PDA

View Full Version : Router Bits

jerrbitt
04-18-2008, 08:39 AM
A Carvewright rep told me that I should not use router bits other than what they sell. I'm talking about edging bits of which I have many for my various routers.

True/False?

cnsranch
04-18-2008, 09:17 AM
I researched the same question couple of months ago. Bottom line, no problem using other bits, make sure they're high-quality carbide - my 60 and 90 v bits came from woodworkers supply for about $22 a piece.

Make sure when you install them into the adapters (CW has them for about $6, but the shipping is pretty steep - someone posted a thread the other day about adapters from Sears for a good price) that you use blue loc tite on the allen screws - I've read where guys are having bits come loose without the loc tite, and either messing up their project, or worse, the machine. A bit coming loose at 22,000 rpm can do some damage.

mtylerfl
04-18-2008, 09:21 AM
A Carvewright rep told me that I should not use router bits other than what they sell. I'm talking about edging bits of which I have many for my various routers.

True/False?

You can use other bits as long as they meet the same specs as the CarveWright bits (but you leave yourself open to voiding your warranty if a mishap occurs using a non-approved bit).

The reason the Tech advised you not to, is because there's always going to be someone out there that will use other bits that do NOT meet the same specs and cause problems. So, to be on the safe side for their customers, they will always recommend that you use the CarveWright bits. I would do the same thing myself, just to eliminate the possibility for the customer hurting him/herself and/or causing damage to the machine.