PDA

View Full Version : Hard headed or stupid?

Vic
03-27-2008, 08:13 PM
Ok if there are really any die hard Carvewright promoters out there speak up. I got my first machine on 01/03/2008. Got 2 carvings then had problems with board sensor, then Ztrack, then head pressure. After working on it for a month with no more completed carvings took it back to Sears and got a new one. It was a dud from day one. Sent it to LHR. Got it back yesterday. Carved 2 projects great. On the third carving (same project as first 2) bit plate did not move out on bit change. When edge rout started broke quick change chuck because bit went too deep. I have been trying since 01/03 and have gotten 4 carvings (approximately 2 hrs each). Don’t get me wrong, when this thing works it is awesome. But how do I justify 3 months & $2,500 for machine, bits & patterns, $200 of #1 lumber for 3 small carvings. My common sense says take it back to Sears & forget it, but my woodworking spirit says don’t give up. Any comments or advise will be appreciated.

RanUtah
03-27-2008, 08:24 PM
I'm pretty much in the same boat that you are even though I have had my machine a little longer and have done a few more projects. However I'm having some issues of my own and will have to make another call to LHR tomorrow. I still believe in the machine and your right, when it works, it works.

TerryT
03-27-2008, 08:36 PM
The bit plate not coming out all the way is quite often caused by the z motor heatsink hitting the cut motor wires and not allowing the heat to go all the way back.

Remove the screws holding the top on. Make sure the top is loose enough to move. Run a project. If the cutting head goes over far enough to bring the bit plate out and the cover moves from the force of the head then move your cut motor wires so that the heat sink doesn't hit them. If the cover doesn't move or the bit plate still doesn't come all the way out then clean, lube and maybe smooth the contact points.

Jeff_Birt
03-27-2008, 09:42 PM
Got 2 carvings then had problems with board sensor, then Ztrack, then head pressure.

That all really sounds like symptoms of rough handling (in delivery) or perhaps a cold shop. Judging from some of your other posts Vic, knowing that you really did a lot of reading and research ahead of time, I am betting on rough handling. The vertical guide rails can get out of whack and/or the head can get a bit out of level and create all sorts of havoc. I would like to see a comprehensive set up guide to show folks how to check things out before firing up a new machine (most machine tool have something like that as there are ALWAYS things you need to check/clean/align before firing a new tool up). I think it would save a lot of heartache.

On the third carving (same project as first 2) bit plate did not move out on bit change.

The bit plate normally hangs up when its pivot is dirty (sawdust) or as others have said an obstruction keeping the Y-truck from coming all the way over. About once a month after cleaning my machine I apply one drop of bicycle chain wax to my index finger and wipe that on the contact area between the Y-truck and bit plate. This has pretty much taken care of any problems. (But I still make sure it hits it on every bit change).

Hang in there I'm sure CW will get you fixed up.