PDA

View Full Version : Machine First Aid Kit

LittleRedWoodshop
03-29-2008, 10:10 PM
What Would You Add To A FIRST AID KIT For Your Machine.

All Feedback is very appreciated.

hotpop
03-29-2008, 11:47 PM
Jason,

Machine First aid parts - I assume you mean machine spare parts.

You have been on the forum a couple of months now and you have two machines. If you don't have a list put together by now then shame on you.

swhitney
03-30-2008, 07:35 AM
I also have two machines, but my Must Have list includes a sensor and pair of traction belts, as well as bit adapters and extra cutting & carving bits

I also like to have a spare quick chuck with rjustices fantastic tools.

anybody think of anything else?

Digitalwoodshop
03-30-2008, 07:41 AM
My First Aid Kit...

A the lubrication stuff..... Molly....

Blue Thread Lock

QC

Tools for QC

Extra bit holders, they do wear out.... "BB marks" a sure sign.

Extra Sand Paper Belts

X drive plastic Gears

Board Detector

Cut Motor Brushes

Anyone else?.....

newcarver
03-30-2008, 08:20 AM
I have had several zmotors go out as well as 3 cut motors, I would ad 1 of each to the list. Another addition could be a memory card and/or reader, without that, the machine is a $1800 paperweight

twinpeaksenterprises, LLC
03-30-2008, 09:11 AM
I kinda like Hotpop's answer.

LittleRedWoodshop
03-30-2008, 01:12 PM
This was meant to be a place that WE could post info for the new-comers. So no the info from POP is not the right answer.

twinpeaksenterprises, LLC
03-30-2008, 06:13 PM
Your right Woodshop. Great post, great information... Okay well a couple of things i like to keep handy to keep things up and running are:
1. White Lithium Grease
2. Liquid wrench with moly / Liquid wrench with cerflon
3. Extra Board Sensor (so i can insert one while cleaning the other)
4. Extra Flexshaft (same reason, keep one ready while the other is lubing)
5. As needed any part that looks like it is getting wear.
I know im missing a thousand things. I have found cleanliness leads to longetivity so im a big fan of a downdraft system.

hotpop
03-30-2008, 06:42 PM
Jason,

I guess I didn't realize your intent when you started this thread. Please except my apology.

Meanwhile I put together a little "Maintenance and Repair List"

This is an attempt list all the extra parts, tools and accessories you should have on hand to run and/or maintain your CompuCarve/CarveWright machine.

The list is broken into two sections, “Weekend Warrior” and “Everyday User”
* Indicates a must have item. ^ Indicates a nice to have item. Sources are shown in brackets [ ]. No Sources are given for common hardware store items.

Weekend Warrior

* #1 and #2 Phillips Screwdriver
* Locktite - Blue (prevents screws form loosening)
* Gunk – Liquid Wrench Chain Lubricant w/ moly
* Vacuum (Portable Shop VAC)
^ Compressed air
* Dry Lube
^ 3 in 1 oil
^ 10mm socket (to reset corner posts)
^ 1/16” carving bit [1,2]
^ 1/8” cutting bit [1,2]
^ Quick Change Chuck [1,2]
^ Chuck removal tools [1,3]
^ Heat gun (chuck removal)
^ Solvent (to remove oils from parts being joined with Locktite)
^ V60 and V90 bits (for Centerline text) [1]
^ Full bit assortment [1,2]
^ Inferred thermometer (checking flexshaft temperature) [3]
* parts_list_manual.pdf [1]
* troubleshooting_guide.pdf [1]

Everyday User (everything above)
^ Memory Card [1,2]
^ Flex shaft assembly [1]
^ Sandpaper Belts [1]
^ Cut motor [1]
^ Board Sensor
* Cut motor brushes [1]
* 7/16” O-ring
^ Thin 12mm open end wrench (for adjusting cam rollers)

Editors note: Some forum members recommend stocking cut motors, power supplies gears, drive motors, etc. It is my opinion that if you need to stock these items and your machine is going to be used, on a daily bases, you should have a second machine in the shop. One machine can be kept running if you have a break down.

Sources
[1] LHR Technologies, Inc. or authorized retailer
[2] Sears
[3] Ron Justice --> cw_parts@yahoo.com for a complete list of parts and accessories.

Kenm810
03-30-2008, 06:49 PM
Has anyone mentioned or added a 3/8" straight Bit to their Kit
for Calibrating the machine. I suspect some folks still don't have one,
Even though it seems to be a must.

oldjoe
03-30-2008, 06:54 PM
Don't forget a set of allen wrenches

Dhaffner
03-30-2008, 07:06 PM
As a "newbie" I can tell you this list is priceless. I've been doing research and putting one together from various posts, but it really helps to have this all in one spot. I think it wouldn't hurt for this to be a "sticky".

Thanks to you all, I'm putting together a list of extra parts to order, just one more way I can remain up and running instead of posting "ARgh!!!!" like some.

Oh, I saw on a list somewhere "Bicycle chain wax"...anybody have a clue what this is used for?

Also, does CW have any plans to put some of the parts up on their online store? I know I can call in and order ( I will) but it'd sure be nice to just get online and place an order. I see they have the traction belts...but none of the sensors, brushes, etc.

Again, thanks everybody. Great Idea Jason.

Kenm810
03-30-2008, 07:19 PM
The "Bicycle chain wax" works wonders for the Machines Bit Touch Plate and the Truck Rails, some Folks use it because
it doesn't attract dust and helps provent rust, it lasts a week or more depending on how often you carve.

fwharris
03-30-2008, 08:00 PM
Good inspection light and mirror
Tool for cleaning out saw dust from quick change chuck
Ear protection
Eye protection
Emery cloth for removing small burrs on bit plate end

LittleRedWoodshop
03-30-2008, 08:11 PM
Sorry if I sounded grumpy earlier, This is an important thread for people like Doug that are waiting for his machine to come and are trying to put together a list of things for maintainence and upkeep

pkunk
03-30-2008, 08:14 PM
The "Bicycle chain wax" works wonders for the Machines Bit Touch Plate and the Truck Rails, some Folks use it because
it doesn't attract dust and helps provent rust, it lasts a week or more depending on how often you carve.
For which uses the dry spray lube is an excellent first choice.:D

Proctorw
10-14-2013, 10:15 AM
I have to order an new sensor today and will be ordering a second. I searched the forum and found this to be a pretty complete list for "Carvewright First Aid Kit". A little outdated but I like the list. I also have a "C" machine so not sure if anything should be added to the list. I wouldn't have thought about the "O" ring.

zan29
10-14-2013, 11:43 AM
Speaking of must have "things" is there a substitute for the flexshaft lubricant........?

fwharris
10-14-2013, 11:45 AM
Speaking of must have "things" is there a substitute for the flexshaft lubricant........?

This is what I have been using since 2009 http://www.summitracing.com/parts/crn-99002-1

zan29
10-14-2013, 07:45 PM
Tx Fwharris!