PDA

View Full Version : Detail of scan

eromran
04-03-2008, 10:29 AM
Ok i did another scan with the probe I'm not wanting this cleaned up what i am wanting is to know is this what to expect from probe. To me it does not seem to be coming out with the detail (or maybe to much detail). when comparing what others are scanning it seems to be way off. If it is just a matter of cleaning up that's fine i was just trying to get an idea off what it should look like straight from scan. Any input will really be appreciated. THANKS

ChrisAlb
04-03-2008, 12:27 PM
Ed,

Did you have it in Best mode? I never tried a wrench like that but I would expect better results. My scanning has always been pretty detailed.

Chris

mtylerfl
04-03-2008, 01:56 PM
Yep, that's not the kind of detail normally achieved. Almost looks as if the wrench was not securely fastened to the sled, causing movement/vibration and distortion of the scan.

eromran
04-03-2008, 03:46 PM
Yep, that's not the kind of detail normally achieved. Almost looks as if the wrench was not securely fastened to the sled, causing movement/vibration and distortion of the scan.
I thought that but it was very secure, and chris the scan was set at best thank you both for the suggestions though if you have any other ideas i would try any I'm eager to get this right. I had posted some example of other scan i did on another tread asking about the detail also but the results on all the scans look the same (terrible)

mtylerfl
04-03-2008, 03:58 PM
Hello Ed,

If you are sure that the wrench (and other objects you tried) are absolutely solidly attached so that there is no vibration, you will need to contact Tech Support for other ideas as to why you are getting such poor results. You might even refer them to your photos so they can actually see the "icky" scans.

ChrisAlb
04-03-2008, 04:17 PM
I'd have to agree with Michael. With it mounted solid and set on best, you should get better results.

Check the chuck, Z truck and probe adapter in the chuck for being tight. The smallest amount of movement or play in any of them would likely cause big effects.

eromran
04-03-2008, 04:27 PM
Hello Ed,

If you are sure that the wrench (and other objects you tried) are absolutely solidly attached so that there is no vibration, you will need to contact Tech Support for other ideas as to why you are getting such poor results. You might even refer them to your photos so they can actually see the "icky" scans.
I am sure about peice being attached good but when you mention vibration it got me thinking about how my machine has always run without probe but i thought it was just the way that it ran. That is during the Y movement the moter make a lot of noise more at even slower speeds and the whole machine has a slight vibration the noise is coming from the motor on the key pad side where there looks like a heatsink. The sound is the sound you get on a motor when you try to keep it from turning almost like a deep hum. Is there any oiling or adjustments to do or try on that side.THANKS

ChrisAlb
04-03-2008, 04:35 PM
With the power off for at least 15 seconds, make sure the Y & Z movements are smooth when you move them by hand. If there's any "rough" spots, clean everything really good and put a little silicone spray on a rag and wipe the Y & Z rails. Keep working them by hand until it moves smoothly the whole way.

eromran
04-03-2008, 05:41 PM
With the power off for at least 15 seconds, make sure the Y & Z movements are smooth when you move them by hand. If there's any "rough" spots, clean everything really good and put a little silicone spray on a rag and wipe the Y & Z rails. Keep working them by hand until it moves smoothly the whole way.

Did as you said Then thought i would scan a clean mirror just to see how bad it was this is the picture on wood Not carved as it comes from scan) and the ptn picture.

gtj44
04-03-2008, 07:28 PM
eroman,

I'm new at this scanning probe too, but I think I've had pretty good success so far. I think I have a software glitch though. When I start, and position the probe for the first position and hit enter for the probe to mark the spot, no go, sometimes the probe makes a very small movement, other times it's dead. Start over and try again, then maybe it will descend after pushing enter 6 to 10 times. All other movements work as they should. Sometime if I remove the card and reinsert it, it works (power off of course). If it's not software then it could be a loose connection somewhere, but the machine carves fine, all axis' move ok.
I've attached a scan of a Proto Tool Wrench so you can see the results.

