PDA

View Full Version : Depth And Height -- Dumb ?

jerrbitt
03-31-2008, 07:57 PM
I'm having a heck of a time getting depth and height configured particuolarly when using a combinaton of patterns. For example, the attached file is a revision over one that made a mess of the text -- too fine of detail. I revised it and although it looks okay now, I would like someone to take a look and tell me if it is "okay" or what I should do to refine it.

Also if one has an easy understanding for me to explaln depth and height, I'd appreciate it. I've gone through the tutorials many times but like I said, its not sinking in.

Jeff_Birt
03-31-2008, 08:51 PM
A LOT has been written about the Depth/Height relationship. Why not try a quick search on the subject and learn from what has already been written?

AskBud
03-31-2008, 10:00 PM
See if Issue #1 gives you some insight.
AskBud
http://carvewright.com/cms/tips-and-tricks

jerrbitt
04-01-2008, 09:21 AM
Appreciate the directions. Reading it now (again).

Jeff_Birt
04-01-2008, 09:42 AM
For example, I just searched for 'depth height' and found this about #10 on the list:

http://www.carvewright.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6569&highlight=depth+height

cnsranch
04-01-2008, 10:31 AM
Take a look at the attached - you'll see the diff in depth best with your turtle. Your carve region is set at .25, so if your turtle is set deeper than that, it'll carve down into the region - which I don't think you want.

Depth is simply how far you carve into the piece, so if your carve region is .25, anything in that region set deeper will carve deeper (that sounds really stupid, my bad) than your region. So, your turtle's "bottom edge" will look inset. If your turtle's depth is set at less than .25, it will look like the turtle is sitting too high - looks like it's got an edge to it.

Your text will show best the height diff. I've learned that height is not related to depth at all. The top of your wood is default at "999". If you manilpuate your board so that you're basically looking "just over the edge" of it, and then select, say, your text, you can see what happens when you change the height setting, less than 999 will make the top of your letters lower than the top of your piece. That really helps when you don't want your letters, or another pattern too "high" from the carve region. Hope that makes sense.

Also, I took the liberty of making all the merge styles as normal - the way you had them, you had no control over your text - and these guys have taught me, and I have proven them right, that you want some draft on your letters. Vertical edges will chip, drafting them will prevent that. I've found that feather works on your patterns, and draft works on your letters best.

I had to change the spacing of your text, though, after adding Draft so you have separation between them.

One other piece of advice, make sure you choose "Bit Optimization - Best" on all your patterns/text.

Just my two cents worth - 99% of these guys have forgotten more than I know!

Wid T
04-01-2008, 03:22 PM
I've only done one carving, SO take my suggestion with a sliver of wood.
I used the magnifier to enlarge the project and the E & A might get chipping on the thin parts.
CNranch post ( 2 cents ) looked good with the tappered letters.

Happy Carving
Wid T