PDA

View Full Version : Blindly supplying my personal information to.....?

Digitalwoodshop
04-11-2008, 05:33 PM
I believe the survey forum is asking too many questions they have no business asking.

April 2008 Survey
1. Age?
Under 25
26-35
36-45
46-55
56-65
Over 65

2. Sex?
Male
Female

3. Marital Status?
Married
Single
Divorced/Widowed

4. Number of Children Living At Home?
1-2
3-4
5+

5. Annual Household Income?
Under $20,000
$20,001-$40,000
$40,001-$60,000
$60,001-$80,000
$80,001-$100,000
Over $100,000

6. Principal Residence?
Own
Rent
Other

7. Location (City, State)?

8. Highest Level of Education?
Attended High School
High School Graduate
Some College
College Graduate
Postgraduate Degree

9. Tools In Workshop? (Check All That Apply)
CarveWright/CompuCarve
Table Saw
Lathe
Router
Planer
Scroll Saw
Radial Arm Saw
Band Saw
Drill Press
Jointer
Shaper
Belt Sander
Surface Sander
Dust Collection System
Chop Saw
Air Compressor
None

10. Primary Workspace?
Tool Shop
Garage
Basement
Home Workshop
Other

11. Do You Own A CarveWright/CompuCarve?
Yes
No

12. How Many Hours Are Spent In Your Shop (Per Week)?
0-5
6-15
16-25
26-35
Over 35

13. How Long After You Saw/Heard About The CarveWright/CompuCarve Did You Purchase Your Machine?
Less Than 1 Month
Less Than 3 Months
Less Than 6 Months
Less Than 1 Year
More Than 1 Year

14. Where Did You Hear About The CarveWright/CompuCarve?
CarveWright.com
Sears
Sears TV Commercial
Magazine
Word of Mouth
Tradeshow
Retail Outlet
Other - Please List

15. Woodworking Level of Expertise?
Beginner
Amateur
Professional

16. Woodworking Magazine Frequently Read (Check All That Apply)?
Fine Woodworking
Fine Homebuilding
American Woodworker
Workbench
Woodsmith
Wood
Wood Digest
Modern Woodworking
Woodworker's Journal
Woodshop News
Woodcraft
Woodquip
Other - Please List

17. What Speed Is Your Internet Connection?
ISDN
DSL
Cable
T-1
T-3
Unknown
Other

18. How Often Do You Visit www.carvewright.com (Per Week)?
0-5
6-10
11-20
20-30
Over 30

19. Have You Visited The Pattern Depot?
Yes
No

20. How Often Do You Visit The Pattern Depot (Per Week)?
0-5
6-10
11-20
20-30
Over 30

21. Did You Know Any CarveWright/CompuCarve Owner Can Sell Patterns?
Yes
No

22. Have You Ever Purchased a Pattern From The Pattern Depot?
Yes
No

23. Do You Subscribe To CarveWright Newsletters?
Yes
No

24. Do You Find the Information In CarveWright Newsletters Useful/Beneficial?
Yes
No

25. Many Hours Per Week Do You Watch Television?
0-2
3-10
11-20
30-40
Over 40

26. What National Network Do You Primarily Watch?
ABC
NBC
CBS
PBS
Fox
My TV
The CW

27. Do You Have Cable/Satellite TV?
Yes
No

28. Which Cable Networks Do You Watch?
A&E
ABC Family
Biography Channel
CNN
CNN Headline News
Comedy Central
Discovery Channel
DIY Network
E!
ESPN/ESPN 2
Food Network
Fox News Channel
FX
Golf Channel
Hallmark
HGTV
History Channel
MTV/MTV 2
National Geographic Channel
NFL Network
Sci-Fi
SPEED
Spike!
Style Network
TBS
TLC
TNT
Travel Channel
Other - Please List

29. What Is Your Favorite Television Show?
Please Write Response

30. Do You Own a Digital Video Recorder (DishDVR, TiVo, etc...)?
Yes
No

31. Do You Watch Live Television?
Yes
No

32. Have You Ever Made a Direct Purchase From a Television Commercial/Infomercial?
Yes
No

33. In What Type of Area Do You Reside?
Rural
Metropolitan

fwharris
04-11-2008, 05:35 PM
Are you suppose to tell them the truth?

Digitalwoodshop
04-11-2008, 05:43 PM
I always wonder while working on the computer and some IM pops up with a "SEX" Theme weather some Cop is troling?..... I just ignore but it makes you wonder who is profiling you?

