PDA

View Full Version : Bit took a plunge

eromran
03-31-2008, 04:40 PM
Ultimately I got a z axis stall what caused it was the bit plunged straight through wood right when it started project. I had just finish one project loaded another board to do the same project again, so nothing changed except board. Is there anything i should check or do before i attempt another i would hate to keep breaking bits. Or is this just something that happens on occasion or is it a sign of something else. THANKS in advance.

Hexe SA
03-31-2008, 04:48 PM
Check your chuck make sure it is lubed and retracting freely no pieces missing. I always remove the bit in between carves and check the set screws on it. Last time I didn't it took me 3 weeks to get it out without breaking the chuck. Remove flex cable and clean spindle, clean the z-truck and try again.
Eva

auriclux
03-31-2008, 05:59 PM
You know, this just happened to me - broke a bit with no changes from the previous carve. And then I broke the QC. Check out the photo in the "Bit Chuck" thread.

Maybe take a mirror and check for any damage to the inside of the QC.

Jeff_Birt
03-31-2008, 06:43 PM
I would also make sure your bit plate is functioning properly. If it does not measure the length of the bit correctly it can really mess up the bit depth. Also move your Z-truck by hand and and down and feel for any 'catching' spots.

auriclux
03-31-2008, 07:58 PM
Jeff,

How can one assure proper bit plate operation? I think I saw the machine try to measure on the curve rather than on the flat.

Old Salt
03-31-2008, 08:09 PM
You may be you need a new z pack
call it in !
I would not try to carve with this happing you never know when but it may do it at time.

Jeff_Birt
03-31-2008, 09:07 PM
The last part of this artical shoudl get you started:

http://www.carvewright.com/downloads/tips/CarveWright_Tips_and_Tricks_Jan08.pdf

Then do a search for "bit plate" (with the quotes).....

eromran
03-31-2008, 10:22 PM
Thanks everybody this will all help i just did'nt know where to start i'll try to post the outcome if i don't loose track of tread. But i'll be down untill i get replacement bit that i should of had on hand. THANKS

Digitalwoodshop
04-01-2008, 07:34 AM
The bit touching the rounded side of the bit plate can give the Z a FALSE depth or Length and cause the bit to gouge into the wood and try to cut a 1/8 inch pass but due to the bit plate be cutting a 1/2 inch pass at full speed until something gives.... Bit Breaks, Z Stall, X Stall.... Just like my Cut Motor Brush Rant.... You must be in tune to what your machine is doing. I caused a Z Stall when I started my Radial Arm Saw while the bit was doing it's Z Plate thing. It is sensitive at that moment when it is looking for a Z Motor Current jump or dip as it touches the bit plate. A power fluctuation at that moment could be interpreted as a bit bump and give FALSE info to the machine causing a Z Stall or broken bit.

As for getting 100% participation out of your bit plate.... I and many others have put a piece of foam behind it and never worry about it again.... Unless you use a 14 inch board...

Good Luck,

AL

eromran
04-01-2008, 08:04 AM
The bit touching the rounded side of the bit plate can give the Z a FALSE depth or Length and cause the bit to gouge into the wood and try to cut a 1/8 inch pass but due to the bit plate be cutting a 1/2 inch pass at full speed until something gives.... Bit Breaks, Z Stall, X Stall.... Just like my Cut Motor Brush Rant.... You must be in tune to what your machine is doing. I caused a Z Stall when I started my Radial Arm Saw while the bit was doing it's Z Plate thing. It is sensitive at that moment when it is looking for a Z Motor Current jump or dip as it touches the bit plate. A power fluctuation at that moment could be interpreted as a bit bump and give FALSE info to the machine causing a Z Stall or broken bit.

As for getting 100% participation out of your bit plate.... I and many others have put a piece of foam behind it and never worry about it again.... Unless you use a 14 inch board...

Good Luck,

AL
For the most part i always try to make sure the bit touches down on the plate cause to many times it has not. But also I'm always in a hurry an as the machine is going through the other processes i am always starting something else up. So whether or not this was the problem this time i don't know but i will in the future let the machine finish its setup before i begin. THANKS

Digitalwoodshop
04-01-2008, 08:50 AM
This power fluctuation while the bit is homing and even measuring the top of the board is a important time for the machine. Starting another machine in the shop could be responsible for the confusing RANDOM Errors that we see posted from time to time.

