PDA

View Full Version : The Love/Hate relationship....

DStimpson
04-10-2008, 09:53 AM
I am somewhat new to all this. I’ve had my machine for a little less than a month, but have done probably 20 projects (both in plastic and wood).

First let me say “I LOVE my Compucarve!!!” The look on the faces of friends and family when you present them with a personalized gift that you made… it’s worth the cost of the machine right there.

Second, let me say “I HATE my Compucarve!!!” I am on my second machine, the first was returned to Sears in the first week. I have melted a flex-shaft, had chuck not cocking issues, had z-axis failures, board sensor problems, bit problems, and currently I have an issue with the chuck not holding the bit firmly and allowing it to wobble…… which I am sure will result in me taking the machine to the Sears repair place for resolution (I have the extended warranty, we’ll see what happens).

But again, in spite of all that, I wouldn’t trade the machine for love or money…….well, maybe money…….

I intend to submit some pictures of some of my projects soon. I am enjoying the community feel of these forums and really appreciate the information sharing that I find here. Thanks to all of you for your unselfishness….

Jeff_Birt
04-10-2008, 10:27 AM
Guys, CALL CARVEWRIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!

Don't keep beating yourself over the head with small issues. Call and talk to the CW techs and they can get you squared away. That is what the techs are there for, to help with issues with the machine and its use.. If they can't help you over the phone they will pay to ship the machine to their facility to repair it.

I am on my second machine, the first was returned to Sears in the first week. I have melted a flex-shaft, had chuck not cocking issues, had z-axis failures, board sensor problems, bit problems, and currently I have an issue with the chuck not holding the bit firmly and allowing it to wobble…… which I am sure will result in me taking the machine to the Sears repair place for resolution (I have the extended warranty, we’ll see what happens).

With the exception of the melted flex shaft all of these things are more likely attributed to user error than machine error. The biggest problems new users face is learning how to use the machine and how to care for the machine. Keeping your machine clean will prevent 80% or more of the problems listed above. The rails, bit plate, and chuck must all be clean to operate properly. Constantly exchanging machines will most likely not fix the underlying problem.

Jeff_Birt
04-10-2008, 10:59 AM
Have you even called CW? The point is that unless you find the underlying cause of your problems (be it machine or operator) just running back and exchanging machine after machine is not going to help much. It more likely it will just cause you to be more frustrated.

I'm just suggesting Jack, that you take advantage of the great technical support that CW offers through its technicians and see if that wont help fix your problem.

oldjoe
04-10-2008, 11:59 AM
Takes Jeff advice and call LHR. If you keep taking them back to Sears you may get another Monday machine or a 3:00 Friday machine. At least if you talk to LHR you can fix yours and get rid of all the bugs or you can send it back and they can fix it for you. You will end up with a better machine in the long run.
Just my 2 cents worth.

Semper Fi
04-10-2008, 04:02 PM
Please listen to Jeff, you'll be much happier. The only reason my machine is in Sears' hands now is because my warranty has run out. If it was still under warranty, the machine would have been diagnosed by LHR and the parts already here and installed. I'd be up and running instead of waiting to see if Sears can actually fix my Z Axis problems. You have the factory warranty for the first year from LHR............................... use them and you'll be glad you called them!

Good luck and don't give up............ the machine is worth the effort.

ncamp
04-10-2008, 05:29 PM
Am I going nuts, or did Jack's message disappear from this thread?

Of course, the two are not mutualy exclusive.

Jeff_Birt
04-10-2008, 09:17 PM
Jack removed them himself for some reason...

DStimpson
04-11-2008, 08:01 AM
Although I didn’t expect to be chastised so dramatically on my first post to the forums, I appreciate the advice. I didn’t mean to come across as if I am running back to Sears every time the machine hiccups, because I am not. However, since I purchased it locally and I have made a good connection with the salesperson I deal with, I am giving them first opportunity to rectify problems I have with the machine. I purchased the 5 year protection plan when I bought the device and I feel like that gives me some responsibility/authority to expect Sears to honor it.

All that being said, I have learned an incredible amount of info related to maintenance and care for the machine on these forums. I beat the bushes and finally found a local source for the Liquid Wrench with Moly lube, I now own a non-contact, laser pointed, thermometer, I know to vacuum, not blow, the sawdust out of the machine. I clean the machine after EVERY project, and always at least once (usually more) during the carve phase. I check every bit every time (including new ones) for tightness and normally Loctite them anyway.

This, and so much more, I have learned from you all, and I truly appreciate it.

Jeff_Birt
04-11-2008, 08:46 AM
I was not meaning to come across in an obnoxious manner (and was replying to you and the second poster all in one shot). Rather, I was trying to guide you into taking advantage of the wonderful free technical support provided by the machines manufacturer. The machine is covered for the first year/200 hours by the manufacturer, after that the Sears extended warranty kicks in. With no disrespect to Sears, they really don't know beans about the machine, and it has yet to be proven that they can/will actually fix a machine under extended warranty coverage. One forum member has had a machine in their system for several weeks now.

Please just take what i say as friendly advice, more than anything I just want you to be happy with your machine.

LHR Technologies, Inc.
4930 Allen Genoa Road
Pasadena, TX 77504
Phone:1-713-473-6572

Hardware Support
9AM - 6PM, Mon - Sat
Option 4
support@carvewright.com

Software Support
9AM - 6PM, Mon - Fri
Option 3
software@carvewright.com