PDA

View Full Version : BITS-Having to load each bit BEFORE project starts

peter_l
03-29-2008, 05:43 PM
Hi All,

When I am starting a project, the CW makes me load each of the bits it will be using before it starts to carve.

THis can take 5-10 minutes between loading the bit, having the CW home, find surface, etc.

The screen makes me select the carving bit (i.e. 1/16) load that bit, it goes through the normal process, then asks me to select the centerline bit (i.e. 90*) and does the same thing. Then make sme reload the 1/16" carving bit and starts the project.

Does this happen to everyone or just me :-)

Thanks

Pete

fwharris
03-29-2008, 05:58 PM
Hi All,

When I am starting a project, the CW makes me load each of the bits it will be using before it starts to carve.

THis can take 5-10 minutes between loading the bit, having the CW home, find surface, etc.

The screen makes me select the carving bit (i.e. 1/16) load that bit, it goes through the normal process, then asks me to select the centerline bit (i.e. 90*) and does the same thing. Then make sme reload the 1/16" carving bit and starts the project.

Thanks

Pete

Pete,

That is the normal checks the maching goes through when a project calls for more than one bit. It usually starts with the last bit being used and goes to the first one. The last one you put in before the carving starts should be the first bit used to carve. I am not sure if it is a check to insure you have all of the bits needed for the carving before the carving starts.

chips
03-29-2008, 05:59 PM
That is a totaly normal routine

Kenm810
03-29-2008, 06:08 PM
yep, You got it

It helps prevent you from getting to the middle of a project
only to find that your missing one or more of the needed bit to finish the carving or text.
It can stop you from turning a fine piece of wood into a half completed piece of scrap. http://www.carvewright.com/forum/images/icons/icon9.gif

aparks
03-29-2008, 06:25 PM
Just today I was telling my wife about this very thing and wondering what was wrong or how I could change it.

Now comes the answer. Is this a great forum or what?

Thanks,
Allen

SandBuoy
03-29-2008, 06:45 PM
Just a thought, but do you think the machine is measuring and storing the height of each bit thats going to be used. I am sure that all bits are exactly set at the same height. The machine does go threw a bit height measuring process where it touches the top of the material before it starts to carve to get the measurement where to start cutting.

Kenm810
03-29-2008, 07:04 PM
As old Dr. Spock, would say,
That sounds very logical, once it measures each bit and begins to go through the carving order,
the machine would have to remember the size of each bit to prevent it from ruining a project
if the operator loaded a bit other than the one the machine requested. Or can it?

mtylerfl
03-29-2008, 07:18 PM
Hi All,

Thanks

Pete

Yes, that is normal, of course. Just wait until you do a double side carving someday. That'll really confuse you! ;) (Just do what the machine tells you for the bit changes and you'll be fine - trust the machine.)

This might also be helpful...I wrote an article about how to make corbels (the Feb. 2008 Tips & Tricks). On page 4 of the article, I spell out the routine steps the machine goes through for bit requests, etc. This is fairly typical of all "one-side-of-board" projects, and may help clarify the routine for you since it is presented in a bulleted list format.

Here is the link to the article: http://www.carvebuddy.com/PDFs/CW_TipsandTricks_Newsletters/CarveWrightTips&Tricks_Feb08.pdf

bjbethke
03-29-2008, 07:24 PM
This routine is needed to set up the controller board memory.

It takes the information from your MPC that you uploaded to your memory card, and sets up the carving routine. You will note, that this is the time it sets up the controller board memory if you use a “Cut Path” on your MPC.

Once all the memory is set up it will complete the carve and ask for the bits when needed. If you use the 3/8 inch bit make sure you do not skip the bit loading routine. I tried to cut the routine short one time, and left the 90 degree V bit in …. What a mess!!!

bizbiki
03-29-2008, 07:29 PM
Pete,

this happens to everyone