PDA

View Full Version : crap

porkysbbq
03-28-2008, 02:36 PM
second project belt rips bought from amazon sending the 1700 dollar pile of junk back

Jeff_Birt
03-28-2008, 02:48 PM
I'm sorry your having problems. Most of the time the belt rips from a defect in the wood or by the wood getting wedged int the machine. Sounds like you need to spend a bit more time reading the users manual.

ChrisAlb
03-28-2008, 02:50 PM
second project belt rips bought from amazon sending the 1700 dollar pile of junk back

Hi porkysbbq,

Sorry to hear you're having troubles. What type of project are you doing?

If I've misunderstood forgive me but, If it's your second project, and you just tore "replacement" belts, perhaps there's a problem with the project or approach.

I'd hate to see you give up on the CW. Could you post your MPC so we can have a look? I'm sure one of us will be able to help if possible.

Chris

porkysbbq
03-28-2008, 03:13 PM
I have a compucarve from sears for over a year had problems with that machine bought second machine from amazon a carvewright machine.
second project on second machine was a piece of mdf that I was putting flutes in board smooth as a baby's ars don't understand why belt ripped love what machine can do when it is not broken just frustrated not sending machine back just ordered 2 sets of belts.

Jeff_Birt
03-28-2008, 03:20 PM
I can understand being frustrated ;),

As I mentioned most of the time belt problems are caused by a knot or something in the wood (no problem in that area with MDF), or by the wood getting wedged in the machine. The sides of the wood must be parallel and the sliding guide plate should not actually touch the wood. I always adjust the sliding plate and then slide the wood side to side to make sure it does not bind.

Since you just got the machine shipped via Amazon, I would also suggest checking to see how level the head is. using a small ruler, measure down from the flat spots on the four vertical guide posts to the head. It should be equal all around. If the head is not level it can cause a belt to walk to one side and rip. It seems like there have been several reports of machines getting banged around in shipment over the last month or so.

mtylerfl
03-28-2008, 03:22 PM
Hello,

Another possible cause of ripped belts is not adding the additional 7" to the project board so that the project is under BOTH rollers at ALL times. (This is a MUST.) Proper setup procedures can be found by reading this: http://www.carvebuddy.com/PDFs/CW_TipsandTricks_Newsletters/CarveWrightTips&Tricks_Dec07.pdf

For example, if your layout board in Designer measures 20" long, the REAL board you place in the machine must be 27" long.

Another cause of ripped belts is trying to use material less than 1/2" thick without the use of a special carrier board or sled.

Another cause is that the sliding plate is too tight against the wood, causing binding, and ripped belts.

Yet another cause is that the outfeed tables are "bumping" the board if not they adjusted correctly. Boards under 3 feet long don't normally require the outfeed tables, so you can just lower the outfeed tables out of the way if you wish, for projects under 3 ft.

Ripped belts can usually be traced back to pilot error of one kind or another.

Do any of these conditions apply to your situation?

porkysbbq
03-28-2008, 04:16 PM
the board I was working with was 96 inches long and 11 inches wide I had two portable roller supports on each side of the machine that is 2 per side I may have had the guides to tight
can anyone tell me how to divide a circle into equal segments in carvewright software
like cutting up a pizza I nee 16 equal lines around the circle I am trying to recreate a rosette that I made on a Legacy ornamental mill

Router-Jim
03-28-2008, 05:56 PM
the board I was working with was 96 inches long and 11 inches wide I had two portable roller supports on each side of the machine that is 2 per side I may have had the guides to tight
can anyone tell me how to divide a circle into equal segments in carvewright software
like cutting up a pizza I nee 16 equal lines around the circle I am trying to recreate a rosette that I made on a Legacy ornamental mill

Here's one way:

Draw a circle and center it both ways. Then use the connected line tool and draw from the outside edge of the circle to the center and angle back to the outside. (A "V" shape) lock in the center at 0.0 and set the angle at 22.5º (360º /16) Now mirror the angle all ways and repeat.

Here's a rough mpc that you can disect to see how I did it.

Good luck,

Jim

RayB
03-28-2008, 06:06 PM
like cutting up a pizza I nee 16 equal lines around the circle I am trying to recreate a rosette that I made on a Legacy ornamental millJust draw a circle of the correct diameter. Then use the Line Segment tool to draw a diameter.

Copy that segment, and then Paste. Select the segment and after right-clicking, select Orientation > Set Angle, and type 22.5 for the degree of that second segment (see attachment). If you originally centered the circle at the center of the board, you can easily move this segment into position by right-clicking and then choosing Center > Center Both.

Repeat the process in the last paragraph, just adding 22.5 onto each angle measure, and you will soon have your pizza.
;)

Rats ... I was a few minutes too late.

Digitalwoodshop
03-28-2008, 06:50 PM
What were you doing for dust collection. Was the sawdust building up in front of the roller like snow in your PA driveway preventing your car from moving? The jammed sawdust will break a belt jamming the board.

AL

mtylerfl
03-28-2008, 09:07 PM

OK, binding was caused either by the slide plate being too tight or the support roller adjustment was off, or a combination of both.

Another remote possibility is the weight of the board. While there is "no" limit to the length of a board, there is a weight limit of 20 pounds.

In any case, the ripped belt was not a direct fault of the machine itself.

Hopefully, you can still "rescue" your project.

Digitalwoodshop
03-28-2008, 09:37 PM
I agree that a 96 inch piece of MDF is pretty heavy. Plus the length can cause the alignment with the left guide to get out of wack causing the board to head toward the right guide and jam. The alignment along the left guide is so important, just being off a little is like having your wheels on your car turned away from the curb.

If the board gets out of alignment then it causes pressure on the side guides. You might get a X overload as I did one time. I hit enter and then the X Gear broke because the board was not aligned properly and was jammed. My fault.

If you plan to do much in 96 inches I would order the X gears now and have them on hand.

When installing the X Motor back remember to do the gear and motor at the same time. Just doing one or the other and it won't fit..... Mesh both at the same time.

AL

porkysbbq
03-29-2008, 02:09 PM
why it was routing out the flutes I war blowing the mdf dust off the ends as the board was gone back and forth it was not really producing much dust so I left the room for a minute and of course that is when it decided to get stuck the board was 8 ft. long and the flutes were centered at 75 inches so there was 7 inches on each end I had two portable roller supports on each side of the machine that is 2 per side there was only 3 flutes

Thanks for every one's impute and the info on the circle that will help a lot

ps cooled off and finished project today even with a ripped belt; gave guides a little breathing room stayed at machine and held board up on the ends to help with weight
came out perfect and wife happy

mtylerfl
03-29-2008, 03:50 PM
Hello,

VERY happy to hear that you were able to finish the project! Good going!

Digitalwoodshop
03-29-2008, 08:37 PM
Remember as you change the belts look where that dust you are blowing around is going. I remember reading way back someone had sawdust impacted inside the sand paper belt area causing a rip. MDF dust is bad with all the glue...

Downdraft table is a good investment.

AL

LittleRedWoodshop
03-29-2008, 10:01 PM
is one of the best things that I Have done for my machines wouldn't be without it now.