PDA

View Full Version : Mysteries Large washer

ScottS
04-17-2008, 11:08 PM
I started with the part brakedown pdf. But I am unable to find where this washer came from. I got parts today for the x-Drive gear and board sensor.
I had the btm plate, X drive motor off ,flex cable unhooked, and both side covers and top plastics off the machine today. Somewhere along the line I had a large washer drop out. I will look again tommorow. But it's bugging me not knowing.

I'm not sure if the x drive motor had this on it but Thats prob. where I would start looking.
anyone else seen this part?

ChrisAlb
04-18-2008, 05:23 AM
That washer is from the top of the vertical posts. It's actually one of 8 steel shims that sit between the top of the vertical posts and the top cover. I had to find mine in my shop vac when all but one got sucked up during a disassembly and cleaning.

When I found the one, I knew there had to be more. I used a magnet and went fishing in the vac full of saw dust. Just like real fishing, sometimes you pull up what you weren't looking for. I also found a C clip but it wasn't from the CW. And no, they are not in the parts list. Drove me nuts trying to figure it out.

See pictures...LOL

badger
04-18-2008, 07:16 AM
You really want to make enemies of your friends wait until they have the machine broken down and then when their not looking toss in about 10 different size washers into the mix. :rolleyes:

DocWheeler
04-18-2008, 07:19 AM
So you're the one!

Jeff_Birt
04-18-2008, 08:30 AM
As told by an unknown repair technician to an acquaintance of mine, "Those are bush parts."

That is, the parts that are left over when you are done putting something back together. The machine runs without them, so you just toss the extra parts in the bushes on your way out the door.

:D

ScottS
04-18-2008, 10:42 AM
I will start looking for the 7 other ones.:)
I had the side cover off a couple days ago and don't rember seeing any on the top post put I will take a closer look under the top cover.

Thanks, I was beating my head.

ScottS

Digitalwoodshop
04-18-2008, 12:20 PM
Check the screw and washer at the pivot point of the red handle....

AL

rjustice
04-18-2008, 05:59 PM
You really want to make enemies of your friends wait until they have the machine broken down and then when their not looking toss in about 10 different size washers into the mix. :rolleyes:

I used to build race engines in my younger days, and one of my so called "friends" brought over a few extra parts and put them in the wash tank. i think that we had a couple head bolts, a rod nut or two, and even a main bolt. Of course we were having beverages as we worked on the engines back then, and I distinctly remember the wrenching in gut when i walked over to get the last bolts for the timing chain cover, and discovering all of the extra parts.... they let me go for about 5 minutes before they busted a gut laughing about it. I think that was the day the saying was born "with friends like that who needs enemies".... LOL... Sorry to get off topic... just had to share

ScottS
04-19-2008, 01:06 AM
All I could find was 6 washers.
How critical are these?

I used a washer I had in hand to replace the missing one today and other Than the 2 hours on the phone w LHR for the codes 246 and 186 and switch cover. I did.nt have anymore probs.
We Never did get to the botom of the codes either. We checked all kinds of things as far as wiring and so forth but never did get any definite prob found just started working. This scares me a bit as I feel like I will be seing prob with the z drive or y drive before long. And as far as the switch cover that prob started after the top was off today. Never did get to that prob either just stop after the 2nd project today. :confused:

ScottS

ChrisAlb
04-19-2008, 05:10 AM
Scott,

Did you find 6 of the original shims or just 6 washers you had kicking around?

As far as how critical they are, after finding and replacing mine, I never really dug into what they are for. I have heard they were supplied with the new Z-pac to shim the top up so the Z motor doesn't hit while moving back and forth.

But now here's the funny thing. I have the old Z-pac and have those shims. Others have stated that they got the new Z-pac and never heard of them. They put the new pac in and all works fine (no hitting). So I really don't know if you need them.

Now mine were stuck to the top of the posts with a little grease which is why I didn't see them and they got vacuumed up. Perhaps others who replaced the Z-pac faced a similar situation and they have them but know it.

ScottS
04-19-2008, 01:38 PM
I found 6 orginals. Put those back on 3 post and 1 thicker washer on the 4th post . I can't say I had any prob with anything hitting. but at least I know what to look for now .Yep Mine were stuck on top of the post with grease too. The 2 missing ones were from a previous tear down last weekend. Not sure where they went. But I did make sure they were'nt stuck somewhere in the machine.

Thnaks ScottS