PDA

View Full Version : Can Anyone tell me if this will carve right?

Oliver Lande
03-30-2008, 07:48 AM
The bit depth is greater than the depth of the wood by a small amount. I have had my machine for about a year. Have used it infrequently in the winter months (I don't heat my shop), but want to get started again. Any help is greatly appreciated.

hotpop
03-30-2008, 09:46 AM
Oliver,

I think it will carve all right. You might change your Bit Optimization to Best.

Make sure your shop is up to 60 degrees a couple of hours before you start carving.

Lin
03-30-2008, 09:58 AM
I may not know what I'm talking aobut here...but the board is only .5 and your depth setting for the carve is .516. That is not a cut path therefore the piece will break free during the carving and potentially cause damage to the bit and the machine itself. I think you should rethink the set up on this and not go deeper than the wood and possibly use cut paths so you have tabs holding the frames in place at the end of the carve.
Lin

hotpop
03-30-2008, 11:03 PM
Lin,

I checked the patterns and they will only outline to a rectangle. That why I didn't recommend the cut path. The pattern looks like some of the edges are still attached to the surrounding wood so I think it will work.

Oliver,

You can attach your board to a second board, the same size, with a couple pieces of double back tape running lengthwise. That way everything will stay in place.

jlitz
03-31-2008, 02:09 AM
A few manual tabs will solve the break away issue.

As for using a cut path, with a little work it's possible. However, when compiling the project for the memory card Designer will complain about wide cuts, cuts too close to the top and far left edge, etc.

Oliver Lande
03-31-2008, 05:44 AM
Thanks to all for the suggestions - I think I'll try it a couple of different ways. I had wanted to cut it from some half inch cedar that I had, but I think I'd better go back to 3/4" material. The relief I had carved in the back of the 1/2" didn't give me enough room for glass and picture and a backer. But then again I may cut it this way and bond it to a piece of 1/4" after. Lots of options.

Again - Thanks to all for setting my mental gears to working.