PDA

View Full Version : Airport

eromran
03-30-2008, 10:27 AM
I was wondering or thinking about something this morning. I believe on the keypad side around the truck area there is a port that goes to the motor. One of my questions is does air come out of it maybe from the back pressure of motor since it looks like it runs to motor were the muffler is. And if this is the case could you (as has been suggested for noise, stuff a sock in the muffler ) there by creating more back pressure to come out the other port instead of muffler. This would then create more air flow across work piece. ANY THOUGHTS ?

pkunk
03-30-2008, 10:53 AM
I wouldn't. The motor would probably overheat from lack of cooling air flow. Even a really dirty clogged muffler can cause the motor to run hotter.

eromran
03-30-2008, 10:57 AM
I wouldn't. The motor would probably overheat from lack of cooling air flow. Even a really dirty clogged muffler can cause the motor to run hotter.

Ok, no sock but do you know if air come out this port ?

Jeff_Birt
03-30-2008, 11:37 AM
I believe on the keypad side around the truck area there is a port that goes to the motor.

That is the air INTAKE port, the air exhausts through the bag...

eromran
03-30-2008, 11:46 AM

Thank a lot Jeff that clears up a lot of what i was thinking, but opened up another question then. That would be if this is the intake from inside machine what about is there a filter on this side since it is sucking from were all the dust is. And does it need cleaned or does the port ever need to be cleaned out?

Jeff_Birt
03-30-2008, 12:00 PM
The bag is the filter.

eromran
03-30-2008, 12:21 PM
The bag is the filter.

I relize bag is filter but if this port is sucking air from within machine to the motor would it not need a filter to keep saw dust from clogging port or getting to the motor ?

Jeff_Birt
03-30-2008, 12:24 PM
The motor has a built in 'vacuum impeller' in separate sealed section on the front. It's job is to draw in the fine airborne particles inside the machine and filter them through the bag. It's sort of like the little dust bags that come on palm sanders. The dust does not go through the main parts of the motor.

Kenm810
03-30-2008, 12:26 PM
Normally if it's working properly the exhaust air dose come out of the machine through the exhaust port with a little dust,
but some machines the air exits with a vengeance.
Some folks have posted they have to duct tape the bag on, after for being repeatedly blown off the dust port,
plus a few other have said that their muffler bags have had holes blown in them, and have stopped using the bags altogether,
Which can make a Relatively loud machine even louder.

eromran
03-30-2008, 12:29 PM
The motor has a built in 'vacuum impeller' in separate sealed section on the front. It's job is to draw in the fine airborne particles inside the machine and filter them through the bag. It's sort of like the little dust bags that come on palm sanders. The dust does not go through the main parts of the motor.

Once again thanks for the quick response.

Digitalwoodshop
03-30-2008, 12:38 PM
I believe the port is drawing air from the electronics section for cooling of the Power Supply and Computer....

AL

hotpop
03-30-2008, 12:40 PM
Hey Jeff.

The little air port behind the LCD is connected to the exhaust and is not an air intake. It blows air across cutting area that is why most of the chips end up on the far side of the machine.

While the machine is running slide a sliver of paper in front of the port down through the cover top slot.

Dan-Woodman
03-30-2008, 12:40 PM
When this machine first came out the ducted work going to the muffler was for sucking dust away from sencers, but now that is no longer neccesary. Now , its just used as a muffler for moter noise.
later Daniel

eromran
03-30-2008, 02:29 PM
Hey Jeff.

The little air port behind the LCD is connected to the exhaust and is not an air intake. It blows air across cutting area that is why most of the chips end up on the far side of the machine.

While the machine is running slide a sliver of paper in front of the port down through the cover top slot.
If it is indeed a exhaust and not a intake i was wondering if we could not use a setup like digitalwoodshop used for blowing the particle away by the use off the copper tube except come off the outlet from inside machine? (I may be wrong on who posted this setup with the copper tube i could not find it again.)

Jeff_Birt
03-30-2008, 02:56 PM
Guys, it is an INTAKE. It runs across the cover and into the motors impeller and gets exhausted through the bag.

From the FAQ on CW website:

Does the machine have a dust collection system? The machine does have a vacuum impeller built-in as well as an external vacuum port that fits 2-1/4” OD hose. The built-in vacuum system maintains airflow through the machine and removes airborne dust that can build up on the sensors. It is not designed to remove all generated chips and dust. Most of the dust generated by the CarveWright remains confined in the machine and will not affect the machine performance. After every project simply vacuum or use compressed air to clear the dust

www.go3d.us
03-30-2008, 03:56 PM
The thing on the key pad side is the air blower, it blow the dirt to the intake under the rail where the motor is located. The intake didn't do a very good job though.

