PDA

View Full Version : How do I get a carve section within a carve section.

stubrown
03-30-2008, 06:48 PM
Suppose I put a circle with a carve region. Now I would like to put another one inside that with a little deeper circle.

Also, a question on surfaces. Assume I waqnt to make a target with some surface on every other circle in the target, and the others clear.

Thanks gang:)

Kenm810
03-30-2008, 08:00 PM
stubrown,

If I'm understanding what your asking,
You could use one of your graphics programs to draw the rings or circles to the size you want
and with the grayscale to set your depths. Here's a quick sample with just black and white

Dan-Woodman
03-31-2008, 04:50 PM
Suppose I put a circle with a carve region. Now I would like to put another one inside that with a little deeper circle.

You can use drill for deeper circle and a carve region for the larger shallower circle.
later Daniel

Kenm810
03-31-2008, 06:03 PM
Cool one Dan, pretty bacic

I haven't tried that before myself http://www.carvewright.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_biggrin.gif

Dan-Woodman
03-31-2008, 06:40 PM
Ken
Thats a lot of drilling, careful you might strike oil. LOL
Also along with your rings project, with proper spacing you could use a roundover bit that comes to a point and have a rousette. The only thing is it doesn't look good in designer because the bit they use has a flat bottom. Roundover that come to a point are available at www.woodline.com . No I do not work for this co. They just have good bits and a hugh selection.
later Daniel

Kenm810
03-31-2008, 08:31 PM
Hey Dan,

It is really fun to experiment with this machine,
I'm always trying to find new things it can do, along with a few at it can't.
More than half the carving I do has no end product, other then lots of wood chips and dust.
I had it carving 3x4 inch aromatic Cedar blocks for two hours today just to see how long it would take for someone
to come in from one of the other studios to see who turned the Hamsters loose. http://www.carvewright.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_razz.gif

mostlycold
04-01-2008, 11:01 PM
Instead of a circle in a circle, is there anyway to carve a ring from a piece of wood where the diameter, wall depth and angle can all be specified? eg., a ring with a 2 inch inside diameter, 5/8 wall thickness, with a 40 degree incline from top to bottom, through a 3/4 inch thick piece of wood.

If the machine can actually do this, I think it might take a mathmatician to tell it how..........any brainiacs out there?

ChrisAlb
04-02-2008, 06:37 AM
Instead of a circle in a circle, is there anyway to carve a ring from a piece of wood where the diameter, wall depth and angle can all be specified? eg., a ring with a 2 inch inside diameter, 5/8 wall thickness, with a 40 degree incline from top to bottom, through a 3/4 inch thick piece of wood.

If the machine can actually do this, I think it might take a mathmatician to tell it how..........any brainiacs out there?

Hey mostlycold,

I'm no brain-iac but this shouldn't take one so, hopefully, I'm good to go.

This was done in 1/2" thick not 3/4. 3 simple circles, 2 cut paths and the V60 bit. Now that's not quite the 40 degree tapper it's a 30 but the V90 would give you 45. This is how to use just Designer to get close.

To make exactly what you described would just be a little time in a graphics app but I know it can be done. Through a LOT of experience in trial, error and success I know one thing for sure. Within the physical limits of the machine,

"If you can draw it, The CW can cut it"

Chris

mostlycold
04-04-2008, 01:16 AM
Very Cool!!!!!!!!

Dan-Woodman
04-04-2008, 05:29 PM
Almost looks like a ring cut on the Ringmaster machine. Cut several more different sizes , glue together, and you have a bowl. Could be done on the CW but I think I would use my ringmaster for this one. I have thought about carving a lid for some bowls though.
Has anyone made a ringmaster bowl, with a CW carved lid?
later Daniel

Amonaug
04-04-2008, 06:19 PM

It can be done if you have a graphics program such as Corel Draw which can measure in inches while you draw. To get the correct angle you would use this to help calculate
http://www.easycalculation.com/trigonometry/triangle-angles.php

You would calculate for the hypotenuse and adjacent side. The length of the opposite side is 0.75 (the thickness of the wood). The angle is 50, all 3 angles of a triangle = 180. We already know 2 sides, 90 degrees and the angle you want which is 40 degrees (ie the top angle) so that is 180 - 90 - 40 = 50. The answer for the adjcent side is .6293 which means that

Inner circle is 1" radius
next circle is 1.625" radius
outer circle is 2.2543" radius

Fill between the middle and outer circle with a grey gradient from 0-255 and you have your pattern to inport into designer. And fill the center ring with pure black. In Corel Draw you would use a gradient radial fill with black a 0 and 25% and white from 50% and 100% (values may need to be adjusted if this doesn't produce a true 40 degree angle). Then you invert when imported into designer and lower to get rid of the square bottom and center fill, also making sure to set the depth to .75.