PDA

View Full Version : Nameplates on the CW

Lin
03-29-2008, 01:12 PM
I have been doing scrolled desk nameplates for several years and wanted to try them out on the CW. I cut a deal with someone that wanted a scrolled one to carved him one 1/2 my normal charge to advertise for me and I made two fairly simple ones for x-mas gifts for my two immedidate bosses.
They were needless to say my bosses were..."impressed". Brownie points for me...lol

Since x-mas I have gotten three orders for these nameplates carved from plain pine and stained. Here are pics of the two I have completed. The "Wizard" one is two sided and the wizard itself is the hair salons logo that I made a pattern from her business card. I wanted to do the lettering on the piece in gold but the customer wanted only the wizard painted...A very big thank-you to Kelly and Ed for helping me out with the sissor and comb patterns for this piece...they are both real sweethearts.
The "Shirley" nameplate is just one sided and very basic. Just a simple "Kitty" pattern and basic raster lettering gone over with a leafing pen just proir to the last coat of lacquer.
So far I have been using only red chestnut stain on these nameplates....looks somewhat like cherry to the folks and they seem to like it. The bases were also carved on the CW.
The nameplates are about 14" long and the Wizard is 5" tall and Shirley is 4" tall without the base. Just another way of getting the personal touch with the CW.
Lin

mtylerfl
03-29-2008, 01:45 PM
Beautiful work, Lin!

chips
03-29-2008, 03:25 PM
Those look Awesome Lin.....good work !!!

peter_l
03-29-2008, 05:25 PM
These look great. If you do not mind me asking, what are you charging for name plates like these?

I have been making some similiar (not quite as nice) for gifts, and now more people want me to make them and charge. Have no idea where to start for cost, other than the cost of the wood.

Thanks

Pete

Lin
03-29-2008, 06:07 PM
Peter, I have been charging $40.00 ($35.00 each if they order two or more) for the simple one sided nameplates and I'm only carving as deep as .250 at the deepest point on them. The carving takes about 40 minutes to carve the nameplate and the base. The two-sided one I charged $50.00 for and might should've went a bit higher on it....it was kinda a pain in the butt to do and I probably won't do many more that are two sided. But being my first two sided carving I was tickled that it came out ok.
Pm me if you have more questions on how I did these...I do use my scrollsaw to do most of my cutouts. No sense in using the Cw when I can do it quicker on the scrollsaw.
Lin

LittleRedWoodshop
03-29-2008, 09:39 PM
those are great, well done, keep up the good work

SawdustSteve
03-30-2008, 08:57 AM
Lin,

I like your idea! I hope you don't mind if I borrow part of it.

I was making scroll saw name signs at work for several years before I purchased my CarveWright. Since then, I have been carving them! They seem to go over fairly well.

I use wood floor scraps (mostly oak and maple) and place them on a jig for carving. The attached pictures are not the best, but they represent the basic concept.

Steve

Lin
03-30-2008, 09:50 AM
Steve, Wow...I like what you are doing as far as how you are setting up your nameplates. I figure they take longer to carve than the ones I'm doing but I like the duel lettering...I may just have to borrow a bit of what you are up to also..hoping you also don't mind. Thanks for the new concept.
Lin

DocWheeler
03-30-2008, 10:10 AM
Lin and Steve,

Thanks for sharing, I had started creating a nameplate for my wife when my spindle bearings went out - now I will attempt again with your ideas!

RayTrek
03-30-2008, 11:15 AM
Lin and Steve
Those are great designs thanks for sharing your excellent knowledge and craftsmanship with us. Lin I always look forward to seeing your projects
Thanks for the learning carve.
Ray

SawdustSteve
03-30-2008, 02:30 PM
Lin,

That is the beauty of this site... and this group of craftsmen. Each post I read gives me new insight into how to improve on my own projects and ideas.

I haven't posted many of my own... I will more in the future.

- Steve

BTW - I love the scroll work on your website! That's some pretty nice stuff!

TechTeach
01-13-2010, 12:14 PM
I am trying to give my students the opportunity to make a nice template with little success.

How do you clean the rest of the nameplate so nicely?

My nameplates using the raster setting only clear a small area around the lettering.

I am gong to try your specs for a name. I will try your specs for the posted project to.

Lin,

I like your idea! I hope you don't mind if I borrow part of it.

I was making scroll saw name signs at work for several years before I purchased my CarveWright. Since then, I have been carving them! They seem to go over fairly well.

I use wood floor scraps (mostly oak and maple) and place them on a jig for carving. The attached pictures are not the best, but they represent the basic concept.

Steve

cnsranch
01-13-2010, 12:21 PM
TechTeach

Glad to have you a part of our group - you'll learn a ton of stuff here (almost as much as in school:mrgreen:)

Open Steve's MPC and take a look at how he designed his project. Basically, he created a rectangular carve region that was set to a specific depth, and then placed the text within the carve region - that's a pretty basic technique, but gives you the look you want - otherwise, when you place raster text on a board, the machine will only carve out what's necessary to form the letters.

BTW, make sure to pay attention to the date shown in the corner of any given post - the one you've replied to is a couple of years old, and may result in Steve not getting right back to you.