PDA

View Full Version : How do I just use the machine to cut out lines

djetc511
04-11-2008, 08:45 PM
I am trying to figure out how to do simple cutout like you might is using a scroll saw and some not cut all the way though?I guess I mean to just carver an outline in the mateiral?

Digitalwoodshop
04-11-2008, 08:59 PM
If you had a pattern from say the free pattern collection in designer. Placed it on a board. Select Outline then cut path it would cut the pattern out after carving.

Like the Christmas ornaments in my picture.

Flipping the cut moves the cutting bit to the outside of the line.

If you hand draw lines they must all be connected to make a complete path. The nodes light up in red when you overlap them and connect them. No complete path no cut path logo. Fix cut path and you get a cut path logo to select.

Notice the Star in the middle picture. That was saying NO to Flip Cut and the star is cut out thin, VERY thin in some areas. In the third picture I said YES to flip cut and got thicker legs of the snow flake. The thin ones looked better but broke easily. Same with the Santa..... No and the shoes on Santa looked like ice skates and Yes Flip Cut Santa had normal shoes.

AL

djetc511
04-11-2008, 09:16 PM
I think I will try that but I was also thinking of just tryinfg to use the machine for drwaing in wood like tracing a pattern with the carving bit. I have some clip art drawings from my son and would like to just carver the lines in the wood without any 3D effect.

ncamp
04-11-2008, 11:26 PM
All you need to do is lay down the lines are curves you want traced. Right click and select a bit and set the depth.

Kenm810
04-12-2008, 07:41 AM
djetc511,

Are asking for something like this?

I draw a picture or find a subject I like, then use the the designers
vector line tools to draw or literally assemble it as a .mpc file to carve.

To start, you can use designer to put a clip art file on a project board,
then trace it with the designer's vector tools like ncamp mentioned.
With a little practice, soon you should be able to draw your own designs or patterns. http://www.carvewright.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_wink.gif

luckettg
04-12-2008, 08:45 AM
djetc511,

Are asking for something like this?

I draw a picture or find a subject I like, then use the the designers
vector line tools to draw or literally assemble it as a .mpc file to carve.

To start, you can use designer to put a clip art file on a project board,
then trace it with the designer's vector tools like ncamp mentioned.
With a little practice, soon you should be able to draw your own designs or patterns. http://www.carvewright.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_wink.gif

The MPC you provided as an example is exactly the sort of effect I had hoped to achieve. Questions: You do this with a mouse? I jiggle and wiggle too much no matter how I try to drive the mouse for smooth curves or lines. Is there a better pointing & drawing tool, maybe more accurate, than a common mouse?
Thanks,
Greg Luckett :)

Lin
04-12-2008, 09:08 AM
Gary, SOme folks have found a tablet is easier for drawing on the puter with. It has what looks like a pencil and a tablet that you draw on and the ines are showing up on your puter screen at the same time. Might be worth checking into for you.
Lin
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw/105-6863012-9598069?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=drawing+tablet

Ken Massingale
04-12-2008, 09:12 AM
Hey Greg,
I like Wacom graphics tablets. The Bamboo Fun is probably more than adequate for use with designer. Mine is an old model that's no longer available.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_nr_p_6_4?ie=UTF8&rs=172282&rh=n%3A172282%2Cp%5F4%3AWacom%2Cp%5F6%3AATVPDKIKX0 DER

luckettg
04-12-2008, 09:19 AM
Lin, thanks for the link. Lots of choices for an ignorant person like me to stumble. Do you have a preference?

Ken, thanks for the advice. The list that Lin provided at Amazon has several of the Bamboo Watcom tablets listed, with varying prices. If you do not mind looking, is there one close to what you had? I will look at your link to see if I can puzzle it out.

Thanks again to both of you. I appreciate your help.:D
Greg Luckett

Router-Jim
04-12-2008, 09:48 AM
Lin, thanks for bringing up the drawing tablets. I had never thought about something like that and I can sure see where that would be handy. :cool:

My question is, do these things allow you to draw directly into Designer? Or do you have to use them in another "Paint or Corel" type program and then import?

TIA

Jim

Kenm810
04-12-2008, 09:49 AM
Hey Greg,

I really know what you mean, over the last few years I’ve become a real “shaky Jake” myself.
After a few medical misfires I bought a couple of wireless drawing tablets like Lin mentioned so I could continue working.
One uses a styles that feels like using a pen, the other is a touch screen that you can use your finger to act as the styles or pointer.
Both have their advantages and disadvantages.
Right now I'm back to using a wireless mouse, I found that if I turned down the scrolling and Motion speed a little
it straitened out some of the lines I am drawing, and would put the wiggle where I wanted it in others.
For now give it a try, it's Works pretty well for me.

