PDA

View Full Version : Scared to Buy!!

Steven Alford
03-26-2008, 09:58 PM
I want this machine and I have been doing some research and so far I am not impressed with it's "life cycle". It seems to be in the repair shop more than in the woodworkers shop. Do most find this to be true?
I have also heard that they are coming out with a new machine next year. Is there any truth to this rumor?
Any die hard users out there, talk me into buying this will you?

SandBuoy
03-26-2008, 11:10 PM
Hi Steve,

I just went threw the same thing about 3 weeks ago. Got mine from Sears with the 5 year extended warranty, couple hundred in accessories and some bits from another company. So with over $2K I expected the best from the machine and the worse from reveiwers. I also have the opportunity to take it back before 30/90 days so nothing was loss but some interest on my money and me trying it out. So Glad I did now.

Well right out of the box the worse happened. The head rachet won't work properly but these guys got me on the right track to fixing it within minutes of my post. Now let me tell you a few facts I have learned as a newbie both good and bad.

Bad first, the machine can have some problems and you might as well expect some down time in the future. Like some have pointed to me, this isn't a commercial machine to be run for 12/7. But it will handle quite work load if cared for right as so many have proven. Between this forum full of great people, LHR and you learning the machine most are easy fixes now days.

Good News, this machine is imcredible and only limited to your imagination for the most part. Some really magnificent projects have and are coming from this machine. You will be amazed at the ease of use once you do a few projects, read the forum posts and educate yourself.

Something else that has really helped alot more people keeping these machine running longer and better is a data base of knowledge. People are now able to basically repair most anything on these machine because of the long term users coming up with fixes and reasons for a problem.

I think most of what you read is from human error caused problems plain and simple. There are mechical problems with the machine that can go wrong just like any other hi tech peice of equiptment. But clean it after EACH use, keep it lubed, learn the machine, read old post for answers and you should be happy for a long time. Infact, I plan on purchasing a new from CW here in the next week. That has to tell you something.....and not that I am nuts !!!

Betty Woodall
03-26-2008, 11:34 PM
Hi Steve,
We bought our machine the first year they came out. We got it from Sears. I will tell you that we are still in the learning phase of operation but have been able to make some incredible designs and projects. We experienced a problem with the z track and had to call LHR. They were very helpful and responded right away. If you buy the machine READ THE MANUAL. I really does alot to prevent problems. Also there are many of us that have had very little problems or no problems at all so you don't hear from them.
It is a big investment but one that is really rewarding.
Can't talk you into it but if you do decide to buy you will have many folks out there to help problem solve with you. They are a very knowledgeable group of people.
Good luck..... BW

Digitalwoodshop
03-26-2008, 11:58 PM
Steven,

This is a very hands on machine with lots of tinkering and repairs. It is just the nature of the beast. It's not a Computer Printer for wood, it's a CNC machine with lots of dust and vibration. The better you take care of the machine the less problems you will have.

If you are willing to keep a positive attitude and read a bunch of posts about problems and fixes to learn what to expect, then you should be in good shape. Reading the manual helps too, so many first posts are answered in the manual.

Be prepared to replace the power Supply if required and other parts like the QC Chuck, Z Motor, Board Sensor, or the X Drive Gear. If you think all of this is too much trouble than stick to a hand held router or you will be sending the machine in often for a repair.

Shipping the machine is a risky adventure as many machines have been damaged in shipment to and from LHR.

It all comes down to Attitude and Ability to do the maintenance and repairs while you are having fun making interesting stuff. Are you up to the task of learning to operate and maintain the machine or just to complain about it?

This is my pitch to convince you to buy the machine like you asked but I provided both sides of the sales pitch.... This is your fancy new car... You need to be able to pump Gas and change tires if required and Repairs as required.

AL

rcdages
03-27-2008, 12:20 AM
I will tell you this.

The LHR/CW tearm is not just there to take your money and forget who you are, they are there for the growth of the machine and the owners.

Learn your software and read your manual and read this Forum.

Robert
rcdages

Steven Alford
03-27-2008, 05:11 PM
Thanks guys!!
Well, I think I will take the plunge and get out the old credit card!!
I am sure I will be back to ask a lot of questions, I just hope they are for knowledge ONLY!!

I ask the question again though, Is there any truth to the rumor that there is a new model coming out next year??

twinpeaksenterprises, LLC
03-27-2008, 06:07 PM
Only thing to be scared of which was my mistake is to jump in with both feet without absorbing all the knowledge on maintaining the machine and understanding the software and capabilities of the machine and just basically knowing what im doing. After several months i have a better understanding and confidence in making projects with the compucarve. It is an excellent machine and works really well. I am very happy with my purchase and am glad i did so. I dont know if theres a new machine coming out but it is my understanding that the machines have upgraded and improved parts compared to a few years ago. Well good luck with your machine and look forward to seeing you in the gallery soon:-)

sewpeck
03-27-2008, 06:10 PM
haven't done that much with my machine. As stated so many times on here. Learn your machine and the software and keep it maintained and I believe it will give you good service. I took the plunge and only time will tell if I screwed up. From what I've seen though I'm glad I too own a carvewright. If nothing else I've beaten my younger brother to this technology.:D

Steven Alford
03-28-2008, 10:01 PM
Well guys, I made the plunge. I just purchased my machine and Jason should be shipping it by Monday.
I have my fingers crossed that I don't get a lemon right out of the box!! Just kidding, I am going into this with great confidance that it will work and I will become an instant millionaire. Well, maybe!!

Does anyone have a pattern for a bonsai tree? I think that will be my first project.

Steve

AskBud
03-28-2008, 10:22 PM
Try this thread:
askBud
http://www.carvewright.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2353&highlight=bonsai