I have a 200 amp service in my laser shop and a 100 amp sub service in the wood shop. All 12 Gage 20 Amp Outlets, one machine per circuit. But that Saw or Air Compressor starting will blink the lights ever so slightly....

We should start to observe "Quiet Time" when the machine is doing the Bit Checks and not start any equipment. Just watching the machine do it's thing can be reassuring and in the end the time we spend is well worth it as compared to ending up with scrap wood from a project. A Board Foot of wood is always more expensive then 2 minutes of my time watching the machine do it's pre checks.

Good Luck and Happy Carving,

AL

fwharris
04-03-2008, 10:42 PM
I would also make sure your bit plate is functioning properly. If it does not measure the length of the bit correctly it can really mess up the bit depth. Also move your Z-truck by hand and and down and feel for any 'catching' spots.

Jeff,

Thought I would share this picture of having the bit NOT TOUCH the bit plate at the correct location.
The carving had just finished doing the state outlines and I was changing from the 60 deg. bit to the 90 deg. bit for the text carve.
The first touch attempt failed because the bit plate did not come out all of the way. The Z-truck did the re-homing and re-asked to install 90 deg bit. I did a quick blow out with air and hand checked the movement of the plate.

Second attempt the bit plate came out on all of the way on the first check but on the second it only came out part way and the bit only touched the plate on the edge about 1/2 way down on the bit.

While I "thought" the Z-truck was going back to re-home again, I was reaching for the dry lube, it took off on it's way to the location of the text.

The long cut accross the board is Z-truck moving to text location and the hole is where the text carve start location.

I believe it was Al that said "the machine should be watched when it is going through the pre carve checks"
Yep, you are right!!

I was lucky that it was the 90 bit and not the carving or cutting bits.

I did find that the rails had a build up on them that prevented the z-truck from going all the way over and pushing the bit plate out. After wiping them down and some dry lube all was back to normal.

This was my 3rd board and had only done light cleaning after the other 2. I did flip the board over and carve it and now I have MY State quater board not too!!!!!!

auriclux
04-14-2008, 01:47 PM
My QC was munched a couple weeks back (replaced it a couple days back), and I think that it was because the bit measured on the corner of the bit plate rather than the flat. The failing left the bit and adapter stabbed in the wood. I had also broken a bit prior, that I now believe was also due to the bit plate error.

I recall others writing that that they fix the bit plate in its extended position.

After playing with the truck and bit plate for a while, I came up with the bit plate clip pictured, which merely shims the contact between truck and plate. The clip is bent copper sheet, and in operation slides along the curve of the plate and rotates as the truck pushes in, finally extending the plate fully.

At least in its maiden voyage. We'll see how long it lasts.

jspringertx
04-14-2008, 10:04 PM

Good Luck,

AL

I had the problem with the bit plate and found that a piece of foam inserted behind the bit plate works just fine. I agree with Al!

eromran
04-14-2008, 10:49 PM
You may be you need a new z pack
call it in !
I would not try to carve with this happing you never know when but it may do it at time.I called Carvewright last week and they were sending me a (A907 Z Motor New Bundle) it should arrive this week and i will let you know if this takes care of it. Carvewright so far has been great about this easy to get a hold of easy to take care of it above and beyond what they had to do.
Thanks all

Arkat3
04-21-2008, 09:18 PM
I also received the motor bundle after a bit went through a project. The parts arrived today with no instructions. The connections on the old controller are different than the new parts. I will request instructions and go from there.

Dana

eromran
04-22-2008, 06:11 AM
I also received the motor bundle after a bit went through a project. The parts arrived today with no instructions. The connections on the old controller are different than the new parts. I will request instructions and go from there.

DanaGot Z-Pac bundle in and installed everything did a 4 1/2 hour carve yesterday and everything worked great motor sounds a lot different missing the high pitch sound (like its struggling) If your fixing to install new motor call and have the newest PDF emailed to you it is still lacking but is a lot better than the one i found on forum. Maybe the newest one could be listed that would have been a big help. (I might have over looked it on here).Just tried to upload the PDF to the fourm but it is to big.