PDA

View Full Version : Steps carved in wood

Timeless-Creations
04-17-2008, 09:20 PM
Hello,
I am trying to use the cutout tool to cut a 1" thick board.

It made several passes, however ever pass was slightly off from the last creating the steps in the wood. I have a picture attached.
I used the 1/8" straight bit to make the cutout.

What would cause this? How do I fix?
Thank you for your help,
-Lee

eromran
04-17-2008, 09:26 PM
It would be a little more helpful if you could also post the MPC file.That way everyone could see if there was some setting that may be off.

Timeless-Creations
04-17-2008, 09:29 PM
unfortunately I can not post the file because it is a copyrighted Lyre that I am producing.

It appears that every time the machine goes to make another pass it is off by about 1/16".
-Lee

eromran
04-17-2008, 09:45 PM
If this is happening away from the copy right design can you just delete it and post the remaining file.

mtylerfl
04-17-2008, 09:50 PM
Hello,
I am trying to use the cutout tool to cut a 1" thick board.

It made several passes, however ever pass was slightly off from the last creating the steps in the wood. I have a picture attached.
I used the 1/8" straight bit to make the cutout.

What would cause this? How do I fix?
Thank you for your help,
-Lee

Hello,

It appears the board is shifting or binding during the cutout process.

Possible causes...
1) you failed to add the additional 7" length to your project board (you MUST keep board under the rollers at all times)
2) the board is slipping on the traction belts
3) the sliding plate is too tight against the board causing intermittent binding
4) the board does not have parallel sides, causing intermittent binding
5) the brass roller sensor is losing contact with the board bottom edge

Jeff_Birt
04-17-2008, 09:51 PM
Do a search for 'stair stepping'. This is caused by your board slipping on the board tracking sensor. It can be caused by a cupped/ twisted board, incorrect down pressure, a really hard slick board, a missing o-ring on the sensor, etc. Al a.k.a. Digitalwoodshop came up with the idea of running a strip of painters tape along the bottom edge of the board where it contacts the sensor. I found this works really good with MDF.

Try the above search I mentioned for even more information. 'Search' is your friend...

ncamp
04-17-2008, 09:53 PM
I usually fix it with my oscilating belt sander.:confused:

I believe this is caused by the wood slipping slightly on the roller when it is cutting. Masking tape on the edge of the board helps some. This does not explain why it sometimes only happens on one side of the cutout.

p.s. Sorry Jeff, we replied at the same time.

Timeless-Creations
04-17-2008, 09:57 PM
The lyre design itself is copyrighted.
I have a contract as the only provider of these lyres to the company.
I can not post the file because others would then be able to produce the lyre breaking the copyright and possibly opening up myself and others for legal issues.

I can answer questions as to settings in the Carvewright designer software.

Basically I used the software arcs, ect... to draw out the lyre.
mirrored it and joined the two halves together. With a lot of work I managed to get the arcs back to where they belong due to the bug.

I use the "Cut Path" tool to cut out the outside of the lines.
I do not do the "flip cut" or "hide cut-out"

My board settings are exactly 1 inch thick and the exact dimensions of the lyre. The ACTUAL board was a bit wider and over 7" longer (3.5 on both left and right)

I used the 1/8" straight bit to do the "cut path."

I just noticed the depth is set for .062
is this the depth used for each pass? doesn't seem right...
It appears the machine used 5 passes to cut through a 1" piece of wood.
This would be 1/5 an inch or .2 inches.

could it be the machine losses tracking? The cuts from the top to bottom of the board appeared good. The cuts on the left and right were off every pass.

Hope this helps more and sorry I am not able to post the original file.
-Lee

Timeless-Creations
04-17-2008, 10:02 PM
Ah.... a few replies came in as I was typing my last message... :)

Thanks for the advise...

Tomorrow I'll check the down pressure and the belts.

The wood I used today was a piece of pine for test purposes.
I know it was not cupped at all... ran it through the drum sander a billion times.
The sides were all squared up too.
Also had more than 7" to work with... a bit more than 3.5 on left and right...
Can't use the oscillating belt sander due to several tight inside curves.

Thanks for the help and I'll look at things tomorrow.
-Lee

Jeff_Birt
04-17-2008, 10:02 PM
Lee please see my first response....the board is slipping...

TerryT
04-17-2008, 10:03 PM
If the cut is too close to the end of the board the board will come off of the brass roller causing the machine to stair step. Make sure you have sufficient wood beyond the end of the cut to maintain contact with the roller.

ncamp
04-17-2008, 10:04 PM
There are no settings for a cutpath. Designer automatically sets them. The only choice you have is to cut inside the line or outside the line (flip cutout).

One question that may help, What wood are you using?

AskBud
04-17-2008, 10:16 PM
I'm out of my realm, but I had a thought or two.
1) Did you, also, select the 1/8 Straight Bit (in Designer)?
2) Do you, by chance, have a Taper or Feather on the edge design that could be the reason for the steps?
AskBud

Jeff_Birt
04-17-2008, 10:25 PM
Guys, the board is slipping on the board tracking sensor...it is a mechanical problem.

ncamp
04-17-2008, 10:34 PM
That is why I asked about wood type. I've had certain woods which would do that. I've learned some of the species that need tape.

LittleRedWoodshop
04-18-2008, 01:04 AM
my machines does this as well, will try the mentioned fixed. But, it only does it on one end of the piece.

mtylerfl
04-18-2008, 08:25 AM
my machines does this as well, will try the mentioned fixed. But, it only does it on one end of the piece.

Typically when there is stepping is on one end of the board only, it can be traced to the board being too short and not kept under the rollers. Adding the 7" to the board (or using a sled) usually takes care of that problem.

