PDA

View Full Version : Need help with the attached

cnsranch
03-31-2008, 10:44 AM
I thought I had this figured out. Couple of weeks ago, I designed a project that basically has two projects in one (see attached). The first project is a design with a large carve region in it. The second project involves centerline text that is basically carved into the carve region of the first, after the first is completed. Since centerline can't be carved into a carve region in any given project, I figured that this was the only way to do it. Seems to make sense.

Here's the problem - when starting the second project, the CW asks me to choose a vector bit (don't know just what that is, if you do, enlighten me). Anyways, I choose 90 degree v bit, CW asks me to load bit, I do, then the CW goes through the motions of finding the surface - no problems with the bit lever, I stop it to manually jig (so as to miss the design patterns in the first project), that works ok, then it finds the surface, etc., then asks me to load the 90 degree bit again, and the process starts all over again, time after time. When the CW asks me to choose the vector bit, I've chosen the 60 degree bit, the 1/6" carving bit, the 1/8" cutting bit, all with the same results.

I've changed the project itself to reflect a .75 thickness, a .5 and even a .43 thickness, all to no avail.

Threads show that teh bit lever is typically the culprit, but mine's fine. I believe that the problem is with some flaw in my two designs, I just can't figure out where.

This isn't CW error, it's me error.

ok you geniuses, what am I doing wrong?

Dan-Woodman
03-31-2008, 04:44 PM
One thing I see is both your boards are the same thickness,so when it finds the bit maybe theres too much difference between the thickness of the board and the thickness the bit is finding.
Your second project is expecting the board to be 0.750 thick, but your carve region from board one is 0.500 thick . Just a thought here.
Another thing is have you tried to manually jog the 90 deg. bit before it attempts to cut the lettering in the first project?
You have everything in the first project, does it attempt to cut the letters?

cnsranch
03-31-2008, 04:50 PM
I've tried setting the project to different thicknesses - doesn't make a difference. The problem may be that the edges of the project are still .75", while the area for text is .50 - that may really be messing the CW up.

Re your question about jogging the bit - I assume you're talking about during the first carve. Unless I'm misunderstanding your question - you can't use centerline in a carve region - that's the reason for this mess in the first place.

Dan-Woodman
03-31-2008, 05:20 PM
Just curious, when you ran the first project, what did your machine do when it came time to rout the letters as they are included in your first project.
later Daniel

DocWheeler
03-31-2008, 05:50 PM
cns,

I notice that you did not have bits selected for the Centerline, don't know if it makes a difference. I do know that my machine refused to do Centerline in an area lower than the bit-plate.

If there is anyone out there that successfully carves Centerline in a carve region with the newer software, please let us know if it is possible.

Dan-Woodman
03-31-2008, 06:21 PM
Ken
Sounds like a tuteral is in order from some of the experts ah? Maybe someone will come up with one. I wouldn't mind trying, but I've been on 6 days a weekat my regular job since Christmas, not much carving going on here.
later Daniel

DocWheeler
03-31-2008, 06:42 PM
Dan,

Don't let you or your machine get rusty! Tme for a vacation my friend.

I don't know what I'm talking about come to think of it. I have not turned on my machine for a couple of weeks except to dosom learning/testing. Time for bothof us to get-carving (before all that outside work keeps us outside).

Dan-Woodman
03-31-2008, 06:48 PM
My 6 days a week is not voluntary, it's mandatory. The co. I work for is too cheap to hire more people. It's cheaper to pay massive overtime than it is to hire more.

supers ready later Daniel

cnsranch
04-01-2008, 09:03 AM
I should have said earlier that I had the centerline in the first project for reference only, and deleted it before the carve.

cnsranch
04-01-2008, 09:16 AM
Re your comment, Doc, on the bits not showing as "chosen" - you may be on to something. I just opened what I attached for you all to look at, and the bits ARE chosen in my computer. However, they wouldn't show up as "chosen" on my computer at home.

So, if they show on this computer, but they don't on yours or on mine at home, what could that mean? I'm using 1.126 on both, but I designed the project on one computer, saved it on a memory stick, then took it home and loaded it there.

To confuse this further, I just opened the project directly from the memory stick, and the bits are "chosen". Again, I'm all but positive that they don't show when I open them at home.

