PDA

View Full Version : Very basic sled questions

bizbiki
04-01-2008, 03:53 PM
I have built a sled according to the specs some where on this forum. My question is that when I design a project do I use the demensions of the sled as the board size? and design the project in the center of it?

What about board thickness? Should I use the (height of the workpiece + the height of the sled = board thickness) to fool the machine?

What if the workpiece is not as tall as the side rails of the sled?

Should I add filler pieces of stock into the areas not covered by the workpiece along the entire length and width of the sled?

I bought a probe and have not had a chance to use it and I want to get used to using a sled before I scan something.

As always
Thanks for any and all help

Louie

eromran
04-01-2008, 04:11 PM
I have built a sled according to the specs some where on this forum. My question is that when I design a project do I use the demensions of the sled as the board size? and design the project in the center of it?

What about board thickness? Should I use the (height of the workpiece + the height of the sled = board thickness) to fool the machine?

What if the workpiece is not as tall as the side rails of the sled?

Should I add filler pieces of stock into the areas not covered by the workpiece along the entire length and width of the sled?

I bought a probe and have not had a chance to use it and I want to get used to using a sled before I scan something.

As always
Thanks for any and all help

LouieWhen you use the sled for scanning it is totally different than when used for cutting when scanning just place piece to be scanned on sled and attach (hot glue or something ) access program through machine and scan. No filler pieces you don't tell machine any dimensions you jog to position. Hope i understood you question right.

bizbiki
04-02-2008, 08:56 AM
When you use the sled for scanning it is totally different than when used for cutting when scanning just place piece to be scanned on sled and attach (hot glue or something ) access program through machine and scan. No filler pieces you don't tell machine any dimensions you jog to position. Hope i understood you question right.

I thought that the application would be different for the sled eitlher carving or using the probe.

But that still leaves the question about carving using the sled. Do I add the two thicknesses togeather (sled + workpiece) in designer?

Thanks

Louie

ChrisAlb
04-02-2008, 09:25 AM
I thought that the application would be different for the sled eitlher carving or using the probe.

But that still leaves the question about carving using the sled. Do I add the two thicknesses togeather (sled + workpiece) in designer?

Thanks

Louie

No. Setting the thickness in Designer is only for your "visual" reference. It has no bearing on the carve. Although I've heard it might for center line text but haven't tested it yet.

The side rails of your sled should be just a fraction above the surface of your project board. That way the rollers just touch the board as if you had no sled. If your board is 3/4, and your sled an inch deep, you need to pack up the board 1/4".

Make your "Virtual" board the same size as your sled for width and length. Now wherever you put the carving in that virtual space is where the CW will carve it.

So if you have a sled that's say, 10W X 20L, and you want to carve something 5 x 5, wherever you put that 5 x 5 carving in designer, put the board in the sled. Centered is always easiest when possible.

Hope that helps.

Chris

bizbiki
04-02-2008, 01:04 PM
Thanks Chris

That actually help alot. I should then place the work piece on a backing board to bring it up to the level of the siderails (almost) of the sled.

Many thanks
Louie

ChrisAlb
04-02-2008, 01:46 PM
Thanks Chris

That actually help alot. I should then place the work piece on a backing board to bring it up to the level of the siderails (almost) of the sled.

Many thanks
Louie

Yep. that way as far as the CW knows, it's just a piece of wood in there.

rue
04-11-2008, 04:40 PM
Thanks Chris. I had the same question and was looking all over for it.

ChrisAlb
04-11-2008, 05:21 PM
Thanks Chris. I had the same question and was looking all over for it.

My pleasure rue. Glad it helped

fwharris
04-11-2008, 05:32 PM
The side rails of your sled should be just a fraction above the surface of your project board. That way the rollers just touch the board as if you had no sled. If your board is 3/4, and your sled an inch deep, you need to pack up the board 1/4".
Hope that helps.

Chris

If the side rails are higher than the project board would that not affect your carving depth? Especially if when the bit is finding the board surface it touches the rail and not the project board? Just had to ask I use the same thickness for both when I use a sled..

ChrisAlb
04-11-2008, 05:38 PM
If the side rails are higher than the project board would that not affect your carving depth? Especially if when the bit is finding the board surface it touches the rail and not the project board? Just had to ask I use the same thickness for both when I use a sled..

In my post I said the rails should be the "same" height (a fraction higher) as the boards surface. But even if the rails are a bit higher, no, the bit will find the surface of the board.

If it's hitting the rail while finding the surface you switch to "jog manually" and jog to a position on the actual board you're carving.

fwharris
04-11-2008, 05:43 PM
Contradiction in terms "fraction higher" and "same height".
And yes you are right if they are not the same then you do need to jog to position..Thanks Chris.

ChrisAlb
04-11-2008, 06:52 PM
Contradiction in terms "fraction higher" and "same height".
And yes you are right if they are not the same then you do need to jog to position..Thanks Chris.

Splitting hairs here? lol

I guess it depends on your definition of a fraction. Me, being a meticulous carpenter all my life, a fraction is less than 1/64". So yes, to most, "same height"...lol