eromran
04-03-2008, 08:05 PM
eroman,

I'm new at this scanning probe too, but I think I've had pretty good success so far. I think I have a software glitch though. When I start, and position the probe for the first position and hit enter for the probe to mark the spot, no go, sometimes the probe makes a very small movement, other times it's dead. Start over and try again, then maybe it will descend after pushing enter 6 to 10 times. All other movements work as they should. Sometime if I remove the card and reinsert it, it works (power off of course). If it's not software then it could be a loose connection somewhere, but the machine carves fine, all axis' move ok.
I've attached a scan of a Proto Tool Wrench so you can see the results.
Thanks for the scan as you can see mine are not even close.

kyeakel
04-04-2008, 06:48 AM
Did as you said Then thought i would scan a clean mirror just to see how bad it was this is the picture on wood Not carved as it comes from scan) and the ptn picture.

Is the probe fully seated? Is your Z truck slipping? You're getting a difference is scan height where the image is darker.

When you do a carve do you get unexpected height differences? If so, I'd be suspecting the truck might be loose or slipping.

Kipp

eromran
04-05-2008, 07:52 AM
First off thanks to everyone for all suggestions, as i was trying several of them i noticed that the machine was not recognizing the probe every time but if i pulled on wire a little it would (a broke or shorted wire) after Carvewright called me back they had me take probe apart and see exactly where it was bad at. So the problem was the wire was causing intermittent signals and since the probe is just basically looking for open closed signals the wire was sending wrong signals. I would like to say that Carvewright was very helpful on their callback and did not rush you through the process of trying to figure out the problem they went over several alternative fixes before figuring out which was best to do. Once again thanks to every one on forum and to Carvewright (Omar). I think there should have been something in place that when you get probe there is a test to see if all is well kind of like you do your printers cause since probe still worked i could have went a long time thinking that what i was scanning was how it was suppose to be. Just thinking it was me or something i was doing wrong.

Dhaffner
04-06-2008, 02:49 PM
cool beans..any chance you'll show us an updated scan of that wrench for comparison?

eromran
04-06-2008, 03:09 PM
cool beans..any chance you'll show us an updated scan of that wrench for comparison?Good idea i'll do it as soon as i get the probe back it would be good for a before and after.

Bill
04-06-2008, 03:41 PM
Well eromran, if you got Omar you got one of the better technicians you can take what he tells you to the bank. http://www.carvewright.com/forum/images/icons/icon14.gif

eromran
04-06-2008, 04:03 PM
Well eromran, if you got Omar you got one of the better technicians you can take what he tells you to the bank. http://www.carvewright.com/forum/images/icons/icon14.gif
Thats good to know i'll be writting that name down ( even though it is a easy one to remember)

eromran
04-18-2008, 01:08 PM
Got a replacement probe in replaced z-pack and all that came with it put new probe in AGAIN there is a loose wire in the probe Again had to send it back did i say again, again ?

ChrisAlb
04-18-2008, 02:25 PM
Ed,

You might be better off trying to fix it yourself. If it is a loose wire, how hard can it be? I've never taken my probe apart (if it ain't broke and all) but from what I've read, it's not that hard. Much like the rest of the machine.

eromran
04-18-2008, 05:16 PM
Ed,

You might be better off trying to fix it yourself. If it is a loose wire, how hard can it be? I've never taken my probe apart (if it ain't broke and all) but from what I've read, it's not that hard. Much like the rest of the machine.Your right i would have been better off to fix it myself i was just so aggravated i felt when paying that much you deserve to get at least one good one. After the first one didn't work they did have me take it apart they are amazingly simple inside and how they work I think a person could make himself one fairly easily or use different probes on it. Its just a open close type switch activated by the probe (hence the name).

benluz
04-18-2008, 06:58 PM
Hello, yes , it's much faster to fix it yourself and learn how it all goes together.When the warranty is up, then what.,I had mine apart as far as you can take when z-motors were back ordered I pulled the optical Led fronm the z- pack and re-soldered the broken lead and it worked and at the time I did not know the y truck form the Z.The only way is to tinker and you'll feel better in the long run because you won't fear if the machine acts up...because you will know how to fix it.Also it's a good idea to keep a few spare parts feed belts, board sensor and a Z- motor pack,Then you'll be ready.
Ben