PDA

View Full Version : Carving took a shift

fwharris
04-09-2008, 08:14 PM
Doing my first Corian carve and about 40% into the carve it shifted about 1/4" to the top and then about 60% into it another shift in the same direction only this time it about 1/2".
Did not get any error msg. during the carve at all. The board stayed in line meaning it did not shift on the rollers. It was a 1.5 hr carve and I vaccumed it out about every 5 to 10 min. (thought I was working in the Ivory Soap factory)!!!!!

Could this just be related to all of the corian dust?

After the carve ended I did 3 calib. offset runs with no problems except "check board sensor" but I think that was from the corian dust and not related to my original problem.

Not to sure if my picture will show well enough do to the size for posting so if any body has a clue or want a better look I can email a larger picture if needed.

Any and all suggestions are welcome!!

hotpop
04-09-2008, 08:22 PM
fwharris,

YES!

Sometimes humidity or static can cause build up.

Turn off machine wipe off "Y" rails top and bottom. I use #0000 steel wool.
Move the truck to the opposite side and do the same. A build up of dust can cause the truck to stick and the gear belt skips a tooth.

Check your "Z" rails at the same time.

fwharris
04-09-2008, 08:54 PM
Mel,
I hope that is all it is!
I did notice each time I vaccumned that the Y rails were coated pretty heavily. I had to actually scrape some of the build up off.

Also noticed that on some of the carve passed the z truck was like in slow motion so that might be my problem. If I do any more Corian I should probably vaccumn every 3 to 4 passes. Now let me think 1.5 hr carve would be maybe 2 to 3 hours right! HA HA

thanks again..

hotpop
04-09-2008, 09:23 PM
fwharris,

I ran into this problem a few weeks ago while carving "Signfoam". The stuff carves like MDF but seems to build up on the rails. I was doing some 5 hour carves and needed to wipe my rails every 45 minutes or so.

Hope your problem is solved.

Steven Alford
04-09-2008, 09:38 PM
Is there anything that can be put on the internal parts that would help stop the "static cling", say some sort of anti-static spray??
Just a thought.

Steve

hotpop
04-09-2008, 09:53 PM
Steve,

Probably wouldn't hurt anything. I was thinking of using a "Bounce" sheet from my wifes dryer. I was also thinking of wiping the clear cover inside and out might help keep it clear also.

I haven't tried it yet but if you do, Let me know the results.

Steven Alford
04-09-2008, 10:19 PM
I would think as long as you kept the spray away from any lubed parts so that the spray does not break down the lube, it should work.

Steve

dr01allen
04-10-2008, 12:04 PM
When mine did that, a belt tore. You might want to inspect them before the next project.

fwharris
04-10-2008, 01:04 PM
Steve,

Probably wouldn't hurt anything. I was thinking of using a "Bounce" sheet from my wifes dryer. I was also thinking of wiping the clear cover inside and out might help keep it clear also.

I haven't tried it yet but if you do, Let me know the results.

Take a look at post #2 from ken810....
http://www.carvewright.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4134&highlight=static+spray

ruggybear
04-10-2008, 10:03 PM
Were you using a sled? I place my Corian on a carrier board.

I have had the corian slip sometimes f I do not have it really stuck to the carrier.

I usually use double sided tape. Have found that just placing some at the top and bottom does not always work. So I probably use more than required but haven't had the problem for a while now.