What control do we have on our profile after LHR Processes it. Would they sell it? There is NO Disclaimer, no privacy statement. After 20 years in the Navy where your identity was your Social Security Number and it was posted everywhere. I was on the highway one day in San Diego and a truck showed up in the housing area with big wooden crates of Household Effects from an overseas base. The Crates had the Full Name and SSN Spray Painted in 10 inch letters..... So much for Identity Theft.....

AL

fwharris
04-11-2008, 05:50 PM
You do have to wonder don't you! In Denver area one of the Police Dept. got in trouble for posting SSN, DL#, address ond phone numbers on parking tickets! Tickets were in plain sight for all to see!

Digitalwoodshop
04-11-2008, 07:16 PM
Do they really need to know how much I make?

Do they really need to know if I am Married?

Children?

Own or rent?

Education?

Internet Speed..... I remember someone posting that only had dial up at home and had a bear of a time upgrading the software.... One guy took his computer to work to update the software. Did that change anything at LHR that he did have Dial Up? No.

How many hours do you watch TV? Why? And then a detail of WHAT you watch?

And Finally Rural or Metropolitan?

You already have our Zip Code, Credit Card Numbers, address, Phone Number, eMail, and in my case over 1400 posts on the forum to extract marketing info from.

I think I am just a little sensitive to this issue of privacy. You see the same questions from Mail Order Magazine Applications..... Why do they need to know if you are married, how much you make, etc..... You just want to read the magazine......

And who looks at this information and how is it printed then thrown in a rear of the building dumpster that some guy looking for aluminum cans finds and sells on the Internet. Happens all the time...

LHR you are a great company but your Marketing Dept needs a house cleaning letting this get out. I can't be the only one to find the survey offensive and asking questions they have no right to ask.

Just my Rant.... Sticking up for the little guy that could be hurt by miss handled personal information.

AL

Reset
04-11-2008, 07:29 PM
While I share the same feeling about providing this information, and for all the reasons stated so far will not, the reasons for asking the questions are stated in CW's request for input:

"With all of this growth, we need your input to help us maximize our advertising dollars and find our target markets. Please take 5 minutes to fill out our customer survey and assist us in our marketing efforts."

All the information gathered by the survey is intended to be used to maximize the effectiveness of the $$$ they spend on advertising.

That being said... sorry CW, I can't help you with this one. ;)

Tommy

ChrisAlb
04-11-2008, 07:34 PM
I haven't even seen this survey but all LHR needs to know from me is.............................IS MY CW FUNCTIONING CORRECTLY!

So far, YES.

Digitalwoodshop
04-11-2008, 07:48 PM
ISSUE 8, April 2008

Woodworking has given him a lifetime of joy...

...and through his woodworking Gary Rodewald has enjoyed a lifetime of giving.

A multifaceted man and Jack-Of-All-Trades, Gary Rodewald has through it all considered himself one thing - an artist with a passion for woodworking. See how he uses his CarveWright for Fun, for Money, for Community, and for God's Work.

PATTERN EDITOR NOW AVAILABLE
Many customers have requested we make the pattern editor for sale without having to buy the Scanning Probe. The pattern editor features additional tools that allow you to clean up your imports and optimize your custom projects. Complete with filters and real time 3D renderings, the Pattern Editor adds an editing edge to your creativity.
Pattern Editor $199.99

CLEAR ACRYLIC
CarveWright - It's not just for wood, anymore! Try Clear Acrylic!

All of us at LHR Technologies are continually amazed by regular introductions of new mediums and new uses. White acrylic has become a favorite of yours and ours, but we tested the clear acrylic and the results are incredible. Simulate etched glass, add a picture, graphic or personalized message to a plaque or introduce a new effect for your special wedding, graduation, baby or travel photos. Available in three sizes: 8" x 10", 11" x 14' & 12" x 18" at 3/16" thickness.

TRAINING SEMINARS
CarveWright Training Class

The much requested CarveWright Training Class is here. The class involves a comprehensive half day of training covering the software, preparing projects and machine maintenance. Choose from a morning or afternoon class scheduled for Saturday, June 21st. With only 15 seats per class, we know these first two will fill up quickly, so register now to insure your seat for CarveWright Training.

CUSTOMER SURVEY
We Need Your Help!

