PDA

View Full Version : Edge routing While Staying Under Rollers

zman
04-17-2008, 07:06 PM
Here’s one for the pros. I am working on this carving with the final project being done with an edge routing. Now I know though reading the forum that a lot of people do not use the CC to edge rout. But I sit here with this amazing machine that I bought the bits to do the edge carving and figure there has to be a way to do it. I have spent a lot of time reading on the stay under the rollers and again I believe that this is a rule that needs to be followed as I have had carving come out with lines in them. I have read the Dec Tips which has a lot of great info in it on the stay under the rollers subject.
I am using a board 29 X 7.50 and the actual finished size I want is 22 X 7.50 Now the question is HOW do I set up the designer software to do the edge routing if I lie to the machine by adding 7” to the board. I have tried to add the 7” equally to each end of the board in the designer, add a edge rout and cut path to the ends cutting off the 3 /12” extra with not so good of results. I get question asked to me by the machine like length 22.067/29.00, Scale to fit. Center on width. And cut board size. Which there is no yes or no answer. I get a #1 by them other than the cut board size which I get the y or n. When I did run this project it shrunk down the picture loosing about ¾” on each width side. I stopped the job figuring that it would also shrink everything else.
So how can I stay under the rollers and still do an edge rout? Thanks in Advance for any help on this subject. I know it has to be something simple I am missing.

Zman

Amonaug
04-17-2008, 07:20 PM
The machine is asking you which of those 3 options you want to go with since the length of the board that it measured is longer than the designer board.

1) Scale to fit will skew the design in many ways and is probably the worst choice.

2) Center on width is the one you want to select

3)Cut board to size will probably just cut off 7 ", also not desirable in your case.

zman
04-17-2008, 07:28 PM
I have to select something on each of these options. The choice for instance is #1 Center on Width. How does a person not choose this option. If I hit #2 it goes to jog to position.

zman

AskBud
04-17-2008, 07:36 PM
Here is a previous post, by Cmdr.Rav, that touches on your question.
I hope it helps.
AskBud

Quote:
Well here is what the manual says,

Workpiece Preparation
Before carving can begin a number of menu prompts and machine
operations must be navigated.
The machine will ask if the workpiece is to Stay Under Rollers. Keeping
the workpiece under the top rollers is a way of avoiding undesirable snipe
in the cut and maintaining contact with the Board Tracking Sensor at all
times. It is recommended that this option be used when under the
following circumstances:
• Best carving quality is desired
• The project has routing to or near the ends of the board.
• The project has cutting to or near the ends of the board.
• The project is longer than 20 inches and there is carving to the
ends of the board.
If YES to Stay Under Rollers is selected the machine will automatically
assure that there is 3-1/2" extra length on either side of the project. In
most cases a longer piece of material will have to be inserted to account
for this extra length. The other option is to have the project scaled to the
board size while accounting for the length needed to keep under rollers.
Most times this will not produce the desired effect.
The machine will then measure the workpiece. If the size of the inserted
workpiece does not match the size of the designed project then the
machine will prompt for additional information. The machine will ask
different questions based on if the workpiece installed in the machine is
larger or smaller than the project designed in the software. If the
workpiece is smaller than the designed project, then the options are:
Scale the project to fit the workpiece or Load New Board. If the Scale
option is selected then options Center On Board, Jog To Position, or Place
On Corner are displayed in order to locate the project on the workpiece.
WARNING: Be very careful when scaling down a project at the
machine. The machine will scale the entire project to the
largest size that will fit the inserted workpiece while
maintaining the overall aspect ratio of height to width. It will
not change the aspect ratio to fit that of the inserted
workpiece. Scaling down can also lead to undesirable
thinning of carved elements that may lead to chip out.
FIGURE 21: GRAPHIC DESCRIPTION OF STAY UNDER
ROLLER OPTION (AREAS A&B ADDED)
Workpiece size as
shown in the design
software
Workpiece size as
shown in the design
software
A B

