PDA

View Full Version : How does the cut-through tool work?

sxemike
04-15-2008, 10:07 AM
Does it do a complete cut through all at once? or will the machine cut it in several passes? I'm just trying to figure out the best way to cut out a pattern. Currently I use the line tools and select a bit and depth to .001 more than the board thickness. I'm working with acrylic now so I like to keep it this way so it cuts in multiple passes. The disadvantage is there are no tabs to keep everything in place. I have to go back and set the depth in a few places to a little less.

board = .75"
cut = .751"
tabs = .748"

I'm going to start using some exotic wood which is kind of expensive. Which option should I use?

ChrisAlb
04-15-2008, 10:19 AM
Use the cut path option. It does cut the depth in several passes and the tabs are automatic.

Amonaug
04-15-2008, 11:10 AM
Use the cut path IF you aren't using a sled. Otherwise it cuts through everything including the sled.

MikeMcCoy
04-15-2008, 11:46 AM
Use the cut path IF you aren't using a sled. Otherwise it cuts through everything including the sled.

I can verify that. :rolleyes:

sxemike
04-15-2008, 12:24 PM
I will, eventually use a sled.

Would this work:

12x12x3" sled with the 8x8 center routed out to 2 7/8" except the corners of the 8x8 which would be routed to 3/4".
This would let the 8x8 workpiece float above the bottom of the sled. The pieces that I am cutting are small enough that they would drop down into the sled but big enough not to fly around the machine. The CC won't be able to reach them once the pieces fall through and could continue carving with out damaging anything.

Does this even make sense? I might have to draw a picture.

hotpop
04-15-2008, 12:49 PM
sxemike,

Don't let any pieces fall or float. If the loose piece bumps into the cutter it is liable to break the cutter ane/or ruin your project. Consider putting double back tape under areas that might fall free.

AskBud
04-15-2008, 04:22 PM
Use the cut path option. It does cut the depth in several passes and the tabs are automatic.
Chris,
This is a good fact to know, thanks for the post.
Do you know how much depth is carved on each pass, in order to complete the work?
My machine is in for repair, so I can not check for myself.
I have not found this info anywhere so far. I did see a video where a gear was being cut, in multiple passes, but there was no audio to explain the process. I wondered at the time if it was automatic or several commands.
Thanks,
AskBud

Amonaug
04-15-2008, 04:47 PM
Think it took about 4 passes to cut through 1/2 board so I'm guessing around 1/8" per pass.

Rustir
04-15-2008, 05:55 PM
I recently did the memo board project and it only put two tabs on one side of the pencil holder. While the memo board was being cut the pencil holder dropped out and jammed the machine. If you have more than one piece to be cut from a board I would keep an eye on things and be ready to lift that cover.

ncamp
04-15-2008, 06:05 PM
I recently did the memo board project and it only put two tabs on one side of the pencil holder. While the memo board was being cut the pencil holder dropped out and jammed the machine. If you have more than one piece to be cut from a board I would keep an eye on things and be ready to lift that cover.

Had that happen to me as well. Fortunatly, the piece that fell out, fell out when the that part of the board was behind the machine. It dropped down out of the way. I've started adding a couple of manual tabs on larger projects. By the way, the cutout was one of two 18" cutouts on a 48" board.

forqnc
04-15-2008, 07:01 PM
I will, eventually use a sled.

Would this work:

12x12x3" sled with the 8x8 center routed out to 2 7/8" except the corners of the 8x8 which would be routed to 3/4".
This would let the 8x8 workpiece float above the bottom of the sled. The pieces that I am cutting are small enough that they would drop down into the sled but big enough not to fly around the machine. The CC won't be able to reach them once the pieces fall through and could continue carving with out damaging anything.

Does this even make sense? I might have to draw a picture.

sxemike,

Don't let any pieces fall or float. If the loose piece bumps into the cutter it is liable to break the cutter ane/or ruin your project. Consider putting double back tape under areas that might fall free.

sxemike. I would agree with hotpop on this one. When you make a cut path the software allows the tabs to hold the piece in place and it is usually the last cut depth. If your sled is hollow at the bottom the tabs will be made in thin air and the piece will be floating and could cause problems.

sxemike
04-16-2008, 07:12 AM
I'll leave the tabs then...