With over 12,000 CarveWrights sold and increasing numbers being shipped weekly, LHR is enjoying great success. We are adding new product offerings, expanding our customer service, developing new features, supplementing our technologies and employing more and more personnel to support our success. With all of this growth, we need your input to help us maximize our advertising dollars and find our target markets. Please take 5 minutes to fill out our customer survey and assist us in our marketing efforts.

You are receiving this e-mail from company LHR Technologies because you signed up at carvewright.com to receive periodical newsletters and other product related correspondence.
To unsubscribe click here
CarveWright is a product of LHR Technologies, Inc., 4930 Allen Genoa Road, Pasadena, TX 77504
Having Trouble Viewing this Email? Click Here

Digitalwoodshop
04-11-2008, 08:48 PM
If 5000 of the 12000 answer then that is a very marketable pile of data that could be sold for a great profit. Then you find yourself on another mailing list..... The Cable TV Guys get Direct TV mailings..... Etc....

Why didn't the Marketing Department just ask for the numbers from SEARS that Knee JERKED and grabbed the phone when they first saw the Compucarve TV Commercial at Christmas 2 years ago... I was on the list.... I couldn't dial fast enough.... The Pre SOLD waiting list.... With all my Customer data.... Address, Phone Number, Credit Card Number, etc....

I sent a eMail about this survey a few months ago when I first saw it.... Never got a reply.... I typed many of the comments in my eMail that I wrote here.

AL

ncamp
04-11-2008, 11:31 PM
I may be wrong, but I never saw anywhere where they were asking for my name or other identifying information on the survey, other that city and state. If you are not currently logged on, all they should be able to get is an ip address.

Digitalwoodshop
04-11-2008, 11:45 PM
No Name? Is this Rant all for nothing?

AL

fwharris
04-12-2008, 11:50 AM
No Name? Is this Rant all for nothing?

AL

No not for nothing, as I bet you feel just a "little bit" better for saying it.. Tell the truth now, don't you!

And it is a point everyone should be aware of!

04-12-2008, 06:40 PM
DigitalWorkshop has the right idea. Many companies over the years have gotten personal info from their customers and have sold it to other companies to help increase their bottom line without spending any money to help their customers. It looks like LHR, for all the help they give us, is on the same trail. Look at the pattern depot and the complicated way of administering the licenses. Now the big one the pattern editor for half the price of the probe. The arcachic thinking that software is worth more then the product is out of date. Especially for a totally dedicated program that should have been included with the machine. When I think back to the advertising that pushed me into buying this machine was the idea that I could easily take photos and adapt them for the CC/CW....LOL

hotpop
04-12-2008, 11:29 PM
I've been looking at this thread for two days now.

If filling out a survey bothers you, then don't.

Digitalwoodshop
04-13-2008, 10:38 AM
OK I won't.

Dan-Woodman
04-13-2008, 11:40 AM
I don't know if this is related or not ,but all of a sudden within the last several weeks, I'm getting recorded messages from Sears trying to sell me an extended warrenty package.
I haven't bought anthing from sears in 15 years or more. It's an 800 number ending in 2291. Is anyone else getting this?
later Daniel

Jeff_Birt
04-13-2008, 01:29 PM
I don't know if this is related or not

Related to what? CW has an anonymous survey in their newsletter and then Sears telemarketed you so it's related? :rolleyes:

Please reference: http://skepdic.com/posthoc.html

I just love conspiracy theories ;)

Note: This is sent in a friendly manner. I do love conspiracy theories though, they just keep building, and building. Personally, I think dick Cheney is behind it all...

pkunk
04-13-2008, 01:48 PM
Heheh, Dick Cheney! ;):p

fwharris
04-13-2008, 02:00 PM
Jeff,

Great link! You know some times some things happen just because it happened. Or it might have been an operator error, I filled out the little slip of paper to win that new car, TV, $5000 gift card at Lowe's/ Home Depot..etc, etc. and etc...

