PDA

View Full Version : Centerline Behavier

Ivanq
04-16-2008, 10:43 AM
While using centerline yesterday I was watching the carve and noticed that it was skipping letters. At first I thought about stopping the carve but then thought I might as well let it run. After it finished the last letters at the end the machine cycled back and put in missing and uncompleted letters. What's with that?

The carve came out just fine by the way -

Cliff in Roswell

Dhaffner
04-16-2008, 11:08 AM
I'll take a stab at this...
The programming for machines like this usually tries to make the most efficient use of the tool...think of it like this:
Some people, when hand writing, will write a whole sentence and then go back and cross their t's and dot their i's. They basically don't want to stop the flow of writing to add those bits. The machine is doing a kind of equivalent of that....it performs a set of functions to completion, then goes back and handles another set of functions to completion. There isn't any reason to carve them in order. I've seen vinyl cutting machines do the same thing.
For instance, if you were cutting a series of boxes..the programming might decide to cut all the straight bottom lines of the boxes first, then all the tops...then go back and add the sides instead of doing each box individually.

I don't know if that makes any sense for you, but maybe someone else will have a better explanation.

oldjoe
04-16-2008, 11:15 AM
I have watched this over and over again and it never ceases to amaze me. Dhaffner I believe is correct the machine is trying to get the most out of every move well at least in its mind.
So I have given up trying to figure out how it thinks just happy that it remembers to go back. Now if it only had Spell check. :rolleyes:

Digitalwoodshop
04-16-2008, 11:46 AM
I do centerline very often and have see it often skipping letters and coming back. I think sometimes when I make a spelling correction to a word and when it does it's thing before putting it on the card it finds the corrected letter later in the process and comes back.

Just a thought....

AL

ScottS
04-16-2008, 08:31 PM
Digitalwoodshop I do centerline very often and have see it often skipping letters and coming back. I think sometimes when I make a spelling correction to a word and when it does it's thing before putting it on the card it finds the corrected letter later in the process and comes back.

Just a thought....

AL

I am not to sure of that.

I've ran 9 centerline projects now and noticed this on everyone of them. I know that when I typed these in All spellings were corect. 8 times it skipped the letter in the middle on what would be a top row (3" letters in two rows top and bottom 12"w x 24"L board). On the 1 odd ball it left off the top middle and the last letter bottom row. it then did the last letter Btm row then top middle letter. I too thought this was odd. Although It did not have any probs. doing it that way.

My 2 cents

ScottS