PDA

View Full Version : Clock finished/ Another Started

SandBuoy
04-04-2008, 09:27 PM
Well the Indian Head cent clock is being sent out tomorrow to my friend. Thought I would post it finished up and ready.

I started another one last weekend but decided to try making a mantel clock from it. This one will have a little darker stain and I think I want to fill the pores. The wall clock came out really nice but i really didn't care for the open pores.

I read you could use a paste filler on open pore woods like mahogany. Anyone use these before and do they take stains very well? I think I would also like to finish coat this one with a clear coat varnish or polyurethane.

BTW, the line running threw the mantel clock face middle is a wide lighter grain. It came out after carving and hopefully will not be so apparent after staining.

Amonaug
04-04-2008, 10:54 PM
That came out really nice, like the mantel one too.

mtylerfl
04-04-2008, 10:56 PM
Sandbout,

Those are fabulous! Extremely nice!

sewpeck
04-05-2008, 09:05 AM
You cannot use a penetrating stain with paste fillers as the stain will only ride over the filler. The beauty of wood is in the way the stain accentuates the pores or grains. If you use a stain that doesn't penetrate you will have what you are looking for.

oldjoe
04-05-2008, 09:30 AM
great looking projects keep them coming.

Ken Massingale
04-05-2008, 09:53 AM
When you're sanding go up to 400 grit. With the 400 wet sand (be sure you have wet/dry paper) to produce a slurry of lubricant and sawdust, sanding with the grain. When you have plenty of slurry wipe it off across the grain. This will fill the pores. If you'll PM your email addy I'll send you an excellent pdf on filling pores.
ken

fwharris
04-05-2008, 10:38 AM
SandBouy,

Great job! Really like how the pennies stand out. your friend will love it.

SandBuoy
04-05-2008, 11:25 AM
Thanks all for the nice comments and suggestions on finishing. Cannot wait to get my next project clock underway as it involves attaching different color cutouts and inlays.

amanda0101
04-05-2008, 11:54 PM
I love them

jackssib1
04-06-2008, 05:33 AM
Keep it up. And Thanks.
Jack

Jeff
04-06-2008, 09:46 PM
After staining, spit coat of dewaxed shellac (1 pound cut) then use a clear grain filler. Finish with whatever film finish you want.

The finished clock came out absolutely gorgeous! You HAVE to be proud of that one!

Jeff

Cmdr.Rav
04-06-2008, 11:52 PM
Very nice!!! On a side note Amanda you like to keep us on our toes don't you! Different hair color and now another new photo!!! I can't wait to see what you have in store for us next!!! Lol

Rav

SandBuoy
04-07-2008, 02:19 AM
Thanks Jeff for the help on finishing. Ken Massingale has been nice enough to help me with finishing this clock the old world way. Just about what you suggested. I really wanted to learn the finer points of finishing and it looks like I have a ton to learn with some new (old) products not used very much anymore. Going to be really exciting for me to try these tchniques out and watch the outcome. I will post the finished product in a couple weeks.

LOL to Rav, I noticed that too. think I will post another clock and see if it changes again haha....very nice Amanda.