PDA

View Full Version : Evaluation of Compucarve Machine...

Bill_L
03-28-2008, 12:55 PM
Is there anyone in the "neighborhood" of Long Island, N.Y. that is using this machine? I would like to contact someone for insights as to its capabilities.

We would like to use this machine to create shadowbox pockets for tooling in our production area. The material we may use will be a dense foam or plastic.

We are located in Greenlawn.

Tried to talk to Sears and they just broke the only one in Suffolk County when they opened it up!

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Sincerely...Bill_L

optionman
03-28-2008, 01:17 PM
i'm in north jersey 20 min from tunnel, but my machine is down awaiting replacement part. be happy to show it to you when it's working, hopefully next week.

Reset
03-28-2008, 02:03 PM
I'm on Long Island :D

But right now, my machine is in Texas :(

Tommy

Bill_L
03-28-2008, 02:46 PM
What do you think of cutting out shadow box pockets from dense foam or plastic? We keep getting vendors who'll use water jets and lasers to gut out the pockets for holding our various tools for the operators(at their bench) on the production floor...High tech and high priced and very much more expensive(turn aroudn time is terrible) when you make a change.

This machine looked like it was a simple/elegant way of doing the same thing and quick to respond to changing the tools...

I like the use of an image to outline the cut...a new tool, a new scan & a new outline for a shadowbox! I may be naïve, but this machine sounds like it's got potential...;)

Any thoughts?

ttfn...Bill

Bill_L
03-30-2008, 09:54 AM
Please let me know your status on your machine.

My work e-mail is:

bill.lembeck@baesystems.com

ttfn...Bill

Digitalwoodshop
03-30-2008, 10:12 AM
I used a 1/2 inch bit and made small boxes each one slightly bigger for a test board. This would be an option for you, making cut out slots by using the overlap of the bit and setting the depth. Did this in Vector Mode.

The 1/16 inch carving bit would do it too but will take much longer is raster mode.

Good Luck,

AL