PDA

View Full Version : Alot of pessimism in here.

brenda123
03-26-2008, 08:12 PM
I dont understand or maybe im not supposed to but seeing some of the fine work how can there be soo many problems with the machine it makes me worry about considering a carvewright, i only want to make a few nice things on occasion for myself and friends but wow. Im just an average person not a nuclear scientist. Maybe im better off to purchase the carvings from someone and let them worry about all the problems.

hotpop
03-26-2008, 09:05 PM
Brenda,

I tell it like it is.

There is a learning curve for both the Designer software and the CW machine.

The CW is a pretty neat machine. You need to be computer savvy and have a good mechanical aptitude. You need to know what the machine will do and when it's going to do it. There is quite a bit of maintenance required before and after each carve (lubes, cleaning, calibrations). Because of the high speed cutting you need to be on the lookout for screws and plugs loosening. You will also need to make sleds to hold smaller pieces in place. Be prepared to hear the machine whine for hours at a time.

If nothing above scares you then you'll love the CW otherwise you will be unhappy and be throwing your money away.

fwharris
03-26-2008, 11:08 PM
:D:DHey hotpop,

Could'nt have said it better! And will say any more!

Brenda,

I tell it like it is.

There is a learning curve for both the Designer software and the CW machine.

The CW is a pretty neat machine. You need to be computer savvy and have a good mechanical aptitude. You need to know what the machine will do and when it's going to do it. There is quite a bit of maintenance required before and after each carve (lubes, cleaning, calibrations). Because of the high speed cutting you need to be on the lookout for screws and plugs loosening. You will also need to make sleds to hold smaller pieces in place. Be prepared to hear the machine whine for hours at a time.

If nothing above scares you then you'll love the CW otherwise you will be unhappy and be throwing your money away.

starman2
03-29-2008, 07:51 AM
I had the same concerns, but bought the machine anyway. Ive had a few minor issues but generally its a very well made and well thought out system. (Im a Quality Control / Production type with 20 years background in a major wood working industry, so I think I can make that statement). Thats not to say that the machine wont require attention and TLC. All machines, even the "industrial" kinds need that. So does your car. If you practice good maintenance regimens and take the time to learn the machine and the software, it is an EXTREMLY rewarding experience. By the way..... Support from CW aand the good folks on this forum is unsurpassed. Ive had my machine for a little over 3 months and every time I turn it on, I learn something new, and get 10 more ideas that I want to learn!! Thats what its all about. Dont listen to all the negatives, Ive found that they are a very unsilent minority.

Router-Jim
03-29-2008, 10:17 AM
Another point that needs to be made. We live in a "plug and play" society, that is nice when you buy a video game or a HDTV. This machine is different, you HAVE to read the manual to have success. You also need to possess a certain degree of patience. I can guarantee that your 50th carving will turn out better than your 1st. Why? Because you will be constantly learning and bettering your knowledge of design and machine use.

I love my machine, it's made me a better woodworker. :cool:

Jim

Digitalwoodshop
03-30-2008, 07:23 AM
Hotpop nailed it 100%..... This machine is not for everyone....

Reading and Learning is required.

Opening the box and letting "Your Intrinsic Knowledge" and "Ego" of Never in you life have you EVER HAD to read a Owners Manual and don't plan to start now..... Will not fly here.....

Then posting a negative post about the machine because the machine won't do what your "Intrinsic Knowledge" tells you it should do.....

The 3.5 / 7 inch rule of wood to stay under the rollers is a classic "I didn't read the manual"

"Darn machine scaled down my artwork..... Must be a BROKEN MACHINE.... I put in a 18 inch board into the machine..... and expected a 18 inch sign..... What.... The machine needs ROLLERS to move the WOOD..... MY Table Saw Didn't..... Must be JUNK..... I should post that.... Everyone SHOULD KNOW that this machine is JUNK.... I am Always RIGHT, Just ASK ME......

OR..... The Junk Machine, I cranked it all the way up and now it just CLICKS..... and won't go down..... Quick, I must post this..... The Machine is JUNK.... JUST ASK ME...... Yes this is my 2nd post..... The first one was Scaling of my project.....

Have we seen this stuff being posted..... YES...... Do we try to help them find their way and learn..... Do we suggest they use the "Search" function? Do we suggest they Open and read the manual? YES......

Hopefully some of the new guys will see this and learn. I didn't start on day one knowing what I know a year later. Did I read the manual and Forum.... YES.

Welcome and Good Luck,

We are all here to LEARN and have fun carving. No question is a bad question.

Knowing when to "SEARCH" and when to ASK is the key. Any problem you are having now has been written about here.

AL

Brenda, Ladies have just as much fun with the machine as the guys and you will see guys stepping all over themselves to help you if you have a question..... Me included.... Snicker....

Edit: Woke up on the wrong side of the CARVE Machine this morning and at 3:30 AM at that too..... Was I a "Little Crabby" this morning..... YES..... This was a Generalization and not pointed at anyone in particitular...... AL

newcarver
03-30-2008, 08:13 AM
Dont listen to all the negatives, Ive found that they are a very unsilent minority.

On the same note, you may not have simple user errors all the time, there may be breakdowns throughout this process of learning that have nothing to do with your inexpierience. Yes, the support is good and you may not need it. Just thinking you may wish to be prepared for problems you cant fix. I'm Not trying to be "negative" or a pessimist, just have to put the good with the potentialy bad to complete anyones view of this machine, I.ve had mine for over a year, and yes some of my issues have been my own doing, but not all.

aparks
03-30-2008, 10:18 AM
Speaking of learning, besides reading the manual, this forum, with all its topics, ideas and accumulated knowledge, is very good.

My thanks to all who contirbute (and maybe someday I'll be smart enough to kick in a thought or two.)

forqnc
03-31-2008, 08:32 AM
Woke up on the wrong side of the CARVE Machine this morning and at 3:30 AM at that too..... Was I a "Little Crabby" this morning..... YES..... This was a Generalization and not pointed at anyone in particitular...... AL

NIce Post AL
:D

oldjoe
03-31-2008, 11:36 AM
I am now in the process of letting my 11 year old daughter design and run a project she says she wants to learn woodworking hopefully I will be able to post a picture of what she designs won't be till next week lots of homework to do first. So I guess if she can design something the designing part is not all that hard. Sure you can make it hard by trying to out do what someone else here has done. But I am a firm believer in know your own limitations as well as the machines. Baby steps if you don't mind the term.

fwharris
03-31-2008, 01:50 PM
I am now in the process of letting my 11 year old daughter design and run a project she says she wants to learn woodworking hopefully I will be able to post a picture of what she designs won't be till next week lots of homework to do first. So I guess if she can design something the designing part is not all that hard. Sure you can make it hard by trying to out do what someone else here has done. But I am a firm believer in know your own limitations as well as the machines. Baby steps if you don't mind the term.

Joe,
You might be surprised!! The kids are a wiz at these things. Can't wait to see what she comes up with..