PDA

View Full Version : Bearings

castingman
03-28-2008, 10:18 AM
Is their any info about the truck spindle bearings, like a pdf & bearing no.s.
I think i need to change mine.

Thanks, Michael

hotpop
03-28-2008, 11:05 AM
Michael,

Top - NSK 6000 DU

LHR Lower Spindle Bearing numbers:
SKU # P008-00020
Product: Bearing, Deep Groove, 6000-2RS
Price: ?

If you see any cutter tip wiping the problem is probably not bearings. Some older machines have a bearing spacer around the upper and lower bearings. On my machine I was cutting thru a lot of red oak. My lower spacer ring had flattened out so bearing was wobbling.

I sent my truck to LHR and they replaced it. I'm not sure but I could not see any spacers in the replacment truck.

hotpop
03-28-2008, 11:08 AM
"Kenm810" photo of the lower spacer ring.

castingman
03-28-2008, 11:56 AM
Thanks hotpop,

The new flex shaft i ordered came the other day, The old one was twisted on the end that goes in the truck.
I will lube the new shaft sat, and install it sunday i hope !
Right now i have some electricans replaceing the main service pannel in the foundry, Thats going to take two days and i like to get in their way, makes me feel better about all the $$$$$ i'm spending !!

Thanks Michael

mtylerfl
03-28-2008, 03:43 PM
No need to "soak" it all day.

Spray on the molly liberally, let it set for a half hour, wipe off all the lube, hang it up (clip a clothspin on an end) to "drip-dry" for about another half hour.

Wipe off any remaining excess, and put it back into the sheath. You're good to go for another 20 to 50 hours before needing another lube treatment.

NOTE: If you leave any excess, it can find its way into the motor and cause damage.

(All the vacuum bagging techniques, plastic tubing containers, soaking for extended periods of time, etc. are completely and totally unneccessary.)

castingman
03-29-2008, 07:50 AM
Michael, Thanks, I'll do that right now! Still think I may need bearings
We'll see how it sounds today.

Thanks again Michael

mtylerfl
03-29-2008, 09:03 AM
Michael, Thanks, I'll do that right now! Still think I may need bearings
We'll see how it sounds today.

Thanks again Michael

I hope it goes well for you today!

By the way, I have heard of spindle bearings going bad because of excessive flex shaft lube getting into them - that's why it's important to make sure nothing is left to "drip".

castingman
03-29-2008, 09:25 AM
Michael T
Thanks again, Just took it apart some and cleaned it . Shaft is soaking, should be ok !

Thanks Michael

Jeff_Birt
03-29-2008, 09:33 AM
If the spindle bearing are going out, the spindle will get really hot, really fast. As mentioned, the bearings (usually only the top bearing), go bad if excess cable lube drips down into them. I found out the hard way. :confused:

Without your flex shaft installed in the Z-truck, spin the spindle by hand. Is it nice and smooth?

twinpeaksenterprises, LLC
03-29-2008, 09:51 AM
Hotpop, Was there alot or any buildup in the bearings or in that area? Just curious if an occasional cleaning would be in order? Is it a sealed bearing case? Sorry if those are newbie questions i just havnt gotten into that part of the machine yet. Any reccomended cut motor hours on starting to monitor the bearings getting hot. I would guess i could monitor it with my infared thermometer, what is too hot? Thanks

hotpop
03-29-2008, 10:01 AM
twinpeaks,

No build up. The bearings are sealed so there is nothing to clean.