PDA

View Full Version : Carve depth of cut

Will
03-30-2008, 03:58 PM
I tried to cut an old project that had a carve depth of 1" that had been cut before and the depth was changed to .8" so every thing came out to shallow.
I looked at the updates and one of them seems to limit the carve depth .
I also added 1/8" feathering to the cuts but still changes the depth to .8".
In the facts it states you can carve 1" deep with feathering but the software will not let it. I then went to another computer with older version of the soft ware and it will let you carve 1" deep . any one else with this problem?

hotpop
03-30-2008, 10:46 PM
Will,

What are the versions of Designer you are using on each computer?

Is it a Windows or Mac machine?

Will
03-31-2008, 01:36 PM
I am curently using win XP on both machines. The version of cc doft ware on work computer is 1.126 . the version on home computer is 1.120. Version 1.126 will only let you carve to a depth of .8" max . version 1.120 will let you carve full 1" depth . I even tried to ad 1/8" feather which the faqs say will let you carve up to 1" depth but the soft ware changes the depth to .8" . Sombody goofed on the depth fix ,the upgrade from 1.120 to 1.123 item #6 is what I think is the culprit .It says ( added checks on max carving depth and max cut through for machine protection.) I made a lot of 1" cut with the carving bit in mdf and never had a problem , why fix thing that are not broken?

TCboy
03-31-2008, 01:56 PM
The cut depth of the software was reduced from one inch to .8 inches to help avoid issues that could occur during carving. The actual cut-path was not changed. It will still cut through items 1 inch in thickness.

Will
03-31-2008, 02:41 PM
That is probably true but now you can't do a carve 1" deep even if it is featherd .

Dan-Woodman
03-31-2008, 05:15 PM
I think you were really lucky your carving bit didn't break, as the 1/16" carving bit is only ground at 3/4". It looks as thou you could push about 7/8" , but I think you would be just pushing the top of your carve region instead of cutting it. My bit measures 3/4" cut length.
later Daniel

DocWheeler
03-31-2008, 05:56 PM
Daniel,

One inch long carving bits are available from several sources, I even think that Ron Justice has them.

I think that Will was referring to feathering reducing the area that the bit contacts the material. This would seem to be be a simple programming change to check to see if feathering was on and allow deeper carves if it was.

Dan-Woodman
03-31-2008, 06:26 PM
Ken
Are you saying the actual "cutlength" of the bit is one inch? Mine is 3/4", but then again it's the origanal bit that came with the machine in Feb. 06.
later Daniel

DocWheeler
03-31-2008, 06:37 PM
Dan,

Yep, that's what I meant. I have one of the sites marked on my other computer, but when I sent the link to Ron Justice, he said the one he makes is similar. The new software put a crimp in their sales!

Will
04-02-2008, 04:49 PM
Even if you have the fethering option on the soft ware still limites the depth to .8 .