PDA

View Full Version : Reflections Of A New User

jerrbitt
04-07-2008, 08:57 AM
I’m retired about 10 years now and first decided to augment my golf game with woodworking. After spending loads of money on tools and finally with the great generosity of my LOL, built a workshop, I have just about furnished the house with furniture. Learned a lot and still am and much via the SawMill Creek Forum. Lots of great woodworkers who are willing to share information just like the guys and gals on this forum.

Love this machine although I’m still with many questions and repeatedly referring to the manual as well as sending in many posts looking for answers and advice, but not yet in a position to offer advice.

For others just getting started, I urge you to read and read the manual and follow the tutorials. Neither are exceptionally well done in my opinion, but still informative. (Someone could make a fortune by writing “Compucarve and Carvewright for Dummies.”)

As I’ve been reminded by Jeff Britt use the search tool. Then, if your needs aren’t satisfied, post the question. As said, before, there are many seasoned operators out there who not only are glad to share information and experiences, but do so very quickly.

Lastly for now, maintain the machine – dust is your enemy.

PS. The only thing that bugs me about the machine is that it almost seems like cheating; the machine works, I watch.

ncamp
04-07-2008, 01:31 PM
PS. The only thing that bugs me about the machine is that it almost seems like cheating; the machine works, I watch.

Amen to that, but sometimes it is good to cheat.

Jeff_Birt
04-07-2008, 02:18 PM
Thanks for sharing your thoughts jerbitt. You are exactly right, it pays to do your research, start slow (and simple) and work your way up from there.

I know I harp on searching a lot, much to some folks dismay. But, it is one of our most important tools we have to learn about our machines. Like any other tool, it won't help us out any unless we learn how to use it, and then practice using it. It personally pains me to see someone flailing about, not knowing what is going wrong with their project when about 90% of the time they could find their answer with a simple search.

Betty Woodall
04-07-2008, 02:26 PM
Well spoken. We still have to refer to the manual when setting up a new project we have doubts about and we look to the forum to see what others have posted. This is a great machine and will do wonders for you if you learn how to use it. As you say read and reread the manual....BW

Kenm810
04-07-2008, 03:46 PM
I use the Search option every day, and learn something new every time I use it. There’s a Ton of information on this forum, put there by Folks trying to help fellow carvers. So keep it up Jeff, I for one don’t mind a bit. Plus as for another Senior Forum Member who often reminds us to read and use the Owner's Manual, He also has my vote.

Hope He doesn't mind

rjustice
04-07-2008, 07:06 PM
Ken... why could that be our old friend Paul (pkunk) in the picture??? LOL

Kenm810
04-07-2008, 07:21 PM
Hey Ron

Remember you said it, not I. I really don’t want our old friend, our buddy, our pal, our fellow carver to get upset with me.
Besides I think he looks rather distinguished with that Gray hair and stash. ---- right --- come on ---- Right

rjustice
04-07-2008, 07:25 PM
Now you know why i dont post a picture on my avatar! LOL

Too funny!:D

twinpeaksenterprises, LLC
04-07-2008, 07:46 PM
Great posts. "reflections" yes Jeff and the other moderators as well as other members have been instrumental in helping me through my struggles and the info is priceless. Keep up the good work guys. Well im gonna get out of here before Pkunk shows up...! haha.

Bill
04-07-2008, 07:58 PM
jerrbitt,
Welcome to the forum and like Jeff_ Bert said it does pays to do your research,
start slow and enjoy the ride like we all have.
Kenm810 ... Yes I must say there certainly is a strong resemblance of Paul here

pkunk
04-07-2008, 09:50 PM
Heheh, don't fear the Moderator.:p I do have a sense of humor and enjoy all your creations as well as your sense of humor. I also trim my 'stash' about every 2 weeks when it starts to strain my soup and am proud that i don't dye my grey. We all start out as friends and fellow CW carvers here. The moderators are just here to try and keep it that way.:D:D

IM2HAPPI
04-08-2008, 06:01 AM
I found a pair of glasses for you ;)

Kenm810
04-08-2008, 06:25 AM
Thanks Paul,

I just have to say you guys help make the Forum what it is.

And Ron I'm a little camera shy myself,
my wife says I always seem to stand out when I'm in group photo. http://www.carvewright.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_razz.gif