PDA

View Full Version : Restoring Favorites

mfdchief
04-01-2008, 10:26 PM
Hi,

I lost a hard drive and am tryng to restore my Carvewirght projects and favorites. I use Norton Ghost for my back ups and was able to find all my projects but only one small file named favorites.mpn. I found this in Documents and settings/administrator and scrolled through and found it. I restored the file and my favorites is still empty in Designer. It was only a 794 KB file so it couldn't have contained the 10 + items I had in it.

Unfortunately you can not search Ghost and this is the only mpn file I have found in the backups. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thank you. Mark

fwharris
04-01-2008, 11:59 PM
Hi,

I lost a hard drive and am tryng to restore my Carvewirght projects and favorites. I use Norton Ghost for my back ups and was able to find all my projects but only one small file named favorites.mpn. I found this in Documents and settings/administrator and scrolled through and found it. I restored the file and my favorites is still empty in Designer. It was only a 794 KB file so it couldn't have contained the 10 + items I had in it.

Unfortunately you can not search Ghost and this is the only mpn file I have found in the backups. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thank you. Mark

Mark,

Do not know if this will work or not but,
* open up your pattern list in designer (click on the pattern shell on the tool bar)
* in the pattern box, right click and see if it will let you "import"
* if it does, go to the file location for favorites.mpn and select it.

Other than that I do not have any other suggestions..

badger
04-02-2008, 01:33 AM
My best suggestion is to take your old hard drive into a computer repair shop and let them try to recover it. Youd be surprise what they can recover. Also depends on just how bad you need to get them back.

One other good suggestion to all is to invest in a DVD burner. And on occassion usually after ever project you do is to save all your patterns and projects to DVD. With a DVD able to old up to 4.7 GB you would probably never fill more than 1 of them up and would only need to reburn it only once about every couple years to a fresh DVD.

Rickrljones
04-02-2008, 08:11 AM
I also run Norton Ghost, Try searching under the following directories.
C:\Documents and Settings\Your Name\Carvewright Designer stores the file yor looking for in this directory. Hope this helps!!!

mfdchief
04-02-2008, 04:29 PM
Thanks to all to replied, I hope I have solved the problem. After I restored the file on my new HD I found the favorite.mpn file and double clicked on it...a new window opened in Designer and asked if I had purchased the library ???? There was also an area to "try before you buy" and I clicked that and it said my files had been placed in a trial area or something to that effect. Bottom line is all my Favorites are back. Thanks once again.

Mark