What do you think?

DocWheeler
04-01-2008, 09:31 AM
csn,

It probably does not matter. I just ran a test without selecting a bit and it prompted me for the "vector 90 degree" bit. I used the 60 degree bit instead, no problem.

cnsranch
04-01-2008, 09:34 AM
Why is it asking for a vector bit in the first place?

cnsranch
04-01-2008, 09:39 AM
Ran the attached as a test - CW didn't ask for a vector bit - maybe because the fonts are smaller than the name on the project?

BTW, I covered a piece of white board (cheap pine) with clear packing tape before carving the attached. After the carve, I used black enamel to spray the letters, let it dry, then pulled the tape off. Very little sanding gave me perfect letters.

cnsranch
04-11-2008, 01:00 PM
Here's an update on trying to figure this out. Here's my original thread:

I thought I had this figured out. Couple of weeks ago, I designed a project that basically has two projects in one (see attached). The first project is a design with a large carve region in it. The second project involves centerline text that is basically carved into the carve region of the first, after the first is completed. Since centerline can't be carved into a carve region in any given project, I figured that this was the only way to do it. Seems to make sense.

Here's the problem - when starting the second project, the CW asks me to choose a vector bit. I choose 90 degree v bit, CW asks me to load bit, I do, then the CW goes through the motions of finding the surface - no problems with the bit lever, I stop it to manually jig (so as to miss the design patterns in the first project), that works ok, then it finds the surface, etc., then asks me to load the 90 degree bit again, and the process starts all over again, time after time.

I've changed the project itself to reflect a .75 thickness, a .5 and even a .43 thickness, all to no avail.

Threads show that the bit lever is typically the culprit, but mine's fine. I believe that the problem is with some flaw in my two designs, I just can't figure out where.

This isn't CW error, it's me error.

Here's where I am now:

Good news is that I'm learning more about the machine and it's capabilities. Bad news is that I still can't get this project to carve.

I have made both sets of fonts set up to use 90v bit, not 90 and 60 - Jeff thought that may be confusing the CW. Didn't make a difference.

The first project carved fine, no problems.

Here are two new thoughts that you guys may be able to lend insight on.

1. The second carve is being done over the first, which now has higher edges along its length, and 3.5 inches longer on each end (sorry, get x and z axes confused). This would really be like trying to carve the second project in a sled. But I think I've seen threads where your sled needs to be the same heighth as your project. Could this be my problem?

2. As I thought that maybe the centerline was going to carve deeper than the .50 I have left in the board, I thought that may be why the CW keeps looping over and over in the load bit process. So, I taped the project board to another board of equal thickness to see it I could fool the CW - no deal.

I've re-attached the two mpc's with my changes (the first has the text for reference only - I deleted the text before carving the first project). There has got to be a simple answer to this - I'm kinda like a bird dog with lockjaw when something like this comes up.

Thanks for your help.

cnsranch
07-21-2008, 11:41 AM
The attached will show the results of my trying to figure this out for months (sorry, I'm slow).

Project designed in two parts. First part carved, then load up second project. Here's what I did from there to get results:

When the CW asked for me to load the 90 degree v bit, I loaded a bit that was exactly .25" shorter than my v bit (I had an extra bit holder, just loaded a bit into it and measured it against the 90). Jogged to touch on the area that hadn't been carved - the CW measured the "fake" bit to the surface, bit plate, etc. When the machine spun up to begin the centerline carve, I opened the cover, changed to the correct bit (now .25" longer than measured), closed cover, hit enter, and voila!! I got centerline in the carve region!!

Designer will allow Centerline to be programmed into a carve region, but will only allow the centerline cut depth from the original surface. So, the v bit will simply carve in thin air. Technically, it's still doing just that, I've fooled the machine by making the bit longer by the depth of the carve region.

Finally, some sanding work left, but do any of you have any finishing suggestions?

Dan-Woodman
07-21-2008, 05:29 PM
Don't ya just love it when we can outsmart a computer?
I have done that drilling adjustable shelf holes in sides of cabinets . Since there is no 1/4" bit to select I just tell it to drill 1/8" holes and replace the bit with a 1/4" bit
later Daniel