The machine will then measure the workpiece. If the size of the inserted
workpiece does not match the size of the designed project then the
machine will prompt for additional information. The machine will ask
different questions based on if the workpiece installed in the machine is
larger or smaller than the project designed in the software. If the
workpiece is smaller than the designed project, then the options are:
Scale the project to fit the workpiece or Load New Board. If the Scale
option is selected then options Center On Board, Jog To Position, or Place
On Corner are displayed in order to locate the project on the workpiece.
WARNING: Be very careful when scaling down a project at the
machine. The machine will scale the entire project to the
largest size that will fit the inserted workpiece while
maintaining the overall aspect ratio of height to width. It will
not change the aspect ratio to fit that of the inserted
workpiece. Scaling down can also lead to undesirable
thinning of carved elements that may lead to chip out.

I see it as a suggestion, not a must. Oh well that's what makes the world go around...differences!

Rav

Amonaug
04-17-2008, 07:51 PM
I have to select something on each of these options. The choice for instance is #1 Center on Width. How does a person not choose this option. If I hit #2 it goes to jog to position.

zman

You use the arrow keys to scroll through the selections then press enter for the one you want.

So when this come up you should see
1)Scale to fit

press right arrow key and see

2)Center on width

press enter

mtylerfl
04-17-2008, 10:19 PM
Hello zman,

You do NOT want to use any scale-to-fit option whatsoever...also, you do NOT want to cut the board to size during the setup procedure before the actual project begins.

Yes, 3.5" needs to be added to each end (total of 7") for the project to stay under the rollers (which you did - good for you!).

Center on length - "YES" is what you want. (not center on width)

If your finished size is 22"x7.5" AND you want a complete perimeter edge route, you will need to add extra width to the 7.5" dimension to allow at least 1/2" from the top edge and bottom edge of the board as it appears in Designer. Depending on your bit selection and width of the rout, you can probably get by with a board that is 9.25" wide instead of the 7.5".

So, your board you put into the machine will be 29" x 9.25". You will also need to go back to Designer and change the 7.5" dimension to 9.25".

Re-position your design layout to keep the rout at least 1/2" away from the top and bottom edges, as well as the cutpath you will need to add so the project is cutout for you to your finished size as the last procedure of the project. Alternatively, you could trim the board to size (after the carve is done) on a tablesaw instead.

Keep the 22" length in Designer - that's fine the way it is. I believe your problem is the board width, not the length. That's why you are being prompted with the scaling and center on width options.

Let me know if that makes sense to you, and if that allows your project to come out exactly the way you want.

zman
04-18-2008, 06:16 AM
Thanks Everyone who posted, I will try these this weekend as I have a day job. Michael T. If I understand your post I need a wider board with the project that I am trying to do? I am just trying to get the logic down on this. Is it because of the words and picture are too close to the edge and wanting to do a edge carve? I have done the project with a 22 X 7.50 board and not staying under the rollers BUT as I said I get lines in the final project. Also this will do the edge rout with 3 sides edging real good But the one end has a much smaller rout to it not matching the other 3. Again I will try this on Sat am and get back to you. Thanks

Zman

mtylerfl
04-18-2008, 08:20 AM
Thanks Everyone who posted, I will try these this weekend as I have a day job. Michael T. If I understand your post I need a wider board with the project that I am trying to do? I am just trying to get the logic down on this. Is it because of the words and picture are too close to the edge and wanting to do a edge carve? I have done the project with a 22 X 7.50 board and not staying under the rollers BUT as I said I get lines in the final project. Also this will do the edge rout with 3 sides edging real good But the one end has a much smaller rout to it not matching the other 3. Again I will try this on Sat am and get back to you. Thanks

Zman

Hello zman,

Yes, the problems you are having are because the board is not wide enough to achieve a consistent edge rout around the entire perimeter. If you follow the guidelines, I think you will get the results you intended in the first place.