PDA

View Full Version : Here's a few of my spring projects.

Gary Koval
04-16-2008, 02:08 PM
Well we finally got some halfway decent weather here in Cleve. last week and I cut a few projects and even managed to get a "honey do" project off my back. Thanks so much to those of you who share your patterns they are greatly appreciated. So #1 is the log cabin bird house, really turned out sweet. I mounted this on a broken spade shovel, found that a 1 1/2" pvc pipe fit over it tight, put a screw in it, then glued a threaded nipple on top, used a female threaded cap to hold a piece of flat lexan in place, then just screwed the lexan to the underside of the house and now it sits in the Misus front flower bed, one off the "honey do" list. #2 is the Firefighters Prayer for a friend who will give it to her son a Firefighter in Brooklyn, Ohio. See the next post, same thread for the other two projects.

Gary Koval
04-16-2008, 02:16 PM
(#3) The next is an early Mother's Day gift for my wife who IS the biggest hummingbird fan around. I made a two sided plaque with two different poems, mounted on a hanging basket holder. It is held on by a chain link which a fishing swivel is attached then the plaque then the feeder. With the feeder full the whole thing stays stationary until a pretty brisk wind comes by. So hopefully the birds won't be scared away. (#4) is a POW/MIA sign which I will put out front with the Flag.

oldjoe
04-16-2008, 03:48 PM
Nicely done projects. Great paint job on them as well. One question now that you have one off the Honey do list does that mean that two more have been added.
Thanks for posting keep them coming.

Kenm810
04-16-2008, 03:58 PM
Nice projects Gary, thanks for sharing

Gotta luv those todo lists,
the weather's getting nicer and lists keep getting longer.
What's a wood carver going to do. http://www.carvewright.com/forum/images/icons/icon11.gif

sweliver
04-16-2008, 05:33 PM
Very nice!

sw

Ken Massingale
04-16-2008, 05:45 PM
They're all excellent, Gary.
ken

myshop1044
04-16-2008, 08:02 PM
Hi Gary, Love your projects, one or two quick question.
1. how did you get your POW MIA to wrap around the circle and still hold a straight line across the top.

2 how do carve outside the oval with the birds, did you carve first and then cut out when you were finished.
I would like to try something like that too
maybe you could attach the file then I could take a look, if you don't mind.

thanks alot:p

Myshop

Amonaug
04-16-2008, 10:47 PM
Hi Gary, Love your projects, one or two quick question.
1. how did you get your POW MIA to wrap around the circle and still hold a straight line across the top.

2 how do carve outside the oval with the birds, did you carve first and then cut out when you were finished.
I would like to try something like that too
maybe you could attach the file then I could take a look, if you don't mind.

thanks alot:p

Myshop

For the overhang pattern try
http://www.carvewright.com/downloads/tips/CarveWright_Tips_and_Tricks_Mar08.pdf

Gary Koval
04-17-2008, 02:15 PM
Myshop1044,
I've attached the POW/MIA file which was a jpeg online that I just brought into designer sized it to my wood and let the machine cut it. In reference to the overhang hummingbirds, as much as I'd like to give you the file the hummingbirds were a bought pattern so I cannot. However, in the March "Tip and Tricks" newsletter from Carvewright it explains how to do it and thats how I did it, really kind of neat the way it works. I've attached the hummingbird file minus the birds. Anyway hope this helps!
Gary

mtylerfl
04-17-2008, 03:20 PM
(#3) The next is an early Mother's Day gift for my wife who IS the biggest hummingbird fan around. I made a two sided plaque with two different poems, mounted on a hanging basket holder. It is held on by a chain link which a fishing swivel is attached then the plaque then the feeder. With the feeder full the whole thing stays stationary until a pretty brisk wind comes by. So hopefully the birds won't be scared away. (#4) is a POW/MIA sign which I will put out front with the Flag.

Gary, those came out great - super paint jobs on all of them!

myshop1044
04-17-2008, 05:43 PM
Thanks for the reply, I'm going to look up the March "Tips and Tricks" and see how it's done.
the Mia appears to be a pattern, I would still like to know how to make those letters go around the circle in that fashion.

I enjoy takling to you, well got to go make some sawdust tonight.

later

Myshop1044
weather is great in south Louisiana this time of year.:lol:

AskBud
04-17-2008, 06:31 PM
Thanks for the reply, I'm going to look up the March "Tips and Tricks" and see how it's done.
the Mia appears to be a pattern, I would still like to know how to make those letters go around the circle in that fashion.

I enjoy takling to you, well got to go make some sawdust tonight.

later

Myshop1044
weather is great in south Louisiana this time of year.:lol:
When you are in the TEXT area, typing your words, look at the "Arc Text" option, and the sample in the black box. The attachment shows an arc of (-)180 Degrees.
AskBud

Amonaug
04-17-2008, 06:39 PM
When you are in the TEXT area, typing your words, look at the "Arc Text" option, and the sample in the black box. The attachment shows an arc of (-)180 Degrees.
AskBud

That will wrap the whole text, not just the bottom like in the MIA. That would have to be done in something like Corel Draw and saved as a .png

AskBud
04-17-2008, 06:57 PM
That will wrap the whole text, not just the bottom like in the MIA. That would have to be done in something like Corel Draw and saved as a .png
Sorry I presumed that the previous post, on this thread, by Gary (at 3:15 pm) had been read and that the question applied to arcing text not the MIA in particular.
AskBud

QUOTE:
Myshop1044,
I've attached the POW/MIA file which was a jpeg online that I just brought into designer sized it to my wood and let the machine cut it. In reference to the overhang hummingbirds, as much as I'd like to give you the file the hummingbirds were a bought pattern so I cannot. However, in the March "Tip and Tricks" newsletter from Carvewright it explains how to do it and thats how I did it, really kind of neat the way it works. I've attached the hummingbird file minus the birds. Anyway hope this helps!
Gary
Attached Files POW MIA.mpc (26.0 KB, 13 views)
Hummingbird poems 2 sided minus birds.mpc (29.0 KB, 14 views)

alljoy
06-06-2010, 09:44 AM
Gary
I love this carving you did. Very nice job. Would it be possible to get the project or pattern file please? I'd like to do one for a friend who is a volunteer firefighter.

Thank you,
Joyce

Gary Koval
06-06-2010, 06:58 PM
Alljoy,
Here is the pattern you wanted!