Ps. See what I mean http://www.carvewright.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_wink.gif

Lin
04-12-2008, 10:06 AM
Gary and Jim, The tablet can be used within the designer software or at least mine does. I have an older large Watcom tablet that I picked up four years or so ago for a steal of under $50.00 and came with the Photo Shop Elements software. I looked at the newer ones andthe Bamboo looks like its plenty of what we need for what we are doing...for me too many bells and whistles just confuse me anyway....lol
The chocies on the Bamboo are two fold...they have the Bamboo and the Bamboo fun.
From what I"m seeing the difference is the Bamboo fun you get Photo SHop Elemtns 5.0 with it and also an eraser....and you also have two choices of sizes withthe Bamboo Fun...
If you are after some good graphics software this is a way to get it and the tablet at a great price.....if you don't need the software...the Bamboo might be the way to go...
I don't want to sway anyone toone or the other cause I personally don't have either of these but I am a firm believer in the Watcom company itself...
When I decided to purchase a tablet I ask around alot before buying and was told the Watcom was the best on the market and I have never had any issues with mine.
Here's another link to check out that will give you more info...Amazon might give you the best prices but the Watcom site tells you the info you need to make an informed decision.
Lin
http://www.wacom.com/BambooTablet/index.cfm

Router-Jim
04-12-2008, 10:42 AM
Thanks Lin. I will definetly be looking into this further.

Jim

Router-Jim
04-12-2008, 10:47 AM
Another question about these drawing tablets.

If I'm understanding this right, one could write your signature on the tablet and be uploading and carving within a matter of minutes?

That would be so cool and have such great possibilities. Now you really have me thinking. :D

Jim

djetc511
04-12-2008, 11:20 AM
thanks I have one of those also maybe one of the first but I am looking forward to see if it will work on my carving software. think I bought mine about 6 years ago thanks for the information

Ken Massingale
04-12-2008, 11:32 AM
Another question about these drawing tablets.

If I'm understanding this right, one could write your signature on the tablet and be uploading and carving within a matter of minutes?

That would be so cool and have such great possibilities. Now you really have me thinking. :D

Jim
Jim,
Yep.

Lin
04-12-2008, 11:43 AM
The tablet and pen will do anything your mouse or roller ball will do...the difference is that you are drawing on the tablet with the pen and at the same time the lines are showing up on your puter screen instead of using the mouse or roller ball...you still have to use the line tools with in designer to draw with in that software....it just may be a bit easier to handle for some using the tablet and a pen. Since you can't really just draw freehand within the designer software I don't see how you could do your signature that easily...if you can freehand draw in designer please tell and show me how...cause I have missed something.
Lin

Ken Massingale
04-12-2008, 12:02 PM
The tablet and pen will do anything your mouse or roller ball will do...the difference is that you are drawing on the tablet with the pen and at the same time the lines are showing up on your puter screen instead of using the mouse or roller ball...you still have to use the line tools with in designer to draw with in that software....it just may be a bit easier to handle for some using the tablet and a pen. Since you can't really just draw freehand within the designer software I don't see how you could do your signature that easily...if you can freehand draw in designer please tell and show me how...cause I have missed something.
Lin
Lin,
I didn't see that Jim specifically asked if the sig could be done in Designer.

Amonaug
04-12-2008, 12:24 PM
For those on a low budget for PC tablets try

http://www.aiptek.com/

These work pretty good as well.

Kenm810
04-12-2008, 01:01 PM
Here's one I just did on a tablet,

I'm a little rusty using it, but you can use it with the Designers Line tools the same as with your mouse.
You can Free Hand a Signature, but so far the only way I could add it to my carving was as a .ptn file.

The idea of Free Handing to the CW Designer, really does merit more thought.

Lin
04-12-2008, 03:32 PM
I kinda thought that was what Jim was asking and didn't want him to think that the tablet would allow him to free hand draw within desinger...sure wish it would thou.....
Something LHR might look into...for a way to improve the software package. It would be a nice add on.
Lin

Router-Jim
04-14-2008, 05:17 PM
I kinda thought that was what Jim was asking and didn't want him to think that the tablet would allow him to free hand draw within desinger...sure wish it would thou.....
Something LHR might look into...for a way to improve the software package. It would be a nice add on.
Lin

I appreciate the answers. I also think the ability to free hand in designer would be the best upgrade that LHR could do for us.

I like what Ken has shown with his rose. I bought a tablet this weekend so I'll play around with it and see if I've made a wise choice.

Jim

Lin
04-15-2008, 04:49 AM
Jim,
Looking forward to what you come up with.
Lin

jlitz
04-17-2008, 12:54 AM
Lin

At times I use Illustrator with a Wacom tablet to do freehand drawing and convert it to an MPC with ai2mpc.