HT

eromran
03-30-2008, 04:16 PM
The thing on the key pad side is the air blower, it blow the dirt to the intake under the rail where the motor is located. The intake didn't do a very good job though.

HT

So far i think the original question seems to be a toss up. Any more Ideas ?

hotpop
03-30-2008, 04:34 PM
Jeff,

You and I have got to have two different machines or we're talking about two different things.

I am just finishing a carve project. While the machine is running I slid 3/4" wide a piece of paper in front of the port. The air is coming out of the port.

Maybe we need a forum vote. Is it an inny or an outy?

Jeff_Birt
03-30-2008, 06:17 PM
OK, I must humbly eat crow....the aforementioned port doesn't suck. it blows! Wow, I must have pulled the idea that that was the intake port out of my rear end when I first got my machine as that is what I though it was all along.

Realizing what it is now, it looks like it is designed to keep sawdust away from the board tracking sensor. I would be hesitant about re-tasking/redirecting it. But, what do I know, I thought it sucked this whole time...

Edit: Looking at Al's pictures close I see there are two separate impeller sections. The rear one draws air past the motor and out the EXAUST tube by the keypad. The front one draws air in from the front bottom of the motor and exhausts it into the bag.

Kenm810
03-30-2008, 06:34 PM
Yup, Names and Part Numbers

jerrbitt
03-30-2008, 06:35 PM
At the Charlotte Woodworkers show, I adked the CW rep about dust collection and whether it was a good idea to hook up a 2 1/2" dust collection hose in lied of hte muffler bag. He said it would not do any good since the newer machines do not attempt to exit any dust through that port.

So I used the bottom of the machine to hook up a 4" hose which works great. In opearation you can see the sawdust being blown across the machine -- in the direction opposit the key pad.

eromran
03-30-2008, 07:16 PM
OK, I must humbly eat crow....the aforementioned port doesn't suck. it blows! Wow, I must have pulled the idea that that was the intake port out of my rear end when I first got my machine as that is what I though it was all along.

Realizing what it is now, it looks like it is designed to keep sawdust away from the board tracking sensor. I would be hesitant about re-tasking/redirecting it. But, what do I know, I thought it sucked this whole time...

Edit: Looking at Al's pictures close I see there are two separate impeller sections. The rear one draws air past the motor and out the EXAUST tube by the keypad. The front one draws air in from the front bottom of the motor and exhausts it into the bag.

I was'nt talking about redrecting the port just tapping into it. But along the same line if the muffler is not collecting dust any more could you tape into that or maybe redrect it a little back into the other port for greater air flow accross work peice

Kenm810
03-30-2008, 07:32 PM
Quote -- greater air flow across work peice

If I may -- there is another way to do that with out having to modify the machine.
There are a few posts about air blasts and air jet devices that can do the same
thing with out jeopardizing the Machines warranty. Just a thought

NCGrimbo
04-03-2008, 03:04 PM
At the Charlotte Woodworkers show, I adked the CW rep about dust collection and whether it was a good idea to hook up a 2 1/2" dust collection hose in lied of hte muffler bag. He said it would not do any good since the newer machines do not attempt to exit any dust through that port.

So I used the bottom of the machine to hook up a 4" hose which works great. In opearation you can see the sawdust being blown across the machine -- in the direction opposit the key pad.

Got any pictures of this?

dr01allen
04-13-2008, 10:24 AM
Is there any way to put fan blades on the chuck or bit adapter?

I have USB fan that uses foam blades and puts out a nice breeze. They're light, flexible and when bent, straighten out in use.

bizbiki
04-14-2008, 09:48 AM
My muffler seems to keep blowing off of the machine during a carving, now I dont really use it. Other than noise (I wear ear plug in the shop) any thing wrong with that

Louie

ChrisAlb
04-14-2008, 10:03 AM
It's funny to even call that bag a muffler...lol

Since I work in the basement and mama keeps her Harley in there, you can BET dust is an issue. Of course, noise is as well.

My solution? Bag the muffler. My shop Vac hose runs right into the vac. I don't run the vac while carving. The cut motor blows plenty of air. This keeps dust from blowing around, keeps the dust contained within the vacs filter and cuts the noise in HALF.

DrBob
04-14-2008, 03:13 PM
Hay Chris I can see were you hade your coffee cup on the table beside the CW LOL!!
Must be a shadow! could'nt be dust right LOL!!!

ChrisAlb
04-14-2008, 03:19 PM
Yep! But that dust is from brushing off my projects with a clean paint brush. Even the shop vac doesn't get all of it off the board.

Shhhhhhh....don't tell my wife!