PDA

View Full Version : Sensor not reading Tape ?

SandBuoy
04-01-2008, 09:41 PM
Did search for this and didn't get any answers. Just of matter of passing it by becuase I know this has to have been brought up before.

I have a board I am carving for a bench back. I want to put the center design in first. Its only 18" long so I drew a center liner came off it 12-1/2" leaving 3-1/2" on each side of my design. Its so small I can't see measuring a 60" board from end to end. This way the machine is only measuring 25" and staying pretty blanced under the rollers.

I put blue painters tape at the 12-1/2" marks on top and around the keyboard side. I loaded the board, it measured width fine. But when it goes to measure the length it goes right pass the tape.

I have adjusted the extention plates to level with the board, cleaned the sensor (which isn't erroring) and have to idea what I am doing wrong. Its a peice of light hemlock and the tape should show fine to the sensor. Any ideas out there waht I am doing wrong? Appreciate all suggestion like usual.

pkunk
04-01-2008, 09:54 PM
Well, the sensor was designed to read the board. Once the board leaves a roller, the sensor looks for the end. Let it measure the whole board. Mine's measured lots of 'em.:p

SandBuoy
04-01-2008, 10:03 PM
Thanks for the suggestion Pkunk. But I was trying to get away from running the board threw end to end. I have my machine set up in a 5x9 room made for it. I only intended to but smaller board but this project came up. If it measures the board end to end thats about a foot more space then a have.

Thought maybe the paint solution would solve the probelm of reading the board end to end.

pkunk
04-01-2008, 10:19 PM
I guess you'll have to open a door or redesign the software.;)

hotpop
04-01-2008, 11:07 PM
SandBuoy,

Try a piece black electrical tape.

SandBuoy
04-01-2008, 11:27 PM
Thanks Pops, will let you know how it works tomorrow

SandBuoy
04-01-2008, 11:33 PM
well pop, it didn't read the black tape either. Will try some other things tomorrow and see if I can't just work it out. Thanks again guys.

TIMCOSBY
04-02-2008, 02:35 AM
for the ends to come out from under one of the rollers befor it starts looking for the end of the board.

just a thought. you could put a 1"x3/4" strip of wood on each side on top of the board with double sided tape about 7" less in length than you design and put the black tape on the 60" board at 3.5" from each end of the strips then it would look for the tape(end of board). when it went to look for the surface hit stop and jig over to the main board and hit enter.

SandBuoy
04-02-2008, 05:43 AM
Tim thanks, now it's makes some sence to me. Never occured to me that the roller sensor needed to roll off the end to start looking.

Rats spoiled again. I figured I could trick the sensor unit into thinking I had a 25" board in the machine instead of a 60" piece by using tape. looks like its back to the drawing board.

ChrisAlb
04-02-2008, 05:52 AM
I think Pkunk had the easiest solution, open the door.

TIMCOSBY
04-03-2008, 12:18 AM
the strips on top worked.