PDA

View Full Version : board sensors are fickle

oldjoe
04-05-2008, 09:10 PM
I have discovered that my board sensor has a mind of its own. Last Saturday I had a project coming that had to get done pronto. I was doing a sensor check and the best reading I could get out of my sensor was 55 so after cleaning and everything the manual said to do still 50. I figured I better order one to play it safe. The customer finally gave me the go ahead today with the project. So I started up the machine ran the carving just fine. I then later today decided to do another project. This time the board failed to measure clear board sensor message came up. Left the piece to be carved in machine check sensor reading and I got a 140 this should be good tried to start project again still came up with same error. Checked reading 160 now. Raised the head and watched the reading drop like it should. So I tried again this time shined a light on the board during measuring and ran thru fine. My machine is in a heated area so I don't think thats the problem. :confused:

Digitalwoodshop
04-05-2008, 11:06 PM
There are 2 emitters and 1 receiver. By adding light you could be making up for possibly a intermittent transmitter. When they break the 6 contact wires break from the circuit board. It is possible that one transmitter is broken. Most likely it will fail soon. Having one on hand would be a good thing.

AL

jackssib1
04-06-2008, 05:45 AM
Thats why I had to get a new one. I took down to clean and the thing fell apart. not soldered.
Jack

TerryT
04-06-2008, 06:35 AM
I was getting the same "clear sensor" error but was getting high readings. Turned out to be the front roller not compressing.

Digitalwoodshop
04-06-2008, 10:25 AM
What happens is the vibration causes the wire fatigue like bending a copper wire over and over until it breaks. The problem is the same with the Encoder wires on the circuit board too. The sealing will help... Makes it a more solid mass vice being held by 6 wires subject to fatigue.

AL

twinpeaksenterprises, LLC
04-06-2008, 10:51 AM
I just got my new board sensor. I was anticipating this new state of the art "sealed" sensor. So i opened it up and same old sensor with a little super glue around it. But hey it works and i guess ill seal up my other one with super glue. Can you see the guy at LHR or wherever with like 10,000 board sensors and a tube of super glue sealing them by hand.

oldjoe
04-06-2008, 04:05 PM
That remindes me I should look to see if the new one has been sealed. Yes I too am glad I have a spare never know 4:00 P.M. Saturday a hot job and poof there you sit with your finger in you well you know.