Digitalwoodshop
04-18-2008, 12:12 PM
I think it comes down to two problems.... The out feed table is not adjusted properly so when the board is supported by ONE roller and the out feed table it tips up and looses contact with the brass roller. And two... Not staying under 2 rollers.....

The masking tape will help too...

AL

mtylerfl
04-18-2008, 12:26 PM
I think it comes down to two problems.... The out feed table is not adjusted properly so when the board is supported by ONE roller and the out feed table it tips up and looses contact with the brass roller. And two... Not staying under 2 rollers.....

The masking tape will help too...

AL

Good call, AL. Yes, if the outfeed tables are not adjusted perfectly, that will indeed cause the board to "bump" and he'll get the stepping. I forgot to mention that.

NOTE: If the board is not too heavy, and if the board is not too long (under 3 or 4 feet) I just lower the outfeed tables completely out of the way so they never touch the board at all.

rjustice
04-18-2008, 05:48 PM
It is worth taking a few minutes to set the outer support rollers when anyone gets a new machine. Mine were off probably 1/4 of an inch, and caused a very pronounced line in my carvings when the board was both pushing onto, or dropping off of the rollers. take a straight edge and take the time to adjust them in a line, and the cross check them diagonally. I clamped up a 3' aluminum level to tweak it in. Verify that the are still accurate after clamping it up in a couple locations by jogging it up to, and over the roller to verify no movement, but touching.

On the brass tracking sensor, you also need to be watching for knots, or small missing sections of wood on the edge that would cause a gap only in small spots. also a big radius on the wood edge takes it away from the brass tracking sensor, so it wont be able to read at all. This device is how the machine keeps track of where the wood is. If it isnt causing the brass roller to turn accurately, your carving is not going to be accurate either.. I have had a couple problems happen from exactly this.

Happy carving,

Ron

Kenm810
04-18-2008, 07:04 PM
All this resent talk about out feed tables got me thinking, it’s been months since the last time I checked mind.
So I got out my handy dandy 4 foot aluminum level, (I got a bigger one Ron) and centered it through my machine.
I cranked the head down to operating pressure.
The front table was perfect, but the out feed table on the back of the machine was drooping down nearly a quarter of an inch.
It’s not hurting anything; most of projects of sleds are less than 36” long.
But as long as I had some spare time I figured I’d release the nuts and lock washers and set it were it belonged.
Went to my hand tool cabinet and got a hand full of my small open ended wrenches 1/4’” nope to small, 5/16” nope to small, 3/8” nope still to small, 7/16” -- ha -- to big -- aah come on - what size wrench is between 3/8” and 7/16” --- 13/32” open ended wrench --- not in my tool box. Wait, -- wait a minute it’s metric --- 10 mm metric nuts, -- nuts!
Guess I’ll have to break down and buy a set of metric sized wrenches
Hey hold on a minute; does anyone know if they sell metric Crescent Wrenches??? http://www.carvewright.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_confused.gif

Steven Alford
04-19-2008, 12:01 AM
Yes, you will find them next to the metric hammers in your local hardware store.

Steve

fwharris
04-19-2008, 12:04 AM
Located just to the left of the metric yard sticks..

Ken Massingale
04-19-2008, 05:00 AM
I find them beside the left handed hammers (http://www.toolsforworkingwood.com/Merchant/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=toolshop&Product_Code=MS-GDCHH.XX&Category_Code=TA)!

Eagle Hollow
04-19-2008, 06:11 AM
Right next to the board stretchers

Kenm810
04-19-2008, 07:49 AM
Thanks Guys, I now can really depend on you,
when ever I have a question, or when I’m trying to find something,
You're right there, on the spot ready to tell me where to go ----
Wait a minute that don’t sound right --- suggest where to go ---
Nope that’s not much better --- ah ---- I see --- it was little Humor – a little clever Wit.
I see now, I guess I only caught half of the Humor and Wit.
I suppose that makes me some kind of half W--
Wait a minute that don’t sound right. ---- I give me a couple of minutes to think about this one. http://www.carvewright.com/forum/images/icons/icon6.gif

Digitalwoodshop
04-19-2008, 08:26 AM
Located just to the left of the metric yard sticks..

Meter Stick.... Snicker....

ChrisAlb
04-19-2008, 08:51 AM
Right next to the board stretchers

Hey, I own three of those board stretchers. I love how long it takes the new guy on my crew to find them in the truck when I send him for just one of them....lol

Timeless-Creations
04-30-2008, 12:03 PM
Sorry for the late reply, been out of town for quite a while. I'll be getting back into the woodshop this evening....

The board I was using is Pine. It had a bit over 7" extra to work with.
It was not cupped or had knots in it. I actually took off over 3/8 an inch through a drum sander to ensure it was near perfectly level on top and bottom.

Tonight I will:
- Check downward operating pressure w/ a bathroom scale.
- Check infeed/outfeed tables
- I am using the 1/8" straight bit. (not the tapered. Made sure of this)
- Use masking tape on next test project
- Look for metric crescent wrench.... :rolleyes: (think it is next to my blinker fluid???)

One other question... I didn't find it in the manual... Is it easy to adjust the downward pressure? It says to call tech support if it is incorrect. I guess I'll find out tonight... :)

I was 5 years army... worked in a telephone switch for a while... We would send the new guys looking for "dial tone" all the time. We had 2 coffee cans for that. When asked where the dial tone was, we would point at the cans. The new guys always picked the one that had something in it but never looked (just a few nuts and bolts to rattle inside). When he/she would bring it to us, we would remark "why did you bring that one??? It is shorted out, can't you hear it?" Ah...the good ole days picking on the new folks... :)

Thank you for the advice!
-Lee