PDA

View Full Version : New *CDN* Owner - Any Workshops ?

CC Rider
04-08-2008, 07:28 PM
Well, after hearing about this machine for the last 8 months or so, I knew it would be a great additional to my Industrial Arts Lab. As a teacher it is my hope to include the machine with my grade 7 and 8 programs. Since this machine is not available in Canada as of yet, I purchased it in North Dakota . I started working with it and have completed a few carvings.
I found this forum a few days ago and I must say that I am extremely impressed. Not only am I am impressed with the people and their projects but also with the questions posted and the willingness to share.
As a new owner I have started to go over the tutorials, but I was wondering does any one put on a workshop ( 1-5 day) on these machines (ie. programming, do's and dont's, projects) ? I know of a few people from our area that certainly would attend. I have realized that this machine has great potential and I have just begun to scratch the surface of what it can do. Thanks in advance for any suggestions and comments.

AskBud
04-08-2008, 07:38 PM
Here may be a start.
AskBud
http://carvewright.com/education/educarve.htm

Kenm810
04-08-2008, 07:45 PM
CC Rider,

First may I say Welcome to the CW Forum.
The Educational menu is not quite ready yet but there are several tutorials and a few videos available through this forum.
A quick seacch key word (tutorials) will bring you a ton of information. Plus a call to LHR should help you get additional materials.
http://www.carvewright.com/education/educarve.htm
http://www.carvewright.com/cms/tutorials
http://www.carvewright.com/cms/tips-and-tricks

hotpop
04-08-2008, 07:57 PM
CC Rider,

Welcome aboard!

www.go3d.us
04-08-2008, 10:45 PM
Just want to say hi and welcome.

To me this machine is the simplest wood carving machine ever made. It worked like a printer without the ink? :)

HT

oldjoe
04-09-2008, 06:50 AM
Welcome CC Rider AYE! :p
I probably spelled that one wrong to. Good luck with the new machine. How are things in Canada I am guessing you are from around Winnepeg I haven't been there in along time was there when my daugther played Ringette. Which is not played here in Minnesota much anymore. Is it still popular there?
Back to the machine I think if you just start with just a few simple projects you will be on you way to being an expert in no time.
Good Luck

forqnc
04-09-2008, 07:19 AM
Welcome CC Rider, key educational lesson I can pass on is PATIENCE.
I had very little when I got my machine and have learn't most of my problems where probably because of my lack of patience.

One question what's a CDN? Is the CC/CW being marketed under another name?
OK that's two questions. :rolleyes:

ncamp
04-09-2008, 07:22 AM
One question what's a CDN? Is the CC/CW being marketed under another name?

CND = Canadian

and welcome aboard

alpmeadow
04-09-2008, 08:44 AM
Another Canuck newby:confused:
I am travelling south to Idaho, to pickup a carvewright, and will need advice how to setup the machine and test it. I have a laptop and will download program beforehand. Any recommendations as to what pattern and size of workpiece(wood) blanks I should take down with me to test it fully? The drive is 14 hours turnaround so I hope to get it right the first time?
Your experience buying from Canada will also help(Can't get it here through carvewright or sears, I have been waiting patiently for 16 months)
Thanks for your kind assistance.
alpmeadow

forqnc
04-09-2008, 09:36 AM
CND = Canadian

DUH! Thanks ncamp, I guess I need to start drinking coffee again.

Bubbabear
04-09-2008, 03:22 PM
My only piece of advice is to have somewhere across the border to have parts shipped to and if you have to return the unit for repair a U.S. Address for it to be returned to. They do not ship anything outside the USA even parts

jstone
04-09-2008, 03:57 PM
Welcome CC Rider. I too am a proud CDN owner of a CompuCarve. I live in New Brunswick. I bought mine in Maine. Hopefully, maybe Sears here will begin to sell these machines so that any parts or service we need will be close at hand. For now, I have a mailbox in Maine to receive whatever I need or want.