PDA

View Full Version : Board Creep:

lootlam
04-19-2008, 04:11 PM
Hello,

I'm having a problem with the board moving when doing milling cuts. The board will creep in the MINUS "X" direction leaving a stairstep series of cuts on one end. I'm cutting parts for a toy train from 3/4" RED OAK. Each depth of cut has steps in the PLUS "X" direction. That means the board shifts in the MINUS "X" direction.

I plan to add some sandpaper on the bottom of the next board. I beleive this will give a better grip. Has anyone tryied this sandpaper idea?

Digitalwoodshop
04-19-2008, 05:35 PM
Masking Tape will fix your problem. A strip where the brass roller contacts the board.

Do a "Search" on this topic and you will find some posted a day ago and every week for a few months. I wouldn't do the sand paper on the bottom, could damage a bit if cut through.

AL

Kenm810
04-19-2008, 05:38 PM
I was having the same problem several months ago.
It seemed like every time I would use Red Oak or Hard Maple that I had planed flat I would get little parallel lines or steps on the project, I figured the bottom of the wood was to smooth and was slipping on the brass traction sensor. So I started scuffing the bottom of the board with my orbital sander and the slippage stopped. Later Al from Digitalwoodshop mentioned he was putting strips of masking tape on the bottom of some of his projects and it gave the brass roller something to bite into so the project wouldn't creep or slip in the “X” axis. I tried it and it worked great, now I use masking tape on all my projects especially on those using a Sled or Carrier board. --- its been working for me.

To slow typing ya beat me to it Al http://www.carvewright.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_razz.gif

RanUtah
04-20-2008, 07:00 AM
I use masking tape on every project no matter how large or small.

Digitalwoodshop
04-20-2008, 09:02 AM
I do too.... Every board.... A board foot of Masking Tape is always cheaper than a board foot of wood.

A Happy Brass Roller.... is a happy Carver.

AL