PDA

View Full Version : Text Bug Report

hotpop
04-19-2008, 05:59 PM
Here's a new one on me. I inserted the same text, same spacing, same font and set the height to 1" high on lines #1 and #2. The only difference is Line #1 includes a comma. So instead of both lines of text being the same Line #1 is reduced by the distance the comma hangs down. This shouldn't happen.

This is a problem when trying to line up multiple lines of text as the actual text height can be different. There is no way to measure the actual text height to determine a percent of error.

Lines #3 are two lines insert inserted in the same command and both lines are normal.

Centerline text is shown but the problem is the same with raster and outline text.

My question is: Is this a bug that everyone knows about? I don't recall reading about it or is it a bug the LHR has let slip between the cracks.

Hawg_man
04-19-2008, 06:29 PM
Text size is determined by the box size and with a comma the other letters will be constrained by the box........I observed this a while back but don't look it as bug but just the way this software works.

Bob

hotpop
04-19-2008, 06:34 PM
Ya Hawg_man, It just the way this software works. That doesn't make it right. With a few lines of code they could fix it.

Digitalwoodshop
04-19-2008, 06:36 PM
When I selected the text and did a Edit and retyped it, I ended up getting the same problem YOU did.

When I erased everything and typed it from scratch I get GOOD results....

Could be you have mutable copies of the same font in your computer?

Could be something with the grid? Snap to? Didn't use grid.

I would say it is a computer problem not a LHR problem? Just my guess.... email both files to software at LHR. They DID get back to my Font problem a while back and DID make it happen with a letter spacing of anything grater then zero. I used spacing of 6 for my sample just like you did.

So my guess is it is you computer... Mutable copies of the font loaded?

AL

AskBud
04-19-2008, 06:37 PM
Hotpop,
I do not think the comma is at fault, as you surmise.
If you had a lower case "g, P. j, or q", you would have the same situation. The height is from the top-most point to the lowest point (of the font, seen in your typed words), not the Font alphabet of expected characters.

Number 3 looks correct only because it is on two lines and therefore not restricted the same a line #1.
AskBud

ncamp
04-19-2008, 06:43 PM
I just tried one and had no problem. I was scratching my head and I realised that I had a lower case p in there which hung down like the comma did.

Same problem as yours if I tried with no letters that hang down, like gjp, etc.

Here is what I tried. I added a comma to Line 2. The software changed the height to 1.195, but left the text the same size. Took the comma out of line 2 and it stayed the same size, but said it was only 1.0 inches. Took line 1 and changed the height to 1.195 and now it is the same size as line 2.

I guess the work around would be to stick a comma at the end of everything and the go edit it out later.

hotpop
04-19-2008, 08:17 PM
CAD programs, which I've been using for 25 years, measure the height of text by the upper case letters. The standard measuring system for text, whether it's inches, millimeters or points has been around since before Ben Franklin's time. That's a lot longer then LHR has been in business. They need to comply and get it right.

There's no reason that we should have to use work-a-rounds to do such a simple task.

jlitz
04-19-2008, 08:48 PM
CAD programs, which I've been using for 25 years, measure the height of text by the upper case letters. The standard measuring system for text, whether it's inches, millimeters or points has been around since before Ben Franklin's time. That's a lot longer then LHR has been in business. They need to comply and get it right.

There's no reason that we should have to use work-a-rounds to do such a simple task.

After doing typesetting for many years long ago, the 'standard measuring system for text' has nothing to do with the height of upper case, lower case, ascent, or descending and has far more to do with the line spacing (point size) the designer of the font style has chosen.

LittleRedWoodshop
04-19-2008, 11:53 PM
outloud here, for those of us that Know nothing of CAD programs. I don't see this as a problem and see no reason to fix it.

I like the fact that when I'm working on something I can keep the text confinded to a certain box size.

Sorry but I see this as the way that the program was designed, sorry this is no CAD program, it is the design software for the CarveWright machine.

I think that we should be happy with the fact that we have the system at all and stop beating the folks at LHR up about a system that have manufactured.

hotpop
04-20-2008, 08:01 AM
The problem is when you have several individual lines of text you don't know what your going to get. The text heights are inconsistent and not measurable.

When you put all your text into one command all the lines are the same and that's great. If you want individual lines, its a shot in the dark as to what scale you need to use them to get the lines all the same height.

Digitalwoodshop
04-20-2008, 09:15 AM
That is why they call it Designer not Winer.... If you want the text to be all one size then make your own paragraph using a hard return at the end of each line and keep on typing.

Don't expect to type 5 words then 1 word and expect it to be the same height. Work within the parameters of Designer and type 6 words with a hard return and you get what you want.

Just because the Designer Software does not work like CAD is NO reason to beat it up.

This is a lot to do about nothing. Back to carving not complaining.

AL