PDA

View Full Version : Normal Flex Shaft Temperature/When To Lube

RudeDog
03-29-2008, 12:28 PM
I've got about 10 hours on my machine now, and am doing a 'real' project today. I've just finished the first two parts with the 1/16 carving bit, in oak. After about 2 hours, the flex shaft temp is averaging around 85 degrees F, peaking at 95 F at one 'hot' spot where it is attached. I've never seen it run this hot before. The question is when do I stop and lube the flex shaft? Is this still a safe operating range?

Thanks
Rick

Ken Massingale
03-29-2008, 01:17 PM
Mine varies with the shop temperature, which makes sense to me. Usually it is in the mid 90's, if it gets to 105 I turn on a small fan nearby to circulate the air and it goes back down to the 90's.
HTH
k

Kenm810
03-29-2008, 02:00 PM
I have nearly 200 hour on my machine, and lube the flex-shaft ever 20 to 40 hours of cut motor time. I’ve never had a hot spot on the Shaft or a temperature above the low 90s. I closely monitor the Flex-Shaft, Truck Bearings, Carving Head, Bits and Adapters, plus any other moving parts in the Machine with an Inferred Thermometer. I believe each machine has its own operating temperature characteristics, so some just naturally run a little cooler or warmer the others. Like many other folks, I judge the basic temperature by a common sense role of thumb, if the Flex-Shaft feels just warm to the touch, its fine. But if it feels hot in any spot or uncomfortably hot to the touch in general, then it may well be time to clean and lubricate it. ---- Just My Way.

RudeDog
03-29-2008, 02:38 PM
I couldn't get through my first real project. Boo! Now I'm continuously getting "Power Flucuation Press Enter to Continue". At least I limped through and didn't ruin my piece. I've contacted technical support and am waiting to hear back. It was fun while it lasted.

Rick

Digitalwoodshop
03-29-2008, 09:00 PM
Where in PA? I am near NY/NJ/PA.

Sounds like a power supply L2 coil problem....

AL

LittleRedWoodshop
03-29-2008, 09:53 PM
My machine was doing that and I was told to check all of my plug-ins. when I took the bottom cover off of the machine, one of the plug-ins had worked its way loose. So start there.

Just sharing what I found out.

RudeDog
03-30-2008, 12:32 AM
Where in PA? I am near NY/NJ/PA.

Sounds like a power supply L2 coil problem....

AL

Hey AL, I'm right outside of Scranton PA. Glad to meet you.

CarveWright technical support said I would have to send the power supply back and swap it for another one, without really asking any questions. Thanks for the info AL, very informative and reassuring that I didn't do anything wrong.

I give it a good visual inspection before sending it back. I'm tempted to try to fix it myself.

Rick

RudeDog
03-30-2008, 11:22 AM
All of the connectors were on tight.

My L2 Coil has two lumps of glue on either side of the center connection and it seems very solid. I can't see a break. Both pad and wire seem solid.

Al, is it the wire itself that breaks or the solder connection?

Rick