PDA

View Full Version : the quick change assembly

jackssib1
04-07-2008, 03:17 PM
can anyone tell me what holds the Quick Change Assembly on? Mine moves and is making diff. sound. while carving. I stoped and found loose. end of bit moves about 1/8" side to side. Is there a screw up inside like a chuck on a drill?? or what??
please help,,me.
thx. Jack

Jeff_Birt
04-07-2008, 03:24 PM
The chuck threads onto the spindle. I just did a quick search for 'replace chuck' and found the following links. Search is your friend...

Read over the hints in the first post about checking and cleaning the chuck first....

http://www.carvewright.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5343&highlight=replace+chuck

http://www.carvewright.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3065&highlight=quick+change

http://www.carvewright.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5019&highlight=replace+chuck

jackssib1
04-07-2008, 03:47 PM
I'm gonna go see, now. I may need a new one? olny 3 weeks old..lol

Jack;)

hotpop
04-07-2008, 03:58 PM
Jack,

This sounds familiar. I had the same thing about a month ago. The problem might not be your chuck. So, first make sure the chuck is threaded all the way on the shaft.

If the chuck still has some wiggle in it then I'm afraid your machine is going to be taking a trip to TX.

On the spindle bearings there is bearing spacers. The spacers are metal rings with a series of small flaps. If the flaps begin to collapse the whole spindle will wiggle. If the chuck wiggles sideways .030" the cutting tip will wiggle about .060" If it wiggles call LHR.

Ken Massingale
04-07-2008, 04:40 PM
Jack,
Make sure the adaptor is firmly seated in the chuck. I've had one carve for a bit then make a noise and was loose like you describe. I found that it wasn't correctly seated in the chuck.
ken

jackssib1
04-07-2008, 05:13 PM
I think is was the chuck, I took it off, it was 1/4 off already. lol
I found an old router wrinch and sized it to fit, and used a square tip on screw gun, came right off. I am cleaning it now. it seems to be working good, will see after i oil and install. in AM
What oil do you all like? and somthing to keep it on this time? But not welding it,,lol j/k
thx. a lot guys.

rjustice
04-07-2008, 06:24 PM
Hi Jack...
(hmm... might not want to greet you that way on an airplane huh???) You want to use just a drip of BLUE Threadlock (Loctite) on the spindle threads. Make sure you dont use RED it will be next to impossible to get off the machine when you are ready to replace another one.
If you need better tools, I have tools designed especially for the job, as well as detailed instructions. You can email me at the address below if you are interested.

Thanks,

Ron

Bubbabear
04-07-2008, 06:30 PM
Hey justice have you added any new stuff

rjustice
04-07-2008, 06:34 PM
Bubba,
I have several things just about ready to release... I have been doing final testing on a replacement chuck, and i will be selling the wrenches used to adjust the eccentric nuts on the "Z" truck to aid in removal and replacement. Also a few other goodies. Not moving as fast as i would like but continuing to chug along!

Thanks for your interest!

Ron

jackssib1
04-07-2008, 06:42 PM
I'll be checking with you,,I know. lol
No The Hi Jack is not good at this time,,lmbo
Thx
Jack

DDV
04-07-2008, 11:13 PM
What oil do you all like?

Jack. I use a dry lube, like the stuff used on tumbler type locks. It seems to do a good job for me. Being dry it don't collect the dust like oil does. I have had very few problems with the chuck working right using the dry lube.
DDV

jackssib1
04-08-2008, 06:42 AM
I'll see if I can find it , take care.
Jack