PDA

View Full Version : Cutout with backside region

gmalanoski
03-30-2008, 09:52 PM
I'm pretty sure this has been asked before, but I couldn't find anything on the search. With that said, I'm trying to make some picture frames and would like to route out the recess on the backside. This would be about .25" out of a .75" thick board. Once the board is flipped, I want to do a cutpath on the individual sections.

I DID NOT attempt to run it this way. Basically, I ran it without the recess and performed that function with my handheld router. However, because there isn't very much material I made a small slip and ruined the frame (which is why I used mdf 1st!). So, I'm just thinking that if the software/machine would automatically compensate for the backside recess and add the tabs in a better location, that would be great. My instinct and current belief says that it will not recalculate the tab locations. So, I'm thinking I should just make a larger router base. :)

Can anyone confirm the exact functionality?

andes
03-30-2008, 11:08 PM
gmalanoski,

You may want to read this:

http://www.carvewright.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5804&highlight=ANDES

Andes

hotpop
03-31-2008, 12:12 AM
Greg,

To make a picture frame with a recess in the back for glass and picture look at this procedure.

In Designer place the frame pattern on the rear side of the board set cut path to cut out the inside of the frame.

Remember the CW will machine the back side first on a two sided project.

On the front side of the board put in your recess for you glass and picture and run Cut Path around the outside of the frame.

This will work only if the outside edges of your frame is full thickness.

Another plan:

Make two seperate programs. Run the back side for the glass recess first and cut path the middle. Second program cuts the front side and cut paths the outside edges.

trusalt
03-31-2008, 07:19 AM
I have done a couple picture frames and they work well. I designed it in reverse, so the program thinks the back is the front. As previously stated, the machine does the back first. The machine stops and asks you to flip the board. The lineup came out perfectly and I was satisfied with the result.

gmalanoski
03-31-2008, 08:24 AM
Thank you guys! I believe reversing the front and back sides will do exactly what I need it to do. I'm almost embarrassed that I didn't think of this. And, if it weren't for the text portion I'm placing on the front, there would be no need for a 2 sided carve.

I'm working on a couple of these and will post them to the forum in the next few days.

Thanks again,

TIMCOSBY
03-31-2008, 11:28 PM
carve regions will work on the back though.