PDA

View Full Version : Bit Insertion

jerrbitt
04-13-2008, 07:41 PM
Twice I lost the bit when I thought it was secure in the chuck. First time, just embarassment; the second time, it broke.

It seems that I have to exert a lot of pressure to compress the chuck to accept the bit. Is this usual or is their any point of lubrication to ease this task. At times when I remove it, I have to resort to the special tool that is furnished.

Just my machine with its idiosyncracies or is this common?

Jeff_Birt
04-13-2008, 08:09 PM
Is this usual or is their any point of lubrication to ease this task.

This would suggest that you are not lubricating the chuck/adapters? CW suggest cleaning the chuck with a bit of 3-in-1 oil on a rag and wiping some 3-in-1 oil on the adapters before each use (in the users manual).

Also, check out this article on maintenance:

http://www.carvewright.com/downloads/tips/CarveWright_Tips_and_Tricks_Jan08.pdf

Kenm810
04-13-2008, 08:13 PM
At one time, I was having problems loading and removing the bit and adapter.
It turned out to be wood chips and especially fine dust that was packing up in the chuck with the lube I had been using and fouling the chuck, I thought I was cleaning it, but it seems I was just packing it tighter up inside the mechanism. I used a mirror to better see what I was doing and switched to T-9 for lubrication. I haven’t had the problem since, I did buy an extra QC chuck From LHR and the proper removal tools from rjustice just in case, but I am still holding them in reserve for now.

hotpop
04-13-2008, 08:14 PM
jerrbitt,

The outer ring of the chuck should slide up about 1/4". When inserting bits make sure it is all the way up then let it snap down.

A drop or two of 3in1 oil around the top of the chuck may help loosen it.

About every third or fourth bit change I put a drop of 3in1 on the tip of my little finger and rub it inside the chuck.

jerrbitt
04-13-2008, 08:40 PM
The machine is only a few week old but from day one it's been tough to get the bit seated. I have been putting a little bit of 3 in 1 oil on the adapter when inserting and I'm following "Pops" advice and putting a few drops at the top of the chuck as well.

Maybe it will loosen up. I hope.

fwharris
04-13-2008, 09:32 PM
Jerrbit,

You do have to be careful about putting to much oil in the QC. To much oil will cause the fine dust to gum up. I would highly recommed that you follow Kenm810 suggestion and do a very good cleaning of the QC. You will need an inspection mirror, work light and a fine shafted pick (long needle, fine wire, crochete hook).
Just start picking away at it. It does take a little bit of time and after a while your eyes and hands even adjust to working upside down!!

Occasionally lightly tap the side of the QC and blow out the inside with low volume air. I set my comp. around 25 lb.

Try working the QC up and down, rotate it to see if it works better in another location.

Keep doing this until you have to stop cleaning the dust off your inspection mirror to see the chuck. Re lube the inside. I clean mine like was going to clean the barrel of my gun. Oil it, wipe with clean rag until you do not see any residue. Repete the oil and wipe until you do not get any residue at all.

Since I have been doing this I have not had to use my bit removle tool.

Also insure the set screws are tightened all of the way. I had 3 set screws on my new bit set that were loose.

PS: Thanks Kenm810 for the cleaning procedure. Works great!

scw
04-14-2008, 04:59 AM
I've used graphite powder on the QC and have had no problems. Just be sure to wipe/blow away and extra that falls onto the sand paper belts and to give the QC a few spins to jar any extra out...it will dirty up your next piece of wood if you over apply and dont clean up the overflow.