PDA

View Full Version : Sudden change in carving depth?

ArkiePaul
04-06-2008, 09:24 PM
:confused:Since I got my machine at Christmas everything was carving perfectly. Now suddenly it starts carving at the right depth but changes in mid cut to a higher cutting and then to a lower cutting. This causes different size lines across the board. It will even go deeper the longer it runs and eventually cut all the way through the board. I am carving on Red Oak 3/4 in. thick. I double checked my setings and everything seems correct. Any help on this is appreciated.

Digitalwoodshop
04-06-2008, 11:18 PM
My guess is that it is a Bad Z. My unit did just that. Call LHR 800-573-1226 opt 4 and they will troubleshoot it over the phone then send you a Z Bundle or just the Z Motor.

Read up on my Z Bundle posts so you are ready to swap the parts out. Sending your machine in is a risky thing. Many machines get very damaged in shipping.

Use "search" you need to use " " or it won't work.

Welcome and Good Luck,

Many of us have had this and worked through it and are happy carvers.....

I am assuming you are using a proper length board that is staying under the rollers and not popping up.

Z is up and down. Y is left and right and X is sand paper.

AL

hotpop
04-06-2008, 11:29 PM
ArkiePaul,

Before calling LHR check that you don't have a mechanical problem.

Turn off the machine.

Push and pull the "Z" truck up and down. If it is not smooth the wipe down the vertical rails clean then remove the dust covers from the rollers and clean them. If you still feel roughness blow out gear tooth belt as there might be a chip lodged in the teeth.

Replace the dust covers.

While your cleaning, lube the bit plate spring with some dry lube.

ArkiePaul
04-06-2008, 11:42 PM
I do have some catching when I move the "z" truck up and down. I blew out the entire machine with my air compressor before calling it quits. I will check all these things tomorrow and let you know how things go. If I need a new Z pack I will order one instead of sending the machine in. Love this thing too much to see it get tore up in shipping. I have ordered a new carving bit and some new 1/4 inch adapters as the adapter on my bit now is dented in a couple of places. Not sure how I did that as I have never dropped it. Oh well. gotta get some sleep now. Busy day tomorrow. Thanks a bunch!:p

liquidguitars
04-07-2008, 09:54 AM
my bit now is dented in a couple of places.

your adapter is now trashed and you will need to replace it. $5.95

also check for a loose bits in the adapter.

LG

ArkiePaul
04-07-2008, 07:00 PM
You are so right my friend. I have ordered two new adapters and the bit adjustment tool. I also ordered a new carving bit just to have an extra. I took the sensor out of the machine and there was a great deal of dust in it. Blew it all out. If it had not been for the screwed up adapter it would have carved fine. Guess I'll see in a few days if it will be back to normal. I miss it already!:D Learning more every day thanks to this forum.

carl
05-29-2017, 11:48 AM
recently happed to me and after disassembling down to the z truck I found that the lower right cam roller bearing was binding. I think this was enough to cause the z encoder to read differently that a good carve.