PDA

View Full Version : Tutorial - Pierced Carving

jerrbitt
04-13-2008, 10:22 AM
I've emailed CW twice about the faulty tutorial "Pierced Carvings." The video on mine is fine but the text/instructions are garbled -- the words are not readable.

I even went to the online version and no difference.

Solutions anyone?

AskBud
04-13-2008, 11:52 AM
While you are waiting on your reply from CW, see if this helps.
AskBud
Notice:
The following Zipped download of an AVI Lesson is 13.9 Mb in size and the download time will depend upon the speed of your ISP connection.
AskBud
Here is a Zipped AVI Lesson on Pierced Carving using the CW Tutorial.
http://www2.wcoil.com/~nharbison/cw-pierced%20carving.zip

Jeff_Birt
04-13-2008, 01:33 PM
I've emailed CW twice about the faulty tutorial "Pierced Carvings." The video on mine is fine but the text/instructions are garbled -- the words are not readable.

You may not have the right codec to match the video. I'll try downloading it and see if it works...

pkunk
04-13-2008, 01:44 PM
I have no problem with it. It amazes me that when some people have computer problems they can blame it on a bad source. :rolleyes:

Ken Massingale
04-13-2008, 01:45 PM
same here, can't read it.

Jeff_Birt
04-13-2008, 01:59 PM
It looks like it is recorded with Wink. Wink uses flash, it is possible you have a corrupted flash player. You can download the latest version here:

http://www.adobe.com/products/flashplayer/

The other common things to check are video card drivers. Sometimes they can really give you fits with certain applications. You'll have toe find the make of your video card/chip-set and find the MFGs website to download the latest drivers. The only other thing I can think of is that you might have a really low resolution display. I'm not sure how the text is done with Wink, if the text is part of the video or overlaid. You might want to make sure you have not turned on any extra settings to make you text appear larger.

Ken Massingale
04-13-2008, 02:07 PM
I have the latest Flash player and use Flash every day. That particular tutrial is real bad. Some of the others are bad, but can be read, others are fine.

Jeff_Birt
04-13-2008, 02:45 PM
What about the other things I mentioned?

Ken Massingale
04-13-2008, 03:03 PM
What about the other things I mentioned?
Everything is up to date, Jeff. I have the same issues on my laptop and desktop, with 'almost' all the tutorials text. Like I said, some are o.k., some are hard to read and a few are not readable.

AskBud
04-13-2008, 03:18 PM
Everything is up to date, Jeff. I have the same issues on my laptop and desktop, with 'almost' all the tutorials text. Like I said, some are o.k., some are hard to read and a few are not readable.
From what I see, it's very possible that the bulk of the tutorials were made to conform with the 1024 x 768 screen(s). The Pierced lesson reads well on that size (other than mis-spelling & arrow placement). Since most of us have wide screens, we may have some distortion(s).
AskBud

Jeff_Birt
04-13-2008, 03:34 PM
It looks fine on my 22" screen...

Ken Massingale
04-13-2008, 04:13 PM
My laptop is at 1280 by 800 and the desktop is 1280 by 1024. The one thing they have in common is that both use Nvidia display drivers.

Amonaug
04-13-2008, 04:27 PM
1280 x 1024 res on a 19" monitor and latest drivers and flash and some aren't readable to me.

AskBud
04-13-2008, 04:29 PM
My laptop is at 1280 by 800 and the desktop is 1280 by 1024. The one thing they have in common is that both use Nvidia display drivers.
See if this helps.
Instead of clicking on the "Full Screen" option, when opening, move your mouse to the lower Left corner and drag the screen to a size where the words appear best.
AskBud

LittleRedWoodshop
04-13-2008, 04:54 PM
I gave up on them a long time ago...they have never been readable to me.

eugenepsearl
04-13-2008, 04:54 PM
Are you objecting to the green continuation buttons covering up some of the instructional text?

LittleRedWoodshop
04-13-2008, 05:00 PM
I'll save a screen shot and put a link up.

If you play with the size of the window a little bit, you can get it to look pretty good (but never great)

Ironically I am also running an NVIDIA graphics card.

Screen Shot (http://tallented.hypermart.net/screen-shot.jpg)

mtylerfl
04-13-2008, 05:37 PM
I have found for most of the tutorials the text is perfect, but there are two that the text is very poor.

For the tutorial on "Drilling Holes" the text appears sort of squished and stair-stepped. Still legible, though.

...and...the tutorial about "Clipping a Carving" text is completely illegible - the text is much smaller than any other tutorial and the text is literally "broken up" with blank spots so it cannot be read. (even the Wink loading screen for just that particular tutorial, the text is all broken up)

If I view the other tutorials, the text is perfect. It's a mystery to me why the two I mentioned aren't the same high-quality as the others.

(BTW, the "Pierced Carving" tutorial text is perfect on my system, other than the green arrow sometimes covering part of the wording.)

AskBud
04-13-2008, 06:21 PM
I have found for most of the tutorials the text is perfect, but there are two that the text is very poor.

For the tutorial on "Drilling Holes" the text appears sort of squished and stair-stepped. Still legible, though.

...and...the tutorial about "Clipping a Carving" text is completely illegible - the text is much smaller than any other tutorial and the text is literally "broken up" with blank spots so it cannot be read. (even the Wink loading screen for just that particular tutorial, the text is all broken up)

If I view the other tutorials, the text is perfect. It's a mystery to me why the two I mentioned aren't the same high-quality as the others.

(BTW, the "Pierced Carving" tutorial text is perfect on my system, other than the green arrow sometimes covering part of the wording.)
This is part of the reason I chose to make the AVI version, with the voice-over. I'm not a public speaker, but I wanted something to help the learning process.
Notice:
The following Zipped download of an AVI Lesson is 1.8 Mb in size and the download time will depend upon the speed of your ISP connection.
AskBud
Here is a Zipped AVI Lesson on the "Hole Tool".
http://www2.wcoil.com/~nharbison/cw-hole%20tool.zip

Notice:
The following Zipped download of an AVI Lesson is 10.8 Mb in size and the download time will depend upon the speed of your ISP connection.
AskBud
Here is a Zipped AVI Lesson on "Clipping a Carving".
http://www2.wcoil.com/~nharbison/cw-clipping%20a%20carving.zip

I hope these versions help others better learn the process.
AskBud