Ken Massingale
04-13-2008, 02:03 PM
Related to what? CW has an anonymous survey in their newsletter and then Sears telemarketed you so it's related? :rolleyes:

Please reference: http://skepdic.com/posthoc.html

I just love conspiracy theories ;)

Note: This is sent in a friendly manner. I do love conspiracy theories though, they just keep building, and building. Personally, I think dick Cheney is behind it all...
I just want to see what the reflection was in his sunglasses! ;-)

Jeff_Birt
04-13-2008, 02:05 PM
I just want to see what the reflection was in his sunglasses! ;-)

ROFL, ...what some folks (membersd of the media) won't waste everyones time with...

jlovchik
04-14-2008, 06:52 PM
I want to address the concerns with the marketing survey. Some people feel it is some sort of data mining exercise on LHR's part to gather personal information on individuals. While this is partially true, we ask for no identifying information. This survey is completely anonymous. We do these surveys every few months to keep up with who our customers are and ask some specific questions about things we are trying to do. Just like any business trying to advertise and sell a product we need to know where to place our advertising. I saw comments on how this was offensive in some way. Without being able to properly target advertising dollars, we blindly throw money into avenues that may or may not be working. Basically blanketing everything and hoping somewhere in the mix we are reaching who we want to talk to. This becomes very expensive, which the only way to recoup these expenses is to pass them along to our customers with price increases. It only makes sense to want to assist in these types of surveys, because they are designed to make our spending more efficient. We don't have access to any of Sears customer data. Although CompuCarve customers are also our customers, Sears is in no way obligated to share with us any of their marketing information about those customers. We also don't have the advertising funds Sears has, which makes this data even more important for us to maximize our dollars in promoting the CarveWright brand. The survey is completely optional and anonymous, but it is important if you do take the survey to be honest and accurate.

Thank You,
Joe Lovchik
Marketing Director
LHR Technologies, Inc.

MikeMcCoy
04-14-2008, 07:33 PM
I did the survey this afternoon just to see what all the fuss was about. When all was said and done, I couldn't see what all the fuss was about.

jackssib1
04-14-2008, 07:55 PM
Thanks all.
Jack

ChrisAlb
04-15-2008, 06:03 AM
Personally, I took this thread as a joke. Much like badger's "you know you're a CW owner if..." thread.

However, it would seem that many were pretty serious about it all. I still have not seen this survey (haven't exactly looked) so maybe LHR did this but, it seems to me LHR could have avoided this whole question with a simple line of explanation above the survey. Perhaps something like...

"In an effort to maximize our advertising dollars and thus reduce overall costs to our customers, we'd like you to fill out this survey."

In an age where sharing information, anonymous or not, "can" lead to trouble, a lot of folks are very leery about it. In 30 years of business never having spent a penny in advertising, I know next to nothing about marketing. But I do know you have to be careful about asking folks for any kind of information.

I also know that, since becoming a CW owner and joining this form, it would seem to me that the CW is in the hands of people from every walk of life, every age group, every corner of this country and even Canada, and I'm betting, every possible income level. From myself who hasn't had an income for 4 months to retired folks sitting rather comfortably.

From all that I have to wonder if LHR isn't actually wasting more time and money on the survey itself? I know this wouldn't come cheap by any means but I would think they should run a national add targeting just about everyone. Again, not knowing a thing about marketing, perhaps I'm WAY off with that but this seems to appeal to folks from everywhere and every means.

Just a thought

Chris

SSB2121
04-15-2008, 09:20 AM
"In an effort to maximize our advertising dollars and thus reduce overall costs to our customers, we'd like you to fill out this survey."

From our front page:
With over 12,000 CarveWrights sold and more shipped every day, we need your input to help serve you better. Please take a moment to fill out our customer survey.

From our Newsletter sent out Friday:
With over 12,000 CarveWrights sold and increasing numbers being shipped weekly, LHR is enjoying great success. We are adding new product offerings, expanding our customer service, developing new features, supplementing our technologies and employing more and more personnel to support our success. With all of this growth, we need your input to help us maximize our advertising dollars and find our target markets. Please take 5 minutes to fill out our customer survey and assist us in our marketing efforts.

Please keep in mind this survey is completely OPTIONAL. If you feel the questions are too intrusive then you are not obligated in any way to take the survey.

ChrisAlb
04-15-2008, 10:17 AM
Ok, so like I said below. "maybe LHR did this..."

When I have the time, I'll be happy to fill it out. Always willing to help.

Digitalwoodshop
04-15-2008, 12:44 PM
Time to close this Thread and make it go away.....

Looks like I was just a little TOO Sensitive to the questions.

If it will help.....

After taking my business losses into account my total income for the year was a whopping $1400.00. It will be a much better year next year. Lots of purchases this past year.

I have 2 Carve Machines and have put over 700 hours of carving between them.

I spent $2751.82 for LHR repair parts, bits, Centerline, and repair tools last year.

I spent 547.60 in purchased patterns last year.

Would I do it all over again.... YES and get a 3rd machine.

AL