PDA

View Full Version : First you open the box...then...

Dhaffner
04-08-2008, 06:05 PM
Jason started a great thread earlier about a "first aid" kit for new owners and it was really helpful. I did a search in various ways, but couldn't find a thread covering the basics of what to do right after I pull this baby out of the box. I know I'm supposed to check the flexshaft for lube...but what else do you all recommend (if there's an existing thread I missed, point me there).

I have all the recommended lubes, and ordered most of the items (that they would allow) you all suggested. Looking for any other tips that will save me hassle and I figured the best time to ask is before I do anything other than stare at it and drool.

Kenm810
04-08-2008, 06:20 PM
Dhaffner,

First you open the box...then --- Save it and all the packing materials in it.
You may need them in the future for shipping the machine into LHR for service or repairs.
That's step one.
From there you can look the machine over for any missing parts, loose screws or nuts and bolts.

AskBud
04-08-2008, 06:29 PM
Here is the thread and a PDF from that post.
AskBud
http://www.carvewright.com/forum/showthread.php?p=49513&highlight=spare#post49513

Dhaffner
04-08-2008, 06:39 PM
Yeah, that's good stuff...especially as maintenance goes.
I pretty much bought every lube recommended and ordered all the spare parts I could get away with ordering...

I was thinking more along the lines of "you're gonna want to open the ________ and make sure they didn't ________ when they packed it. Then connect the _______ and make sure the _______works...OH and before you carve a single thing be sure you ________"

Kenm810
04-08-2008, 06:52 PM
Assembly Instructions
Leave anything out of the box
Flex-Shaft
The reader and Memory Card
Read the Owner's Manual twice.

brenda123
04-08-2008, 09:00 PM
Ya first aid kit okay. That drives the $1600 price tag to about $4,500 dollars after you buy centerline text and bits and the outragesous reccomendation of parts. Might as well buy three machines and part them out.

Dhaffner
04-08-2008, 11:54 PM
You know, this is why the internet is both good and bad. On the one hand you have a large group of people who actually want to help and share what they know...on the other you have people that are angry.

Angry people have an almost uncontrollable need to spit vitriol. They don't care what the thread might be..or if the post they make is going to help..they just can't stop themselves from vomiting a little anger. They also say things that are wrong, uninformed or exaggerated. For instance, a person might suggest that about $100 bucks worth of spare parts, $100 worth of software and $250 worth of bits add up to $2500 or more...oh, I guess there's the lube, but the prices here were in the $3 neighborhood not $2500.

When I bought my computer I ended up adding a printer, a camera, a more comfortable mouse, lots and lots of software including some to keep my machine virus and spam clean. I ended up adding a desk, and then a chair and before I knew it I had added a secondary hard drive and headphones and surround speakers....I guess it's time to go to Dell's website and post random notes about how bad they are for sending me down that road.

Thanks for the input...I'm sure it'll help me get started.

fwharris
04-08-2008, 11:59 PM
Dhaffner,

Great post! Some people do not realize that you always need another tool!

SandBuoy
04-09-2008, 03:41 AM
Floyd, thats what I keep telling my wife !!!! then that angry vomit venom stuff came pouring out....

Dhaffer, welcome to the family of CC/CWers. Best suggestion I can give you is pick out as easy carve and do the trial and error thing like the rest of us while reading the manual. After the first go threw, it will become easier and easier for you. Second suggestion, make sure that both your sleds and boards are perfectly straight, edges are square and its 7" longer then your designed board size.

Last, same thing that everyone pounded into me when I first asked about whats and what nots. Clean your machine constantly and lube it faithfully like suggestion on the forum. That in itself will save you so much grief alone. It has me so far.

Dhaffner
04-09-2008, 08:16 AM
awesome advice. Thanks!

LittleRedWoodshop
04-09-2008, 10:00 AM
All I can say is that you, my friend, have a way with words. That has to be one the best posts I have seen in a very long time.

Hope things are well with you, how's your day off going.

jackssib1
04-09-2008, 02:31 PM
Then send it back again,,again,,again. oops box is busted.
Just send me a repair man.
Jack