanned project, but I can't figure out
how. Anyone with a little help???

Steve

Steven Alford
04-19-2008, 10:53 PM
OK, so I searched, took two hours but I found the answer.

TIP: You do NOT have to do a screen shot of your scan in order to trim your scan. You already have a handy-dandy Crop Tool right in the Pattern Editor software itself. Just select the square box Selection Tool / then click and drag to draw your box tightly around the scan / go to the Edit Menu / then select "Crop" (or press Ctrl-g). Just so you know, after the pattern is cropped, you may not notice any difference on your display screen, but trust me, it worked. (You can test this by selecting any portion of your pattern, crop it, then you WILL see that area surrounding the box is gone!)

In fact, you should ALWAYS use the crop tool to closely crop your scanned pattern as your final step before you save it. If you don't, then when the pattern is ever rotated in the Designer software, it will "resize itself". Weird, but true.

Avoid the "resize" problem altogether by closely cropping your scans right to the edges on all sides, before you save it as a pattern. (If you don't crop exactly to the object's visible edges, then you'll still have the resize problem if your pattern is rotated in Designer.)

I was trying to manipulate the actual scan on the left. you should be doing that to the picture on the right.

Steve

Steven Alford
04-19-2008, 11:27 PM
Well, here it is,
It is the lid of an antique jewelry box
that belonged to my Great grandmother.

Kenm810
04-20-2008, 06:33 AM
Way to go Steve,

Good looking scan job.

The best part was being able to find the information you needed on the Forum yourself.
And then by posting and sharing it, you made it possible for other carvers out here
to learn a little more about these machines and software, from your time searching for an answer.
Well Done.

jackssib1
04-20-2008, 03:49 PM
Keep up the great work.
I go around looking for things to scan all over, even at others homes,,lol
Thanks
Jack

fwharris
04-21-2008, 04:02 PM
Steve,
Great job on the scan and finding your own answers! Most of the time the answers are out there you just have to put on your hip boots and start wading through all the posts.

Again great job and thanks for sharing.

Steven Alford
04-21-2008, 08:58 PM
Thanks guys.
I should be getting my down draft table soon and I will be able to get busy
with all the carves I plan on doing.

Steve