PDA

View Full Version : My latest project

Amonaug
04-04-2008, 01:14 PM
This is my first attempt at a jewelry box and have learned a few things from it. I've modified the design afterwards to fix some goof ups and improve a few things.

oldjoe
04-04-2008, 01:23 PM
Wow that looks beautiful if there are any goof up on it I couldn't tell. Looks great. Is it possible to get some straight on pictures to see what you have carved. My computer screen isn't the best so it is hard to tell the details of the carvings. Or my eyes going nope I can see the screen okay must be that
Keep up the great work and keep the pics coming.
Thanks for sharing.

Ken Massingale
04-04-2008, 01:24 PM
That's really nice, I'm sure someone is going to be happy with it.
ken

SandBuoy
04-04-2008, 02:25 PM
Wow that came out great. Been working on some corian boxes. haven't done any side carving on them but I will now.

DocWheeler
04-04-2008, 02:31 PM
Amonaug,

That is a beautiful job. Having done some of those (similar), I understand some of the difficulties you found. Nice to see that you put legs on it, is there carving on the bottom?

Amonaug
04-04-2008, 02:45 PM
Thanks for all the compliments! This is my first time really working in wood (I'm really a digital artist :) )

The attached picture shows more detail (top = front, bottom = back) which should answer your question Doc :)

mtylerfl
04-04-2008, 03:12 PM
Very, very nice - superb job!

oldjoe
04-04-2008, 03:40 PM
Thanks for posting the other views. I was wondering if you did all the artwork yourself. I know so many questions but thats what you get when you do a beautiful piece of work like you did.

Amonaug
04-04-2008, 03:46 PM
Thanks for posting the other views. I was wondering if you did all the artwork yourself. I know so many questions but thats what you get when you do a beautiful piece of work like you did.

Except for the end peices which are from the Basic list in designer, the rest were patterns created by me. I'm having a hard time getting well rounded patterns without having extremely deep (ie .5+ inches depth). Seems designer flattens everything quite a bit.

dewey6800
04-06-2008, 03:01 PM
OMG, this box is beautiful! Great job, I never would have guest it for your first attempt. Keep up the good work.

bamaman315
04-07-2008, 12:41 PM
Will You Share Your Files? This Is An Awsome Box!!

jackssib1
04-07-2008, 12:58 PM
keep it going,,thats a great one.
Jack:)

Amonaug
04-09-2008, 03:23 PM
Will You Share Your Files? This Is An Awsome Box!!

I'm afraid not as I'll be selling them on my site.

Using a pattern I found on the forums I turned it into a clock made from walnut and finished with 2 coats of tung oil and 2 coats of lacquer. Can I get a suggestion on what type of gold paint works best with lacquer?

oldjoe
04-09-2008, 04:02 PM
They do make a liquid gold leaf have never used it but that might work.

dewey6800
04-11-2008, 05:42 PM
I'm afraid not as I'll be selling them on my site.

Using a pattern I found on the forums I turned it into a clock made from walnut and finished with 2 coats of tung oil and 2 coats of lacquer. Can I get a suggestion on what type of gold paint works best with lacquer?

Try using gold leafing.

Amonaug
04-11-2008, 05:43 PM
Try using gold leafing.

Wanted to try and stay away from that since it seems rather delicate to apply.

jspringertx
04-13-2008, 10:41 PM
Wanted to try and stay away from that since it seems rather delicate to apply.

I use the gold ink that I buy at Michaels or Hobby Lobby. You can buy a small bottle forless than $1.00, cleans up with soap and water, and dries quickly. I usually will apply two coats to make it birighter.

I have been very pleased with the results and it is easy!

Lin
04-14-2008, 04:44 AM
I have been using the gold leafing pen that Rust-o-leum has on lacquer and it has worked well for lettering and smaller area coverage for me. And it is very easy to apply.
Lin

Amonaug
04-14-2008, 12:13 PM
I have been using the gold leafing pen that Rust-o-leum has on lacquer and it has worked well for lettering and smaller area coverage for me. And it is very easy to apply.
Lin

Now do you laquer first then apply the pen or laquer over the pen?

I want to apply a coat of lacquer over the paint to protect it and the lacquer just dissolves enamel.

mtylerfl
04-14-2008, 01:14 PM
Hello Amanog,

For what it's worth...

When I use the gold-leafing pens, I do not apply a clearcoat over it. In fact, I complete the finish over the entire project (including clearcoat) then apply the gold-leaf pen as the last thing I do for the project.

In the past, I have found most clearcoats tend to dull the gold metallic sheen, so I no longer apply clearcoat over any "gold areas".

You could, of course, try various finishing techniques on a scrap board to see for yourself what will work and what doesn't - i.e., if the laquer will dissolve the gold or not.

Lin
04-14-2008, 04:05 PM
I have used lacquer over the gold leafing pen but as Michael states...it does dull the color so the last few I have done I did the gold leafing last after the clear coat was complete. To keep that nice gold color jumping out at you.
Lin

Amonaug
04-14-2008, 04:50 PM
Thanks for the advice.