PDA

View Full Version : Help Scanner for First Time

gtj44
03-29-2008, 05:08 PM
I received the missing link (adapter cable) and tried the scanner today.
When powering up the CC, I get the scanner screen and have set all the parameters to the directions, set to cover, not Z pack etc. Jog to first corner, hit enter, Z truck makes a very slight movement down and that's it. Does not go down to touch the sled. I've turned off the CC several times and started over and still no go. I tried to determine the open/closed menu by moving the scanner probe to see if the closed state will switch to open per the manual page 8, nothing. I'm running a carve now just to make sure the CC is functioning properly and seems to be carving ok. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Using version 1.126

TerryT
03-29-2008, 07:01 PM
Not sure but I think temperature may have something to do with that. When that happens hit the enter button twice in a row and it should work.

mtylerfl
03-29-2008, 07:06 PM
Hello gtj44,

Sounds like a possible contact problem inside the probe, since it won't toggle between closed/open.

If you feel comfortable with this, unscrew the three screws, and carefully open the probe cover. See if any of the copper contact bars have loosened from the plastic or are out of alignment. Maybe you can re-attach or re-align if you see that's the problem.

Otherwise, you may need to contact hardware Tech Support.

EDIT: Forgot about the temperature issue - it was in the high 70's today here in Brunswick, GA - so I am somewhat sheltered from that! Yes, low temperature could be a factor, although if it's too cold, even hitting the ENTER button twice won't do the trick.

gtj44
03-29-2008, 10:46 PM
Thanks for the ideas. Temperature not a problem, even though it's 17 tonight (Buffalo) I've got the CC in the basement, nice and toasty.

After I ran the carving, I tried it again and it worked! I got about 20 % through the scan and the object broke free from the sled, hotmelt glue didn't stay stuck.
The probe puts more force on the object than I thought. I'll give it another try tomorrow, hopefully all will be ok. Thanks again.

jackssib1
03-30-2008, 06:59 AM
Can the probe be run with out the board sensor working???
My board sensor is shot, and gonna order one Mom. Thought I may scan some while I wait for sensor to come in.
1st time to scan.
thx.
Jack

mtylerfl
03-30-2008, 07:08 AM
Can the probe be run with out the board sensor working???
My board sensor is shot, and gonna order one Mom. Thought I may scan some while I wait for sensor to come in.
1st time to scan.
thx.
Jack

Yes, the probe will still work.

gtj44
03-30-2008, 10:40 AM
Retried scanner this morning and everything worked. Sometimes when pushing enter key to proceed to next step, I had to push twice to get the truck moving. I don't know if that's the nature of the beast or if I have a problem.

I posted the results. It's of a 40 year old belt buckle, hence the title Chief Buckle.

eromran
03-30-2008, 11:13 AM
Retried scanner this morning and everything worked. Sometimes when pushing enter key to proceed to next step, I had to push twice to get the truck moving. I don't know if that's the nature of the beast or if I have a problem.

I posted the results. It's of a 40 year old belt buckle, hence the title Chief Buckle.

Was wondering if you could post a picture of buckle you scanned so we could get an idea of the detail the probe is picking up (I just got a probe myself and the detail is horrible ) i do know its probably something I'm doing wrong and not the probe. Did you have to enhance the scan much? Or if someone else could show the kind of detail we should expect. THANKS

gtj44
03-30-2008, 12:26 PM
I may not have had the detail set to "Best" on the Indian buckle. I just tried another buckle of Busch Beer Mountains set at best and I think it is better than the first. I may try the Indian head again and make sure the setting is at best.
But so far, I'm satisfied for the first few tries

jackssib1
03-30-2008, 01:35 PM
It wirked great and here is some, as soon as i learn how to uploadem,,lol thx for help.
Jack

eromran
03-30-2008, 02:46 PM
I may not have had the detail set to "Best" on the Indian buckle. I just tried another buckle of Busch Beer Mountains set at best and I think it is better than the first. I may try the Indian head again and make sure the setting is at best.
But so far, I'm satisfied for the first few tries

I think the detail on your scans are coming out much better than mine did. Are you having to clean them up after the scan? is the one i did and it just seems to be lacking the detail.

gtj44
03-30-2008, 02:52 PM
The two scans of the belt buckle are straight from scanner and saved, no adjustments. I'm not sure what if any of the software would help improve the scans.
I'm to new at this to advise on the fine points of the software.

Jackssib1: Great looking scan and carve.

TIMCOSBY
03-31-2008, 11:41 PM
has a lot to do with it. if you scan something small and try to enlarge it a bunch it may not be good enough. but the 4" carve of a 4" scan item should look almost identical. now saying that the type of wood has a lot to do with it too. dense wood should produce nicer carves.

mtylerfl
04-01-2008, 10:21 AM
...also, don't forget to assign "Bit Optimization: Bit Optimization: BEST" to the pattern as well as choosing the "BEST" setting when uploading the project to the memory card - otherwise the detail may/will suffer in the finished project.

jackssib1
04-01-2008, 11:35 AM
not carving yet,,waiting for board sensor. new scan and project.
jack

TIMCOSBY
04-02-2008, 02:08 AM
but this is how i like it.11020 just cut the bottom section with the name off with a chopsaw. maybe roundover the edges on the lid with a router.

fiddle around with the editor some too. the hole in the rose petal can be fixed. use the eyedropper to pick a place right beside the hole then use the paint brush to paint the hole. its so little you may not have to use the blur tool on it after painting.

jackssib1
04-02-2008, 06:13 PM
:D I'm still gonna work on it more, but thats great info. thanks again.
I'm just learning the cleanup and such.
Yall are great help, here.
Jack