PDA

View Full Version : Z Truck Play

jerrbitt
04-07-2008, 02:05 PM
I posted an inquiry the other day about movement of the Z truck. Have slight play – perhaps a 1/16th inch movement in the direction of the board movement. My concern is other posts indicated there should be no play in the Z or Y trucks

Talked to tech support this morning and was told it was adjustable and they would e-mail me a tutorial explaining how to adjust and eliminate the play.

I received two sets of instructions – both for replacing the Z Truck and the other for replacing the Y Truck. As best I can determine the only adjustments affecting the Z Truck would be its roller bearings. Here’s the catch, “…if the rollers cannot be rotated with the wrench the heads of the screws will have to be drilled out.”

The tech, who I’m sorry to say did not appear to be very knowledgeable about the procedure, told me that I would not have to replace the bearings – simply use vise grips to get the remainder of the screws out.

Before I get involved in this procedure, sure would like to hear from others who may have had to “enjoy” this experience.

I guess I’m going to have to do this or ship it back for them to do it. I say going to have to do it solely on the basis that some of my carvings show some chipping out on fine patterns even though using hard wood.

Advice anyone?

Jeff_Birt
04-07-2008, 02:12 PM
I think Al (Digitalwoodshop) and I have both posted a procedure on how to adjust the bearings. I'll see if I can search for it later. In truth it is probably very close to the instructions you have now. You need a flat 14mm (I think that is the size) wrench to do the job. I would first try and spin each bearing by and. The one that needs adjusted will spin freely, when they are properly adjusted they are very hard to spin by hand.

AskBud
04-07-2008, 02:51 PM
See if this helps.
AskBud
http://www.carvewright.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4284&highlight=Truck+Adjustment

jerrbitt
04-07-2008, 03:53 PM
Good reference Bud and particulary the adjustment technique. The wrench is a 12mm Jeff and if you find anything, sure would appreciate it.

jerrbitt
04-07-2008, 06:52 PM
I think Al (Digitalwoodshop) and I have both posted a procedure on how to adjust the bearings. I'll see if I can search for it later. In truth it is probably very close to the instructions you have now. You need a flat 14mm (I think that is the size) wrench to do the job. I would first try and spin each bearing by and. The one that needs adjusted will spin freely, when they are properly adjusted they are very hard to spin by hand.

Jeff,

Checked the spin on the bearings and as you advised, the two lower ones on the Z Truck were loose. Ground down a 12 MM wrench and slightly turned the adjusting nut and it tightened up. Took the play right out of the truck.

Not smart enough to figure out why only one side has adjusting nuts but both sides tightened up. Don't know if it will last, but for now, I'm on a CW high -- one repair attempted, one success.

Thanks.

hotpop
04-07-2008, 07:03 PM
jerrbitt,

Only the rollers on the right side of the "Z" truck have the cam adjustment. The next time you need to adjust or tighten the cam rollers add a drop of Locktight blue to the screws to prevent them from loosening again.

TerryT
04-07-2008, 08:30 PM
I had to do the same thing about 60 carving hours ago. No problem since. Mine was loosened by vibration from a bad chuck I think.

Jeff_Birt
04-07-2008, 08:40 PM
Great! Glad you got it fixed. Everyone should give the chuck a good wiggle every now and then to make sure things are still tight. It is very easy to make a quick adjustment like you did; it really stinks when you don't catch it and things break.

Digitalwoodshop
04-07-2008, 09:13 PM
Glad that helped. The main thing to remember is that you can't loosen or tighten the bearing to the final position with the screw driver. You must hold the screw only and turn the bearing wrench to first loosen it and more importantly when tightening it. Get it snug then holding the screw turn the wrench the last 1/8 to 1/4 turn to tighten the screw AND get the bearing to the MOST Closed position. If you miss you must loosen and adjust the screw and then with the wrench try again to get it tight and in the most closed position. To early and it will be loose, to late or past top dead center and you are loosing it again in position but tight bearing..... If that makes sense.....

Be careful not to twist the wrench too tight and break the screw off flush with the bearing..... Remember to move the head up and down to ensure it is centered in the rails, if not you could break the casting.

Good Luck,

Thanks for posting the link to my old post.

AL